K2 Inova's???

rockz4532

Enlightened
i was at target the other day and saw the 2aa bolt with 3 watt led, so i looked in the buisiness end and saw a K2 in it! same with the X0, XO3 and Lithium Bolt. is this right?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K2 and TFFC K2 look almost the same unless you magnify the emitter or focus a magnified image of an emitter with an aspheric lens or magnifying loupe.The older K2s were very inefficient but brighter than the LUX IIIs and they may be the LEDs used in some of INOVA's lights.The only lights from INOVA that I'm sure are using TFFC K2s are the 2008 T-series lights.Hopefully Emissive Energy will convert all of thier lights to TFFC K2s or better but I don't know if they have done that yet.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
That's why I asked. The 2xAAA Bolt used a Luxeon PWT, where the 2xAA and 2xCR123 used a Lux III. I could easily see them upgrading the line to K2 TFFC's to match the rest, but this would be the first I've heard of them finding their way to the bolt lint.

rockz4532

Enlightened
That's why I asked. The 2xAAA Bolt used a Luxeon PWT, where the 2xAA and 2xCR123 used a Lux III. I could easily see them upgrading the line to K2 TFFC's to match the rest, but this would be the first I've heard of them finding their way to the bolt lint.
I am %1000000 sure they were a K2 LED. They were definately not a Lux III. I thought that was a bit strange too. i saw the distinctive orangish brown hexagon around the yellow part that i dont know what its called, but iirc that is a k2. next time i go to target ill take a pic of the emitter through the plastic and post it.
edit: the 2aaa bolt and the x1 still have the dim little pwt led

Last edited:

rockz4532

Enlightened
ok heres the pics
sorry, the iphones camera sucks, but i can see that it is a k2
24dlp9i.jpg

and another one
33m9buv.jpg

once again, sorry for the bad pictures. my dad took the camera on a buisiness trip

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
That seems pretty unambiguously to be a K2's internal heat sink. I think all Lux3 emitters used round copper heat sinks, and I see distinctive corners. No telling if it's a TFFC version, but that is interesting nonetheless.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
My 2xAA Bolt has a K2, but I'm assuming it must be the older K2, because I got it awhile ago. I don't think the TFFC's were being made when I got the light.

I think the runtime tests turned out okay for the 2xAA Bolt because they didn't try to drive the old K2 up to crazy heat loss levels.

rockz4532

Enlightened
whats TFFC? and the tint is neutral, well the one i tried was, it wasnt warm, and wasnt purple or green
edit: if you dont like the tint on one of them, you can just grab another off the rack

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats TFFC? and the tint is neutral, well the one i tried was, it wasnt warm, and wasnt purple or green
edit: if you dont like the tint on one of them, you can just grab another off the rack

The TFFC K2 is much more efficient than the original K2,I don't remember what TFFC stands for though. :thinking: The older K2s may be reasonably bright but the run time will be short compared to the TFFC K2 or other current generation LEDs.Many of the TFFC K2s and Rebels have warm tints but there is no guarantee that the tint will be warm.

BP2000

Newly Enlightened
I bought 2 X3's and 2 XO's in the last few months and they both are very warm tinted. (2008 date code on the package)

BP2000

Newly Enlightened
I compared them to some of the other more bluish tinted ones and found that they were easier to see as I aimed them at the store ceiling. It could be the tint but they looked somewhat brighter to me.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need someone with a magnifying glass to look at them. The emitter will have a bunch of waffle like holes in the die if it's the TFFC.

BP2000

Newly Enlightened
We need someone with a magnifying glass to look at them. The emitter will have a bunch of waffle like holes in the die if it's the TFFC.
I just looked at my XO3.... no waffle holes, just a smooth yellow square on a silver colored hexagon plate.

rockz4532

Enlightened
i remember looking at it, just a square yellow die on a hexagon. i dont think inova is gonna use tffc leds on bolts, maybe an x03?