Spartanian II, Production run. Small Review *PICTURE HEAVY*

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
CopyofIMG_0348.jpg

So i bought this light from the preorder...its a pretty neat little thrower! and looks good too.

IMG_0393.jpg

The Macros for the KNurling, this really grips your skin!

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

Nice little pouch it came in

IMG_0411.jpg

Flood Reflector, focused on the iner part

IMG_0417.jpg

Flood reflector, focused on the outer part
IMG_0418.jpg

Perfectly centerered..

IMG_0396.jpg

The Flood Reflector

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

1/3200, 1.8 the first one is the Throw reflector, the second one is the flood reflector
IMG_0430-1.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

Tiablo A9 on left Spartanian II on right underexposed (differnt setting then above)

DSC00927.jpg

My Lux Readings:
Light Lux @ 1m
Ex10 1130
Nitecore Extreme 2850
Jet-1 pro first gen 2740
Tiablo A9 16840
Malkoff 3430
Spartanian 2 6710

you cant really compare my lux numbers to anyone elses due to differences when measuring

just wanted to put the photos up first....wite up will come in a bit!

Crenshaw

Last edited:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could, essentially, call any knurling pattern the same as every other knurling pattern. But there are little details to each of them.

There's cut knurling - like on the LiteFluxes and HDS's. It looks clean and neat but it's less grippy and aggressive. There's "compressed" knurling, in which material gets "bunched" in the hills. That one's more agressive because the hills are rough instead of smooth. There's square knurling and rhomboid knurling. Etc. etc.

This one seems to be on the extreme side of the aggressive scale - it's rhomboid, with sharper angles in the lengthwise direction and it looks a bit deeper than usual, so the vertices where the sides of the hills meet have pretty sharp angles themselves.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could, essentially, call any knurling pattern the same as every other knurling pattern. But there are little details to each of them.

There's cut knurling - like on the LiteFluxes and HDS's. It looks clean and neat but it's less grippy and aggressive. There's "compressed" knurling, in which material gets "bunched" in the hills. That one's more agressive because the hills are rough instead of smooth. There's square knurling and rhomboid knurling. Etc. etc.

This one seems to be on the extreme side of the aggressive scale - it's rhomboid, with sharper angles in the lengthwise direction and it looks a bit deeper than usual, so the vertices where the sides of the hills meet have pretty sharp angles themselves.
+1

Thank you! That's exactly how I see it. Very good post.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting, I thought the term "knurling" specifically referred to the cold forming process you refer to as "compressed" knurling.

I didn't realize this "cut" knurling was so widely used on flashlights. I had a close look at my Ra Clicky Classic, and you are absolutely right, that does appear to be cut. I did not know that.

If it's cut rather than cold formed, would that not technically be a cylindrical checkering rather than "knurling"?

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it would, but everyone calls it knurling too, so... :shrug: :)
BTW, it's interesting how Spartanian's tailcap and ring have different knurling patterns.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, it's interesting how Spartanian's tailcap and ring have different knurling patterns.

Once again, I still think it's the same pattern, just different depths. I've done some knurling on lathes in the past and I remember it being fairly difficult getting different pieces to look completely consistent in terms of knurling depth.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, it probably is just a difference in depth, but if it is, it's pretty huge (about 50%).

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually they are indeed slightly differnt, the knurling around the ring seems to have been "cut off" so to speak...like, imagine if you cut the tip of a pyrimid off, while the tail knurling is a full pyrimid...

i really have to find a time that isnt 3am to do this write up..:s

Crenshaw

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually they are indeed slightly differnt, the knurling around the ring seems to have been "cut off" so to speak...like, imagine if you cut the tip of a pyrimid off, while the tail knurling is a full pyrimid...

It's not that the pyramid tips are cut off, the knurling tool was simply not plunged as deep as it was on the tail. The deeper you plunge the tool (i.e. the more pressure you use) the closer the knurling gets to look like a full pyramid.

As mentioned before, the knurling is not cut. The top surface of the metal is "squashed" into that shape by the knurling tool.