Fenix LD10 or Nitecore D10?

Art

Enlightened
Hi,
I did some searching but I could not find much help in this.

Lights are really getting into my system so I need a new EDC for my as the LL P7 is a bit heavy and the L0D is too small... sometimes I fear to lose it looking inside cars engines...

So , I need something that the low doesnt hurt my eyes when I am asleep and turn the flashlight on :huh:
I see both have a low low but the D10 has a really low one probably better and enough for this situation.

I can get both for the same price and I need something really strong that will still work after falling into water or hard into the ground.
Saw some Nitecores that had problems braking in the top juntion... is this corrected allready?
About the fenix , is the low mode 9 lumens possible to have in the first click?

Is there any test or runtime of the LD10 allready? I saw some tests with beamshots but no runtime only for the L1D.

Regards,

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can get both for the same price and I need something really strong that will still work after falling into water or hard into the ground.
Saw some Nitecores that had problems braking in the top juntion... is this corrected allready?
About the fenix , is the low mode 9 lumens possible to have in the first click?

Mine is pretty tough; it's come off the bike twice at 30MPH onto tarmac and still works great, albeit with a couple of dents and some wounded anodising! I hear the top junction problem has been corrected.

It's easy to get to 9 lumens on first click with the fenix, just loosen the head and turn it on.

I'd say you'll be fine with both, and both have an outstanding warranty and CS behind them if you buy from 4sevens. Personally, I'd go for the D10. There's just something about it that makes it such a usable light.... though the lack of anti-roll may annoy you.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're wanting a low low for dark-adjusted eyes, I would highly recommend the D10. The Fenix low isn't low enough for that situation in my opinion. You can get low on the first click with the D10.

My D10 has proven to be very durable and waterproof.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
And with the D10? Can you get low in the first click?

What you do is tap 3 times quickly from off to get to low from any mode.

first click=on, the next 2 quick clicks shortcuts low mode

If you stick the bezel against your leg/stomach/arm, then even if it turns on in high mode, you won't ruin your night vision. IMO the lowest level of the D10 is very good; bright enough to be useful without dark adapted eyes, and dim enough to be usable with dark adapted eyes. 9 lumens from the fenix is too much for dark adapted eyes, but a really good level for general close range tasks. They both max out at about the same level on a NiMH.

Art

Enlightened
humm, does that meen I cant go into low mode without "flashing" the high mode?
Thats like my led lensers and I dont like that very much for a edc... no way to turn on the D10 in the low mode without ramping or getting it on in high?

I read that if I pre select a level of light each time I turn it on will turn on in that level BUT if I go into high it will lose that preset?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you turn it to low before you turn it off, it'll turn on in low. Then just ramp to the desired brightness level; it's a really simple UI, and I like it a lot.

Think of it as a single mode light which can shortcut to max or min quickly, rather than a light which you can save the previous level on.

Newly Enlightened
Another benefit of the D10 is the piston drive makes no noise, in a quiet bedroom in the middle of the night a clicky switch can be surprisingly loud.

Go for the D10, it is a great light.

kenzo

Newly Enlightened
I have both and I can say I prefer the LD10 (Even though i think the D10 is still an AWESOME light - Just have been Edcing the fenix more). Mine seems so much brighter than the D10 and has a much much nicer tint (It is a nice and warm white) compared to the pure white of the D10.

The LD10 also feels much more "solid" then the D10.

Art

Enlightened
I have both and I can say I prefer the LD10 (Even though i think the D10 is still an AWESOME light - Just have been Edcing the fenix more). Mine seems so much brighter than the D10 and has a much much nicer tint (It is a nice and warm white) compared to the pure white of the D10.

The LD10 also feels much more "solid" then the D10.

Is your D10 a GDP? I see the GDP have much warmer and nicer tint...

Something I dont understand is this foto:
d10.jpg

Its a D10 under and the EX10 over it? Does the D10 have also the same bazel(forgot how to write this...)?

Regards,

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
D10 under an EX10. The EX10 is wider, but uses the same reflector, so has a SS bezel to make up the gap between the body and reflector.

Art

Enlightened
I been reading for some hours now, the forum and with some help of google and found a lot of D10 malfunctioning... about the Fenix L1D or LD10 did not found any problems.
So , I have the risk of receiving a bad D10 that will brake or malfunction and since I won´t probably find a good dealer as you have there in USA that changes your D10 if the brake or malfunction I think I will not risk 50€ for that.

Is there anyway I can at least confirm the D10 is a different "made" that does not break in the top part? Like serial numbers or something?

Regards,

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both very good lights. The D10 is brand new. They have not had as much time as Fenix to iron out any imperfections. That's not a knock on the D10. Any problems I have read about have been resolved. Both lights have well deserved good reputations. I prefer the Fenix. Its low is low enough for me. I like that I can go directly into low or high when I start my light. I also like that the Fenix will not give a flash before it goes into low.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I have the D10, EX10 and also the Fenix L1D and PD20. There are things I like about all of them. I think you could be happy with either light. The Nitecore's low is very nice. I'm not completely thrilled with the user interface. If I'm taking a walk or something at night, it is no big deal to adjust the light. If I'm working on equipment during the day and need a quick flash of light to read a part number or find a bolt hole, the time to adjust the Nitecore becomes significant to me. For everyday use, I prefer the Fenix. The low setting is usually all I need to see what I'm working on.
If you are camping or star watching or something like that, the Fenix low will mess up your night vision. The D10 is a winner for sure for those situations. However, for waking up in darkness at home, yes, the Fenix is a little bright. But I would not say it hurts my eyes. Once I'm out of the bedroom and down the hall, I'll be flipping on the kitchen light to get the coffee going anyway. Turning on the D10 at full power when you get out of bed does hurt the eyes though.

Art

Enlightened
Comparing the L1D vs LD10, leaving the design difference apart, is probably a better runtime chart isn't it?

I really dont feel like risking buing the D10... I love the design and the low low its nice.. but so many malfuntions and faliures I saw on youtube and this forum I will not risk.

Thanks for all the help , hope one day the D10 will come without any problems and a better UI ... that day I will proudly order one ;)

Regards,

cruisemissile

Enlightened
Another benefit of the D10 is the piston drive makes no noise, in a quiet bedroom in the middle of the night a clicky switch can be surprisingly loud.

Go for the D10, it is a great light.

piston drive is what has me interested, looks unique. and well-built.
I'm considering a nitecore.