Schmutz in C2 Tube

edc3

Enlightened
I got a Surefire C2 last week and I'm wondering if it's normal to have a little greenish schmutz in the tube.

Any idea what it is? Something from the anodizing process? The flashlight functions perfectly and if it's a purely cosmetic thing - not to mention one I'll almost never see, I could give a rat's behind. But I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this. My 6P is perfectly clean on the inside.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well in another thread I have posted a pic of my 6P with machining marks (drill chatter) in the tube...

Go figure...

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Way back in about 1969, I worked one summer for an electronics manufacturer in Ottawa. They made industrial radio gear that was mounted in anodized aluminum housings.

They would dip bare aluminum housings into an electrolyte bath using clips to anodize them with an electric current. When complete, the housings were drawn out of the bath and the electrolyte was allowed to drain and drip off.

Often, the liquid would not drain off smoothly and completely, particularly at the bottom edges. The result was uneven and cosmetically imperfect, but obviously good enough for the intended purpose. The housings were normally rack-mounted and not exposed to public gaze.

I think the schmutz you refer to has been created by the same 'dripping' effect described above. If you've seen how the process was done, you'd see how difficult it is to get it cosmetically perfect.

I imagine the manufacturer is saying that the imperfections are on the interior of the flashlight barrels and have no negative effect on their functionality.

edc3

Enlightened
Thanks for your explanation PhotonBoy. That sounds like what happened. If it amounts to a "cosmetic imperfection" I'm not the least bit worried. What I am worried about is corrosion in my new $100+ light. I've sent an email to Surefire customer service. I'm hoping they'll tell me pretty much what you told me so I can forget about it.

edc3

Enlightened
FWIW, based on CPF reports here, SF's CS is best phoned for better & faster results.

You're right. They never replied to my email. Kind of crappy for a company not to reply to their customer service email, but I don't plan on calling them. Based on what PhotonBoy wrote, it's a dead issue to me.

I'm loving my C2! :twothumbs