New or old NovaTac quality.

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
What are the differences between the old and new NovaTacs?
Are the new ones of lower quality?

Wondering because lighthound.com is selling the new black colored 120P a good $40 cheaper than the older gray 120P.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a thread that discusses the lowering of QC on the
third generation of Novatacs (serial #30000+ )

Let me try and find it

Snow

Enlightened
The black ones have more aggressive knurling, which I prefer. I wouldn't think there is any reason to believe a significant difference in quality exists.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Splunk_Au

Read this thread HERE

@Streetmaster ... I dont think you can tell from a photo, unless you see the serial number :(
I would think that the reported QC problems with the third run would have
been corrected by now.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the black ones started with a serial number of 2XXXX, which I would think is the second run.

streetmaster

Enlightened
All the black ones started with a serial number of 2XXXX, which I would think is the second run.

OK, and as far as I know those are fine. It was the beginning of the 3XXXX that had issues. So the only way of telling which ones LightHound has is by asking them.

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
Before the 20-000 run did Novatac offer both gray (later black) and natural color?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that not only has overall quality dropped from the 20k lights to the 30k lights, but they are no longer using Type III anodizing. I think the new ones are all Type II.

Easy way to test for sure, find an inconspicuous spot on your light (maybe on the inside somewhere) and try to scratch it. Type III will be very difficult to scratch, type II on the other hand should scratch easily.