A few Arc-LS burn tests for 2AA tsp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
All these were done with the same Arc-LSL Standard. I used 3 different brands of batteries: Standard Duracells, the blue and silver Rayovac Maximums, and Kirkland AA's from Costco. The Duracells and Kirklands had a march 2009 expiration date and the Rayovacs had a December 2010 expiration.
Tests 1 and 3 were done with the LS laying on a wooden desk, the LS was quite warm after each of these tests. Test 2 was done at night with the LS on top of a running metal bodied fan in an open window, which seems to have had a negative impact on battery life. The LS was barely warm after these tests.
Each test has an a and b part, part a is how long the batteries ran until the LS began to flicker signaling the drop to moon mode and the test was stopped. For part b the batteries were given a few hours to rest and then run until the LS began flickering again.

Test 1a Duracell - 1 hour 38 minutes
1b - 4 minutes 26 seconds

Test 2a Duracell - 1 hour 8 minutes
2b - 5 minutes 43 seconds

Test 3a Duracell - 1 hour 37 minutes
3b - 1 minute 31 seconds

Test 1a Rayovac - 1 hour 37 minutes
1b - 1 minute 24 seconds

Test 2a Rayovac - 1 hour 12 minutes
2b - 2 minutes 33 seconds

Test 3a Rayovac - 1 hour 32 minutes
3b - 1 minute 31 seconds

Test 1a Kirkland - 1 houre 21 minutes
1b - 4 minutes 3 seconds

Test 2a Kirkland - 55 minutes
2b - 3 minutes 28 seconds

Test 3a Kirkland - 1 hour 29 minutes
3b - 2 minutes 6 seconds

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice, I thought that you would get at least 2 hours with the 2AA power pack.

I just ordered a LSHP and looking to pick up the old 2AA with out the tail switch (If I can find one). Any Ides's.

Are you going to post some test running 123As?

ChrisA

Enlightened
I agree with Sean - using high-capacity NiMHs will give you longer runtimes. Just yesterday I let my EDC Arc SLS run during a Formula 1 GP-race which I always watch together with my Dad and some friends. There's a 2 hour time-limit and I turned the light on a couple of minutes before the start. I checked the output on every pit-stop at the fridge (cold beer is very important while watching /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) and it remained constant for about 1:50... The NiMHs I used were fresh (therefore the conditioning discharge-charge-cycle) 2000 mAhs, so I hope with some cycles these cells will power the Arc for well over 2 hours.

Chris

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
I was thinking about doing a test for 123s but I only have 4 right now and I'm rather cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, but I think I could spare 1 for a test. I never even thought to test rechargable AAs and I've got 8 1800 mah rayovac nimhs just sitting here. I guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend. I also want to find out how long the batteries will run after falling out of regulation, but I might not be patient enough for that.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This is true, so help me God Two nights ago I did a run test with my LSH-P, and MM, using 2000mAH Maha batteries(Powerex). Got 3/12 hours with my MM in Minimag, and 2/12 hours with my LSH-P. I noticed one battery in LSH was much lower voltage than the other after the run. That battery continues to be discharging unevenly. Batteries in MM showed no such issue. Point is, I think LSH will run longer with two good batteries. Will test later. Bill

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
A small update. I put 2 of the Rayovacs I used in my burn tests in the LS turned it on and let it go. 24 hours later it was still humming along at maybe 10 - 20% of the Arc aaa's output. I think it would still beat a solitaire.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Just finished 3 tests with my 1800 mah Rayovac NIMHs and was pleasantly surprised, I was hoping for 2 hours and got almost 3.

Test 1 - 2 hours 56 minutes
Test 2 - 2 hours 54 minutes
Test 3 - 3 hours 1 minute

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW that's pretty good, Thanks for the info. I just ordered a 2AA for my LSHP. I need to get some 1800 mah Rayovac NIMHs. Are you going to run any more test?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here's the runtime plot I did on one of the orgional LS Seconds back in Sept., '02. Alkaline batteries were used.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW...that is pretty good. After seeing your first 2AA tests I was quite surprised by its short runtime. But i see that NiMH batteries have a great advantage over regular alkalines.

Ever since Arc has changed the circuit design, i am having a hard time telling the difference in brightness between different battery chemistries; Fresh batteries, whether it be NiMH, Alkaline, or 123 Lithium, all output the same brightness. I wonder if AA lithiums still have an advantage with brighter light and longer runtimes. I know they did when Arc was using the older circuits. There were measuarable differences between different battery chemistries.

Great job! I've always wanted to know the AA runtimes on the new Arc LSs.

Status
Not open for further replies.