Too much light!

jeremyison05

Newly Enlightened
So I was setting in a dark recital hall last night trying to read some program notes. I pulled out my P3D and clicked it on only to instantly blind myself and ruin my night vision. So, i'll probably grab a fenix E01 for my keychain for that from now on. However it's 10 lumens may not be much better, as it's rated the same as the P3D's low, but i'm guessing it will be less intense and more floody.

Anyway, i'ma grab the E01 regardless, because it's a nice keychain light, but does anyone have suggestions for something with an extremely low low to either replace my P3D as my EDC or something small to carry on a keychain to complement it?

Christmass time is commin up soon, so i'm due for atleast one new light from the parents! :party:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
If you sand the nichia dome on the E01 it will cut some Lumens and further flood out the beam. I did this with my Inova X1-V2 and am very happy with the result. 8-9 Lumens is about right to preserve my night vision.

Those Photon freedoms are REALLY useful little buggers. I gave one to my wife and shes very happy with it. She sets it for around half power.

jeremyison05

Newly Enlightened
That was extremely fast Marduke. I've been lookin at the Photon freedoms, and I may add that to my list.

For anyone else who has suggestions, the only thing i'm ruling out is something completely custom, as i'm trying to get this as a Christmass gift, and there's no way they'll get me a light over $100.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
That was extremely fast Marduke. I've been lookin at the Photon freedoms, and I may add that to my list.

For anyone else who has suggestions, the only thing i'm ruling out is something completely custom, as i'm trying to get this as a Christmass gift, and there's no way they'll get me a light over $100.

You should also consider the streamlight nano. Although its direct drive:(

Ive been happy with my Gerber tempo its around 7 Lumens. Although I would not buy one on the www. The first one I bought had a severely off center emitter so I took it back to REI and hand picked through the stock to find one with a centered emitter. Although if youre going to spend ~$10 on the gerber you may as well spend a few $$$ more and get the E01, its a far better light IMHO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nHrLU6VfN4

the gerber infinity ultra also deserves a mention... as does the Surefire A2 and E1B, the latter having a 5 Lumen low-low mode.

I like my Inova X1, Version 2 with the sanded nichia dome, for night vision preserving light. Don't get the V3 or V1 though.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS or Jet II (1xAA vs 1xCR123) may be a bit big for keychain carry though, but its programable and the lowest low is lower than the E01 (darn was that alliteration or what?)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nite core D10 or EX10 on lowest setting is really low and easy to read by, without hurting your eyes in pitch black. And its easy to get there and back to max.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Might i suggest a Peak Matterhorn 1 led HP AAA lug body for a keychain light. The 1 led HP light is 34 candlepower or about 5 lumens and around $30. Great lights, a HA 3 led Matterhorn in a lug body just replaced an E01 as my keychain light. The 3 led might be too bright at 15 lumens per your request. They also have diffuser caps to soften the beam even more.

Here's a link to MWClint's thread regarding Peak products.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=212589

StarHalo

Flashaholic
+1 for the JetBeams, their 2 lumen low is dim enough to read by without ruining your night vision. The Jet II IBS also has a removable head/reflector assembly for bare emitter use, which gives you a beautifully smooth and even reading light.

nars42

Newly Enlightened
+1 for Peak.

Just ordered a brass 3 red led matterhorn the other day. If you want something that definitely won't ruin your night vision, think about getting a red led light.

Kevo

Newly Enlightened
The LiteFlux LF2 or LF2X are great AAA keychain lights. It's a two position twisty. You can access other modes, but I basically keep mine set up as a low, medium arrangement. Works great, and I can access a very bright 100% quickly when needed.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive been doing work in a dark theatre these past few days....

Its a place where you need a dim light, but also a very bright light at a moment's notice (this is all the tech stuff before that actual show)

My EDC listed below has come in very handy, so has my New Spartanian II

the above mentioned LF2X is also a good one..

my fenix Eo also helped alot...

Crenshaw

ja10

Enlightened
This might seem really primitive, but if I'm in a situation like that, I always turn the light on with a two fingers over the bezel. A little light comes through the crack between my fingers, and I don't disturb anyone with extra side spill.

Even if your light is in "high" mode, you won't blind yourself or others around you.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only thing i dont like about the LF2X, it cant sustain its Max output for too long....dont charge the battery, and normal use over maybe 2-3 days will get you a blinking low voltage warning...

thats why my Max is only on the "special" setting.

Crenshaw

hopkins

Enlightened
Red LED's Jeremy. One of those 9volt battery red LED flashlights would do for that quick check of notes and not ruin night vision or annoy others.
Maybe glue/tape a red piece of plastic on your E01. cheap and reversable...

Last edited:

jeremyison05

Newly Enlightened
I've got a red led peak brass something or another that runs off N-cells. But I can't put my finger on it anymore. I let my wife borrow it for an astronomy class and I've not seen it since. I need to locate it...

HKJ

Flashaholic
The new LF3XT, the low is so low that your can look directly into the led without being blinded and at full power it is a very capable flashlight.

If your do not like a complex flashlight, just keep it in its simple mode.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Freedom Micro

It'll come on as dim as you want.

+1

I like Photon's Li-ion rechargeable keychain light, which has 4 LEDs that will come on very bright or very, very dim -- or anything in between. You recharge it by attaching tiny jumper cables to almost any other battery, such as a D alkaline or a NiMH AA.

It makes a great gift because people like the extreme brightness of such a small light and the unique recharging system. And the light always kicks off a conversation.