Looking for a New Surefire...

BravoFoxtrot

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to CPF and have found this forum an invaluable tool in attaining flashlight knowledge. After researching everything ad nauseum, I think I've decided on 2 lights. Now it gets tricky....I can't decide between the two.

Here are the intended uses:
1) Camping - I camp in remote parts of Colorado backcountry and having a good light is paramount for everything from night land nav to identifying critters (bears/cougars/crackheads). Battery life and useful output are key.

2) Fishing/Hunting - Battery life is probably the biggest thing (especially when quartering an animal at night). But being able to really throw a beam to find an ice fishing spot or to work your way out of a draw with a quartered elk in tow would be nice.

3) SD Light - It will be paired with a Glock for defense.

I'm sticking to Surefire only even though there are a lot of reputable and quality light mfg's out there. Here are the two models I've narrowed it down to. (Note - If I'm missing a better model, please suggest it!)

E2DL
U2 Ultra

Thanks in advance!
Joe

Caveat - I've been to a ton of stores trying to do a comparison, but it seems everyone is sold out of SF models I'm looking for.

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
I really like the E2DL. It throws great and the 2 stages are great for battery conservation. Can't go wrong with this light.
:welcome:

Ny0ng1

Enlightened

U2A (U2 with seoul led instead of lux5) would do better job at 1) and 2)
E2DL would do better job at 3)

I personally recommend U2A if you can afford it :thumbsup:

Niconical

Enlightened
E2DL, definately.

You've clearly done the groundwork yourself, which is why that light is on your shortlist. The beam it puts out on high is stunning, and in the dark of night (and I'm guessing it gets pretty dark in the remote parts of Colorado backcountry) the low level is good for moving around.

I would suggest one thing though, add a F04 beam diffuser. This makes it much more pocketable (stops those sharp crenellations ripping your pocket), and it can easily be removed when needed. With it, light up a room, without it, light up one of those critters you mentioned on the other side of the field.

BravoFoxtrot

Newly Enlightened
The E2DL is definitely the front runner. The E2L is also intriguing. How do these compare for my intended uses. Note - My last light was a G2L and I thought it did a pretty good job.

Thanks for the replies!
Joe

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own an E2DL, but that one looks really nice and I'm glad I have to contact my Surefire dealer who has to order it. If he had it in stock and would wave with it, my wallet would divorce me! ;)

On the other hand, I chose the U2, I have the "old" model, with the Luxeon V. The 100 lumen are enough, the 2 lumen are probably 5 to 7 lumen and not low enough, the 4 stages between fit everywhere. It is a tank built, you can use it as a hammer, you can wash it and you surely can useit for SD. With the diffuser, you miss nothing (the E2DL may have more throw though).

But, you nearly get 2 E2DL for the price of a U2! So, think of the price difference and the size difference. Do you want it little or big?

If they only had the Invictus ready... :candle:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to CPF and have found this forum an invaluable tool in attaining flashlight knowledge. After researching everything ad nauseum, I think I've decided on 2 lights. Now it gets tricky....I can't decide between the two.

Here are the intended uses:
1) Camping - I camp in remote parts of Colorado backcountry and having a good light is paramount for everything from night land nav to identifying critters (bears/cougars/crackheads). Battery life and useful output are key.

2) Fishing/Hunting - Battery life is probably the biggest thing (especially when quartering an animal at night). But being able to really throw a beam to find an ice fishing spot or to work your way out of a draw with a quartered elk in tow would be nice.

3) SD Light - It will be paired with a Glock for defense.

I'm sticking to Surefire only even though there are a lot of reputable and quality light mfg's out there. Here are the two models I've narrowed it down to. (Note - If I'm missing a better model, please suggest it!)

E2DL
U2 Ultra

Thanks in advance!
Joe

Caveat - I've been to a ton of stores trying to do a comparison, but it seems everyone is sold out of SF models I'm looking for.
I camp alot with my E2DL, it is just perfect for that. You can't go wrong with either one though. the U2 is still in a class of its own.

Snow

Enlightened
What about the A2? Additionally, have you considered a cheap headlamp to pair with your Surefire?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The E2DL is definitely the front runner. The E2L is also intriguing. How do these compare for my intended uses
My two cents, go for the E-series. I think the 3 lumen low of the E2L would be better than the 5 lumen low of the E2DL in the dark of wilderness - SF lumens are pretty darn bright, especially when there isn't city-type ambient light. Regarding the crennelations vs strike bezels, there is a pretty good thread running on strike bezels that you might find interesting:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211516
Additionally, have you considered a cheap headlamp to pair with your Surefire?
+1, headlamps are underrated here on Planet Flashlight, the little Petzl Zipka headlamps fit in any pocket and complement any flashlight quite well out in the boonies.
K

Last edited:

BravoFoxtrot

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions!

I have a handful of headlamps (Petzl, Black Diamond, Princeton Tech), but still still like having a quality torch for the serious work. I'm sure almost everyone can relate. :twothumbs

prime77

Enlightened
My vote goes for the E2L for your hunting and fishing needs. While E2DL with twice the output of the E2L is impressive. You get 6 hours of 100% output with the E2L and about 1 hour and 40 minutes with the E2DL before it drops. For me the 4+ hours of runtime is good trade off for the 60 lumens less of output. And the E2L can still easily out throw your G2L that you were pleased with. Heres some shots to help you decide.

James

020-5.jpg

025-1.jpg

BravoFoxtrot

Newly Enlightened
Well low and behold the Denver Flagship REI had the E2L (2008 model) in stock. I stopped in and checked out. Very nice! I also find out that I get 20% off(sale they currently have). Even better! When checking out I'm told I still have a dividend left. So I left paying a little over $40 for the torch.

Needless to say, I'm pleased! Thanks for the suggestions! It definitely made purchasing a new light significantly easier!

Joe

1996alnl

Enlightened
Congradulations on your purchase Bravofoxtrot and welcome to CPF.
I don't own a E2L (yet) but i've heard very positive things about this light,mainly the incredible runtimes.
I just might pick one up,i do however own a E2DL and boy does this light still amaze me.
My freinds can't believe the amount of light that comes from this small torch,it'll compete with my 200+lumen lights NO PROBLEM.
I made it more pocketable by grinding down the strike bezel a bit with an angle grinder.Now the light is a bit shorter and more comfortable to handle/carry.
It also has more sidespill and the "flower" shape is gone.

astark

Newly Enlightened

U2A (U2 with seoul led instead of lux5) would do better job at 1) and 2)
E2DL would do better job at 3)

I personally recommend U2A if you can afford it :thumbsup:

Another vote for the U2A, I have one and use in the same applications you have described and absolutely love it.

prime77

Enlightened
Well low and behold the Denver Flagship REI had the E2L (2008 model) in stock. I stopped in and checked out. Very nice! I also find out that I get 20% off(sale they currently have). Even better! When checking out I'm told I still have a dividend left. So I left paying a little over $40 for the torch.
Congratulations on your E2L it's sounds like you got a awesome deal.

suertetres

Newly Enlightened
My vote is the G2LED- I'm a huge fan of the polymer lights, good bright "anything" proof light!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I know this is supposed to be a Surefire only thread but have you looked at non-Surefire lights?

Many lights could work for all those tasks.

1) Well, many lights will fit here. If you don't mind non Surefire lights, the size, output, throw, and beampattern of the light will help narrow down the pack. If you want Surefire only, The E2DL or E2L might work.

2) some good headlamp sounds better then a handheld light for this task.

3) There is actually a good number of lights that fit here too. The normal Surefire ones should be good. Many people might say a 6P with the Malkoff M60 drop-in.

Bruce B

Enlightened
I'd say my vote is for the E2DL, with a F04 diffuser as a accessory. From what I've seen, it's a great light and very bright. It also can double as a "last ditch" self-defense tool if needed.

Latest posts