Romisen RC-C3 - sleeper light

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the Romisen RC-C3 about a week back, it's now one of my EDC lights. This little baby is bright! No low mode but that isnt an issue with me.

Came in the standard DX bubble wrap and padded envelope, no damage to the finish and everything was in working order.

Finish: No way is it a HA-III but for its price what do you expect? Some checkering on the tail and 2 bands of checkering on the head, does not provide much grip but at the same time, it won't scratch anything else that you may have on your pocket. Turning the light on is not as easy as twisting the head of an E01 for example but after getting used to it, there's no issue with it.

Running it on a primary energizer Cr123 (which was partially discharged)and it is bright (did i say that already?) and on a 3.6v RCR123 it's even brighter.

The head is just the slightest teeniest bit wobbly and it's possible to have momentary on when the head is twisted less than a quarter turn from fully tightened.

The tail clip enables it to be carried bezel down and it can be detached by removing the tail cap but i leave mine on for anti rolling.

Could do with a few more o rings but is fine without though without extra o rings i wouldnt want to go out in the rain with it. Removal of the tail cap exposes the negative contact of the CR123 and removal of the tail clip leaves 2 tinyholes where water could seep in.

But for $13.50 shipped, this is a great light.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Hello hyperloop --

Not too darned bad at all -- especially given its very reasonable price ($13.50 shipped).

Is this an accurate image of your torch?

-Clive

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello hyperloop --

Not too darned bad at all -- especially given its very reasonable price ($13.50 shipped).

Is this an accurate image of your torch?

-Clive
yes that is indeed an accurate pic of the light, was at a club showing their bouncers how much more light a tiny one could give than their er... Mags

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Its a good, serviceable light. The fact that its only $13 is an added bonus. I kind of wish it had more body tube threads, but thats a minor nit-pick. Sometimes I clip it onto my watch strap for some hands free action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tortA0rocjE

Shingingbeam makes a Q5 version thats worth the extra $$$ if you need extra brightness.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these from DX back in September.
It came bubble wrapped in a small box. Box had stickers on it indicating colour and voltage range.

It's a great little light, especially for the price.

The only problem I've had with mine is that the clip scratched the finish. I touch that up with a sharpie every now and then.

I think the o-ring on the front is sufficient, not sure about the one in the tailcap.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
To satisfy my own curiosity regarding the o-ring in the tail end of the RC-C3, I decided to do a test.

I made sure the tailcap was tightened securely and placed the body, tailcap end down, in a dish with about half an inch of water in it.

:popcorn:

2 hours later, no water had entered the light.

I took the light out of the water and dried the outside of the body.

About 10 minutes later I unscrewed the tailcap and removed the clip.
I was expecting to see some moisture in the ridged area of the body where the tailcap screws into, on the clip loop, and the inside portion of the tailcap, but there was none :thinking:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
To satisfy my own curiosity regarding the o-ring in the tail end of the RC-C3, I decided to do a test.

I made sure the tailcap was tightened securely and placed the body, tailcap end down, in a dish with about half an inch of water in it.

:popcorn:

2 hours later, no water had entered the light.

I took the light out of the water and dried the outside of the body.

About 10 minutes later I unscrewed the tailcap and removed the clip.
I was expecting to see some moisture in the ridged area of the body where the tailcap screws into, on the clip loop, and the inside portion of the tailcap, but there was none :thinking:

FWIW... I did a similar test with mine and water did get through into the battery compartment. I blotted it dry and have successfully avoided getting it wet.:grin2:... too bad I destroyed mine in an attempt to mod the DC-DC driver.:mecry: Its a nice little light.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
great light too! someone didnt realise i was working late and turned all the lights off. When i came ouf of my office, it was pitch black, whipped out the RC-C3, gave it a twist and wham! nice, white, light! found my way through the cube farm to the elevator with no trouble whatsoever.

The RC-C3 has, IMHO a good balance between flood and throw.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
great light too! someone didnt realise i was working late and turned all the lights off. When i came ouf of my office, it was pitch black, whipped out the RC-C3, gave it a twist and wham! nice, white, light! found my way through the cube farm to the elevator with no trouble whatsoever.

The RC-C3 has, IMHO a good balance between flood and throw.

I used mine with scotch tape on the lens to flood it even more:twothumbs:twothumbs. ~70 Lumens of flood goodness.