DIY - Tiny Split Rings - Yes, I said TINY...(UPDATED)

flashlife

Enlightened
Tired of scrounging for little split rings?
Tired of buying $1 dollar-store lights just the get the split ring off the so-called 'lanyard'? ... Me Too !

Now you can produce your own tiny rings in a few minutes !:naughty:

Here's a pic of a couple on my keychain, on a SOG Micron, and an E01:
SPLRINGS.jpg

1. The Setup:
Go to Home Depot and get a package of little extension springs, like these: ($2 - $3)
Note that you want Extension springs, with the coils together...not compression springs.
SPRINGS.jpg

2. The DIY:
Stretch the spring slightly to separate the coils. A couple of small nails in a scrap board will hold the spring open.
Using a Dremel tool with a thin cutoff disk, carefully cut thru the spring, cutting off about 2-4 coils. After the 1st cut the spring will snap closed, so a pair of needle-nose pliers with a rubber band around the handle makes a good clamp to pull the spring back open for the 2nd cut.
I used a diamond cutoff disk from Harbor Freight Tools...http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31501 ... these work great and don't wear down nor produce abrasive dust.

Here's a pic showing the jig to stretch the spring and the "cut direction" to orient your cutoff disk so that the cut ends of the spring/ring lay flat and don't snag your fingers and pockets.
SPRJIG.jpg

3. The Hard Part:
Because they're so small and the wire is so tiny, to get these onto your light, lanyard, whatever, you may need to use a magnifier and pointy tweezers to string it onto your hardware.

The quarter inch ones shown above are plenty strong for the job, but if you want more strength, cut off more coils, or get a larger spring.

Enjoy !!:naughty:

Edited: To add jig and cut direction info..11/24/08

Last edited:

Nubo

Enlightened
Re: DIY - Tiny Split Rings - Yes, I said TINY...

Brilliant!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

What a great idea!

No more "memory" effect from trying to get tiny split rings onto big things!

:thumbsup:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

kewl idea.... you could also click on the link in my sig too and I would send you a few....

flashlife

Enlightened

kewl idea.... you could also click on the link in my sig too and I would send you a few....

Thanks, Lynx.
I got all I need right now. Your rings are probably more professional, but as you can see from the photo, I've still got several inches of 1/4" spring that I can cut up. :) That'll do me for a while.:grin2:

Regards.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I like instant solutions and your idea I never thought of, I give it a :twothumbs If you want to post in my thread a link to this thread as an alternate idea/source I think others may appreciate your solution when it could take a week or so for them to get rings from me in the mail.

flashlife

Enlightened

I like instant solutions and your idea I never thought of, I give it a :twothumbs If you want to post in my thread a link to this thread as an alternate idea/source I think others may appreciate your solution when it could take a week or so for them to get rings from me in the mail.

Thanks, Lynx. :D
I posted a link in your thread.

BTW, I updated my original post with a diagram showing the stretch jig, and also how to cut the spring so the finished ring doesn't snag.

Best Regards.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
You can get good quality tiny split rings from a tackle shop or bass pro shop for really cheap. I don't think you could diy a split ring as small as some of the smallest size ones sold at tackle shops.

I'm not trying to crap on your thread here but some things aren't worth diying. Split rings come in 10-20 packs for like 2 dollars at a tackle shop.

1 what

Enlightened
Hi Flashlife.
Great idea and to think it was right under our noses and most of us hadn't seen it. Thanks.

flashlife

Enlightened
You can get good quality tiny split rings from a tackle shop or bass pro shop for really cheap. I don't think you could diy a split ring as small as some of the smallest size ones sold at tackle shops.

I'm not trying to crap on your thread here but some things aren't worth diying. Split rings come in 10-20 packs for like 2 dollars at a tackle shop.

Thanks, Nigel.

Heck, I've DIY'd my own reflector by using an 82° countersink to hog a conical reflector for a 5mm LED out of a 1/4"X20 stainless machine nut. After a little polishing, it worked great. I know I could have bought one that size somewhere, but I had the parts, tools, know-how, and desire on hand and just did it. :)

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey guys I found a another source for split rings like that...and they come in various sizes in one package.

ALEN drivers...that come in a split ring bundle...each one is kept in the bundle with a spring like the ones that flashlife showed...

enjoy, Kostas