Need advice- good, economical LED light

carya

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a decent quality but inexpensive led light to keep around the house for the family to use? I carry a Fenix L0D-CE and L2T v2.0, but need something cheaper to keep around in case the kids lose it. I'm looking for:
2AA power
~20-25$ or less
~50 lumens- not keychain _or_ spotlight brightness, but in the middle.
good balance of output and runtime- prefer a regulated light.
No Kai / DX mail order "treasures"

Nice to have a click switch, not a twisty, prefer one of the new high efficiency leds- CREE, etc. Also adjustable focus is a nice feature.

I'm considering the Coleman max cree 2AA, Lowes cree energizer hardcase, minimag led 2AA, these all have some shortcomings but maybe someone has a better option or can recommend one of these over the others.

Thanks, Folks.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thay may be your best bet, most of the 2xAA lights in that price range I can think of are brighter than 50 lumens.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fifty lumens is a lot of light for around the house. I personally prefer the Streamlight Stylus Pro. 2 AAA and about 20-25 lumens, with a clip, and in a package about the same size as a Sharpie. I EDCed mine for a while before I went back to my G2 as my EDC. I carried it in my shirt pocket just like a pen, and used it for just about everything, especially lighting up dark corners in cupboards and under beds. It is also small and light enough to be able to lip it for a while if you need both hands, without dislocating your jaw.

It is rated for 2 hrs or so with regular alkaline, but This_Is_Nascar ran some tests and said that if one used Lithium AAAs the runtime should about double. All for $20. Such a deal. You could also get the SF Microstream, its smaller 1 AA brother. Obviously shorter and lighter, but about half the runtime and only about $5 cheaper at most.

GPB

Enlightened
There's an Energizer 2 x AA light that comes in either 1 or 3 watt that you can pick up at Target or Walmart for about $20. I went with the 3 watt (since I always use rechargeables I don't worry about battery life too much ), but here's a link to the 1 watt if you prefer:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Ener...17428/catOid/-13165/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
It seems pretty weather proof, durable, and is available at a brick and mortar store. Mine has good tint and brightness and I retired my MinimagLED when I got this one.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Visit Lowes on the Friday after Thanksgiving and buy a few MagLED 2AA (or 3AA) flashlights. They are reasonably bright, and for the price won't hurt too much if they get lost, or damaged.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
How about the River Rock 2AA at Target? I don't know its lumen ratings but from my experience with it the light seems quite bright and durable. It also has adjustable focus.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Again, the Duracell Daylight- 80 lumens 2AA version. Economical? LIFETIME guarantee from a trusted company. Excellent flooder. Perfect for indoor use. Nice looking, adjustable spot to flood.

$23, free shipping on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=2804671697&ref=pd_sl_154ews5e2f_e

Also heard you can get a 2 pack of Daylites ( 1x 3AAA version + 1x 2AA version) for $30 at Costco.

Walmart also sells them, so if you don't like it take it back the same day.

Latest posts