Lumapower Encore is too delicate for normal use

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nearly a month ago, I bought a Lumapower Encore and it came dead right out of the package. I suspected contacts between the switch and the body tube as the reason it didn't work. These contacts are basically rebent staples that press against the battery tube for contact and are connected to the switch circuit board by putting the two ends of each of the two contacts in holes in the circuit board and soldering over them. These contacts are held in place by a fraction of an inch of space in the holes and soldered only on top, not underneath.
When I got the tested replacement, It worked great. High lasted over two hours. Medium seemed around 25 lumens, and low was half that of my P3D Q5. It was hard to believe I had something so small, light, bright, and rechargeable. I used it on two six mile hikes and it worked great. Then, when I got home, as I tried to get my house key out of my pocket, the light fell out of my pocket and landed on a stair. It only fell two feet. I picked it up to find no scratches or dents. Then I tried to turn it on and it was dead. I took the tailcap apart to find that the contacts on the switch had bent slightly and the contact with the solder had been broken. This light seems too delicate for use and I personally wouldn't trust it in the field. This problem probably caused my first light to be damaged during a normal shipping process and the second to fail after one small drop. If I spend nearly $60 on a light, it's not going to matter that the l.e.d. will last 50,000 hours if the light itself lasts only two days. You guys may want to avoid this light, at least until they fix their design problem.
Luckily, I ordered the light from Batteryjunction. They sent me an RMA number and let me return the light even after admitting I dropped it (though I think anyone would expect a good light to survive a two foot drop). I decided to get an Olight T20 Special Edition as a replacement. Did I make a decent choice for the replacement or do you think I'll be disappointed again? I know it won't take or do well with the bigger lithium ion cells and that's okay. I like the U.I. and it may outthrow my P3D Q5 while still having plenty of flood light.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had 2 Lumapower lights that failed after only a few months of pocket use (the Avenger 1xAAA). Very disappointing as they were not inexpensive lights. Luckily, like you, I had bought them from Battery Junction. Jeff was a super guy to deal with and got me replacements quickly and with no hassle.

I'll be interested to hear how you like your new Olight.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteryjunction is a great place to buy lights from. I have bought 8 LP lights: 3 M1's, 1 MRV, 3 D-mini-s and a F1. The M1's and MRV all had problems, but the D-mini's and F1 work great. The F1 is my edc light.

So my luck with LP has been a mixed bag....but it is nice knowing that Batteryjunction will take care of any problems that come up with them.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought several LumaPower lights from BatteryJunction, 2 LM31s, an LM33 and a D-Mini Q5. I've been very happy with all of them and have had no problems.

That said, I haven't used them hard and haven't dropped them on hard surfaces. I've read that the EDC series lights, the Incendio, Connexion and Encore, are not as sturdy as some other Luma's, like the D-MIni. But I think alot of lights, like many other electronic devices, won't fare too well if dropped on, say, concrete. IPODs, cellphones, etc, may also bite the dust if they land just right, or wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if my LM33 died if I dropped it from my waist onto a concrete sidewalk.

Now, a light built like a real tank, like a Surefire, would likely have had no ill effects from a small drop. But that's why the Surefire E1L costs $110 and the LM33 costs $33.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry to hear about the Encore. My first Lumapower was the D Mini CR123, WOW what a small pocket thrower!:thumbsup:
I then bought the AAA avenger. It did not work for me. I returned it to BattJunction for an upgrade to a Tiablo A9 plus a few$$$ :twothumbs.
My next LPower was the Incendio CR123 I like it alot! then I got my first 14500 the LPower Connexion. They hang from the front of my TV table nearby always there!:D I may needlessly buy that Stainless Steel limited edition! BatteryJunction is an excellent place to buy lights, parts and cells!

Last edited:

lumapower

Newly Enlightened
Hi Hooked on Fenix, and all value customer

We have notice that the issue on switching assembly cause you inconvenience.
With thanks to our dealers that they help to solve those problems.

After studied with the RMA parts with our engineering department.
We will review with all raw material suppliers to take action immediately.

More details on product improvement, production process control, material improvement and construction improvement will be announced in our sub-forum.

Please feel free to contact us or our dealer if you have any question on our products.

We will pay most attention to our quality control and customer service in order to ensure our value customer to get the best satisfaction on each purchase.

Thanks and best regards,

Ricky - Lumapower CS

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

More details on product improvement, production process control, material improvement and construction improvement will be announced in our sub-forum.

Please feel free to contact us or our dealer if you have any question on our products.

We will pay most attention to our quality control and customer service in order to ensure our value customer to get the best satisfaction on each purchase.

Thanks and best regards,

Ricky - Lumapower CS

:twothumbs

It's always nice to see a post like this, thanks Lumapower.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I posted about the problem with the Encore yesterday, and in one day, a representative from Lumapower posts to say they are planning to change the design to fix the problem. That's good customer service. I look forward to the improvements.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
another reason why CPF makes the world a better place!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a good outcome so far. :popcorn:

I'll add in that my one and only Lumapower Light, an M1 has been nothing but great. I especially love it with the SSC flood kit. Hopefully things will get straightened out because I'd like another Lumapower light as nice as my M1. Thanks for the heads up on the issue HoF.

carrot

Flashaholic

Thanks and best regards,

Ricky - Lumapower CS
This is what I like to hear from mfr's.

That big throwy Dereelight (DBS, was it) is looking more and more appealing now.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Little thread BUMPage.... Hooked, did you ever get your Lumapower to work?

I am kind of considering this light, but only if the manufacturer or retailer addressed the problems you found.

thanks in advance
:twothumbs

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I had a very similar experience to that described by Hooked On Fenix. I ordered the Encore from BatteryJunction on August 23, and it arrived only four days later, on August 27th. Unfortunately, like his first unit, it was completely DOA. It would not illuminate at all. I tried cleaning the contacts, and tried it with fresh CR123's, freshly charged RCR123's, and a freshly charged 18650. Nothing worked, so I sent it back to BJ. The purchase price was quickly refunded, but I'm still out $16 for shipping both ways. :mad:

Consequently, I've decided to stick with Fenix, and have ordered a PD30. In addition, I have been looking seriously at the Lumapower MVP, but this experience makes me hesitant. Comments from CPF'rs with more experience with both BJ and Lumapower would be appreciated.

bicoastal

Newly Enlightened
I had a very similar experience to that described by Hooked On Fenix. I ordered the Encore from BatteryJunction on August 23, and it arrived only four days later, on August 27th. Unfortunately, like his first unit, it was completely DOA. It would not illuminate at all. I tried cleaning the contacts, and tried it with fresh CR123's, freshly charged RCR123's, and a freshly charged 18650. Nothing worked, so I sent it back to BJ. The purchase price was quickly refunded, but I'm still out $16 for shipping both ways. :mad:
I had exactly the same experience with the Encore that I ordered last week from Battery Junction. Totally DOA, trying various battery combinations, and including jumping around the switch assembly. It's clearly a problem inside the head itself. I have not gotten the return instructions from Battery Junction; I hope I'm not required to pay shipping in both directions. Since there are many references to Encore problems, I'm surprised that he continues to offer them (except if his customers are eating the return shipping, in which case it really costs him nothing).

I was surprised at how few retailers handle the Encore, but I suppose it makes sense given experiences like this.

Xak

Enlightened
I had a Lumapower 1x123 model, a limited nickel plated one. I loved it. It was durable and had a great UI. Unfortunately the pocket clip didn't keep it in my pocket and I lost it.

Since then newer LED's came out and I got a couple Quarks. They have both been durable as hell. I fell in love with my neutral Q123-2 and EDC it everywhere. It is banged up, chipped, been dropped onto pavement several times but has never skipped a beat. The 17650 is plenty bright and offers such good runtime I haven't considered the 18500 tube. Of course it will run 2xRCR123 as well.

It's probably the same size as the Encore.

batmanacw

Enlightened
I am a major butter fingers. I have already dropped my Nitecore D10 so many times the switch end of the body is chipped and dented. Its hit a concrete floor from over 3 feet about a half dozen times in the last few months. It hasn't missed a beat. Fortunately my new clip covers up the ugliness.

Any light I buy has to be able to handle poor treatment. Period.

I like it when I manufacturer doesn't make excuses or get defensive, but when they just work to fix the problem. Its important and not lost on most of us.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my LumaPower Connexion and Incendio. Since one of my most used lights is a aaa "fenix/microstream" ,I thought the LP Avenger would be good. It wasn't at all. too fragile and not suitable for EDC IMHO. fortunately I was able to returm it.
I like my Connexion AA so much that I just ordered the newer version from Battery Junction.
The 18650 Encore is starting to seem like a must have.:crazy: I am suprised about the relaibility issues with the Encore. Given its size I'd expect it to be durable.
I'll wait for a posssible upgrade or newer version in the future ,

Last edited: