Malkoff M60F to replace L4 for flood?

faucon

Enlightened
I'm contemplating getting a Malkoff M60F (flood) drop-in to produce a brighter floody beam than my revered Surefire L4. I would probably use a 6P as host. Would this combo be at all comparable to the L4 in terms of beam pattern?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this exact thread ran a couple of days ago...anyway...since I got my M60F, my L4 is basically retired. The M60 is brighter, more even, broader and (IIRC) has a longer runtime. My M60F is pre-"W" but is nevertheless very warm in tint, much better than my L4 (which is among the best of the L4s I've seen).

The only thing that might sway you toward the L4 at this point is the slimmer E-series body and the clickie (if that's your preference and if you disregard the checkered service history of the E-series clickies).

I'm contemplating getting a Malkoff M60F (flood) drop-in to produce a brighter floody beam than my revered Surefire L4. I would probably use a 6P as host. Would this combo be at all comparable to the L4 in terms of beam pattern?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The L4 is a bit floodier but the Malkoff is going to run longer and not burn your hand.
Also the Malkoff will not have an LED lifespan of 500 hours like the newest Lux V L4's.
You will have a fatter body to deal with however.

Agent_Jaws

Newly Enlightened
I have a M60L and it is brighter than my L4 and puts out plenty of flood. An M60F should be significantly brighter. Like JNewell my L4 is now retired to back-up duty.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is a bit floodier but the Malkoff is going to run longer and not burn your hand.
Also the Malkoff will not have an LED lifespan of 500 hours like the newest Lux V L4's.
You will have a fatter body to deal with however.
I agree with that, but I'd rather have an Wolf-Eyes Sniper P7 than a Malkoff for flood purposes, hands down! The Wolfie spanks the living crap out of the M60F and the Sniper body is smaller than a typical 2xCR123 SureFire host-- not to mention it accepts 18650 batteries. What's not to like??

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I agree with that, but I'd rather have an Wolf-Eyes Sniper P7 than a Malkoff for flood purposes, hands down! The Wolfie spanks the living crap out of the M60F and the Sniper body is smaller than a typical 2xCR123 SureFire host-- not to mention it accepts 18650 batteries. What's not to like??

In a side by side comparison between your Sniper and your M60F the Sniper is has much better flood. The difference in output, 170 lumens, advertised for the Sniper, and the Malkoff M60F at 220 or so, tested has no effect and the Sniper still wins. I am wondering as I do not have a Sniper or M60F, but do have an L4, which has a great flood indoors and outside.

Bill

faucon

Enlightened
Thanks for the info,everyone. I'm not familiar with the Wolf-Eyes so I'll have a look. The Malkoff also sounds very good, and I like the brightness and the fact that unlike the L4 it sounds like it won't get almost unbearably hot. I do like the slim profile of my L4, though...

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a side by side comparison between your Sniper and your M60F the Sniper is has much better flood. The difference in output, 170 lumens, advertised for the Sniper, and the Malkoff M60F at 220 or so, tested has no effect and the Sniper still wins. I am wondering as I do not have a Sniper or M60F, but do have an L4, which has a great flood indoors and outside.

Bill
The Sniper P7 is rated at 580 lumens, not 170.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-139-99-150-6565

faucon

Enlightened
The P7 looks very good---I may just get one. The only thing that puts me off a little is the width of the head: at 47mm it's almost as wide as the head of my old 2D Mag. May be worth the trade-off, though!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
WE P7 light...........

Just never looked at it. I do not have a P7 light yet.

Lots of lumens for just 1 hour and it's 162 before shipping............... I will have to skip it for now.
Sure is bright though!

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
To retain the slim overall form factor, you could sell the KL4 off your L4 and use the funds toward the purchase of a Z44, M60F, and TnC E2C adapter. It would look something like this taken from Sgt.LED's thread, only with a Z57 tailcap and matching ano.

SU1HMDA1MzAuanBn.jpg

You'd get more output, it wouldn't run as hot, and you'd retain a forward clicky as opposed to a LOTC on the 6P, as mentioned by JNewell.

Even still, nothing can replace my L4 IMO.

faucon

Enlightened
Thanks, brighterisbetter---that's a nice setup! I'd find it hard to sell my L4, but I do happen to have an extra KL4 head---I could sell that and make good use of the extra money (which is tight for me these days as for many of us).

Last edited: