clickie switch of dereelight isn't working

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
my clickie switch of Dereelight is not working properly. It can only turns on intermittently.

does anyone have problem with clickie switch?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure the switch is properly installed into the tailcap. Make sure the contact points on the switch itself are making good contact with the inner parts of the tail cap and the retaining rings are all tight. I'd treat everything with deoxit if you have any.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the DBS V2 black HAIII. the switch was working normally for past months. it suddenly not working today. The battery is fully charged.

I test it again few hours later and it working again. what is happening?

the tail cap is screw in properly and the O-ring is secured. I did wash it with soap & water last week to get rid of dirt.

could water have penetrated into the rubber tail cap?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the DBS V2 black HAIII. the switch was working normally for past months. it suddenly not working today. The battery is fully charged.

I test it again few hours later and it working again. what is happening?

the tail cap is screw in properly and the O-ring is secured. I did wash it with soap & water last week to get rid of dirt.

could water have penetrated into the rubber tail cap?

Water could have penetrated the switch, but I don't think it should've just from washing the light.

An intermittent case is the most difficult to diagnose... one has to wait for it to act up before the troubleshooting process can be started. When it acts up again, remove the tailcap and bridge the end of the battery (with it installed) to the end edge of the flashlight's body with a small wire or paperclip. This will bypass the switch. If it works fine this way, either the switch is bad, or the tailcap-to-body connection isn't making good contact.
You purchased yours direct from Dereelight, correct? It should have came with a spare switch. If so, try the spare and see if it solves the problem.

Let me know your results.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you wash your DBS? I assume you washed it while it was assembled? Did you put the DBS under a pressurized stream of water? (Under your sink's faucet)? The pressure of the water coming out of your tap can exceed the water pressure resistence of the light.

If you think moisture got in the light just take it apart and let it air dry for a few days.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Water could have penetrated the switch, but I don't think it should've just from washing the light.

An intermittent case is the most difficult to diagnose... one has to wait for it to act up before the troubleshooting process can be started. When it acts up again, remove the tailcap and bridge the end of the battery (with it installed) to the end edge of the flashlight's body with a small wire or paperclip. This will bypass the switch. If it works fine this way, either the switch is bad, or the tailcap-to-body connection isn't making good contact.
You purchased yours direct from Dereelight, correct? It should have came with a spare switch. If so, try the spare and see if it solves the problem.

Let me know what your results.

how do I remove the tail cap from the body? I am refering to the green tail cap. :confused::confused:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
how do I remove the tail cap from the body? I am refering to the green tail cap. :confused::confused:

What I was wanting you to do before (bridge the negative end of the battery and the edge of the flashlight battery housing with a paperclip or similar) was to be done with the metal tailcap removed, like you would do to change the battery.
If you want to remove the rubber switch boot, you have to unscrew the switch retaining ring from the metal tailcap. You'll see two holes on the ring... use sharp tweezers or a pair of small-nosed needle nose pliers to unscrew it. Once the ring is removed, the switch and rubber boot can be taken out. Hope this helps!

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I was wanting you to do before (bridge the negative end of the battery and the edge of the flashlight battery housing with a paperclip or similar) was to be done with the metal tailcap removed, like you would do to change the battery.
If you want to remove the rubber switch boot, you have to unscrew the switch retaining ring from the metal tailcap. You'll see two holes on the ring... use sharp tweezers or a pair of small-nosed needle nose pliers to unscrew it. Once the ring is removed, the switch and rubber boot can be taken out. Hope this helps!

thanks for your help. I removed the old clickie swtich and replaced it with the spare on.

My light is working now. woohoooo !

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the clickie swtich of the dereelight a standardized switch.

I want to buy more switches just in case this one die.