Malkoff M60WLF (Warm Low Flood) first impressions.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it finally arrived - it's been a long week!:D

First impression: Not as bright as I thought it was going to be.
Maybe its the warm tint, maybe its the flood style beam or a combination of both.....

But that tint colour is gorgeous!! Hands down the best LED tint I have ever seen!!! Gene talks of it being slightly less yellow than an incandescent light but this is nothing like as yellow - just pure natural looking light (if that makes sense).

When using this drop in, I no longer feel like I've got tunnel vision which I seem to experience with a super bright hot spot combined with very little spill.

Popped the original P60 back in and then.... hang on, the P60 doesn't look as bright as I remembered - Bright in the centre but much less spill beam and those bezel crenelations are back, as well as that yellow beam.

In isolation, the P60 doesn't look that yellow but after sampling the new drop in, it now looks VERY YELLOW indeed! My D10 GD now looks almost pink/purple in comparison and my L2DQ5 now looks slightly blue!!

The advertised 4.5+ runtime on CR123's is essential to me as I almost exclusively use the ICR123's and require at least 3 hours of runtime per recharge so the regular M60 WF was out for me.

So overall, I'm very satisfied with the M60WLF drop in. Don't buy it if you expect a super blindingly bright light, but if tint & beam quality are important to you, then give it a try - it is certainly going to be a unique addition to your collection.

James...

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: When using the light in the horizontal position looking forwards, the spill light extends right up to your feet so you can see where your going as well as where your stepping!:D

james...

allthumbs

Newly Enlightened
Jimmy my first impression was the same as yours. Go play with your light :grin2:
It is brighter than you think. Compare it by what you can see, I took a couple of different lights into the basement, all brighter but I could see more detail with M60 WLF. It is not a thrower. I didn`t want another thrower (m@g 85 & E2DL) I wanted a bright warm flood and Gene nailed it with this. Use it. It will grow on you its quality is more subtle than the super bright we (CPF ) have gotten used to. Try it in a basement or a shed filled with junk, you can see more with it. In use it will quickly grow on you. Enjoy :thumbsup:
allthumbs

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jimmy my first impression was the same as yours. Go play with your light :grin2:
It is brighter than you think. Compare it by what you can see, I took a couple of different lights into the basement, all brighter but I could see more detail with M60 WLF. It is not a thrower. I didn`t want another thrower (m@g 85 & E2DL) I wanted a bright warm flood and Gene nailed it with this. Use it. It will grow on you its quality is more subtle than the super bright we (CPF ) have gotten used to. Try it in a basement or a shed filled with junk, you can see more with it. In use it will quickly grow on you. Enjoy :thumbsup:
allthumbs

I agree entirely. When I normally unwrap a new light and turn it on, I go - wow and then my interest fades...

With the M60WLF, its the opposite - initial disappointment with a perceived low light level directly followed by sheer delight:D - I know that sounds strange but it's true. You don't have to wave the light around a room to see its' contents, just switch it on, hold it steady and look around the room with your eyes, without having to wave the hot spot around to see detail.

A real sleeper light - I don't see it being a top seller with a lot of people chasing lumins and hot spots, but to me, it has made my 6P pretty close to being my perfect general purpose light.

James...

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the report. :thumbsup:

My M60WLF is scheduled to arrive the middle of next week.

What you describe is 100% EXACTLY what I'm after! :party:

d_rasp

Newly Enlightened
I'm running the M60F, so I can't give feedback on anything W or L, but I have to back up the feedback on initial impressions of the F part being deceiving. I put it in my 6P at work and got a little ribbing from co-workers who weren't impressed. Then, that night, I opened it up in my dark back yard and, "WHOA!" it covers the whole thing AND throws further than you'd expect. . .

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I want a M60L with warm tint for the trail to see the markers as tree moss etc looks about the same with most LED tints. Going to Email them next week and see if a M60WL (not flood as throw is needed too).

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
... So overall, I'm very satisfied with the M60WLF drop in. Don't buy it if you expect a super blindingly bright light, ...

James...
Ya because it's an 'L' version, they're not suppose to be 'super blindingly bright', they suppose to allow your batteries to enjoy a less strenuous life. The F also midigates the 'Blinding part'. These two factors have a bigger influence than the W part. Good thing Gene also makes blindingly bright for when the batteries really want to party

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya because it's an 'L' version, they're not suppose to be 'super blindingly bright', they suppose to allow your batteries to enjoy a less strenuous life. The F also midigates the 'Blinding part'. These two factors have a bigger influence than the W part. Good thing Gene also makes blindingly bright for when the batteries really want to party

I think you missed the point. It is pretty obvious that I have a basic understanding of the Low Flood concept - that's why I bought and use this drop in - I just did't want someone to be disappointed with the modest light output.

James...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene is currently making me a M30WF and an M60LLF.

I was thinking of using the M60LLF for camping so it will last all night (almost), still wondering if its going to be used for outdoor use and close range work around the house if I should have asked him to make it "W".

What do you folks think? M60LLF vs M60LLFW

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene is currently making me a M30WF and an M60LLF.

I was thinking of using the M60LLF for camping so it will last all night (almost), still wondering if its going to be used for outdoor use and close range work around the house if I should have asked him to make it "W".

What do you folks think? M60LLF vs M60LLFW

The warm versions do sacrifice a certain number of lumens to achieve the warm tones - considering the standard M60LLF outputs around 80 lumens, I would estimate a M60WLLF would only be around 50-60 lumens. My M60WLF runs around 100 lumens. Even for close up work, I wouldn't want any less. I think most people want more than 100 lumens as I haven't seen any mention on the Malkoff website of a M60WLF or M60WLLF being offered as a standard module.

James...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The warm versions do sacrifice a certain number of lumens to achieve the warm tones - considering the standard M60LLF outputs around 80 lumens, I would estimate a M60WLLF would only be around 50-60 lumens. My M60WLF runs around 100 lumens. Even for close up work, I wouldn't want any less. I think most people want more than 100 lumens as I haven't seen any mention on the Malkoff website of a M60WLF or M60WLLF being offered as a standard module.

James...

Thanks,

That is exactly what was holding me back. I was concerned with having anything considerably less then 80 lumens. I sure am glad you confirmed my fear. :D

M60LLF it is.:twothumbs 8 hours of Flood on Surefire 6P!!!!!!!!!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
And me, I'd GLADLY give up those few lumens for the nicer tint!

To each their own but I reccomend buying both and selling one of them on the marketplace.
Nothing like the peace of mind of knowing for sure which is better for you!

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
And me, I'd GLADLY give up those few lumens for the nicer tint!

To each their own but I reccomend buying both and selling one of them on the marketplace.
Nothing like the peace of mind of knowing for sure which is better for you!
That's a good point - Cause you never know if another pill might have worked better for you until you try it out. This flashlight/torch hobby is great but not being able to 'test drive' products before you buy them is a pain!

Hey Sgt. LED, have you got your M60WLF yet??

James....

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my M60WLF today.

Wife and I just returned from a walk in the woods with the dogs and Amazing is all I can say.

This M60WLF has slightly less output than the dozen or so L4's I've owned but with a tint 10X
better than even the best of the L4's. This M60WLF also has a nicer transition than the L4.

Output, flood, transition, and tint . . . IMO it's clearly a home run.

I'll be ordering 2 more M60WLF's from Gene this week.

A BIG THANKS to Gene for allowing us the opportunity to own these amazing creations! :twothumbs

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I have my M30WF but not the $$ for the M60WLF ........................ yet!

Rest assured I will get one when I can. :thumbsup: Gene is the best isn't he!

When the money is behind my asking I want to request a MC-E 5A from him too.................... See how long it will run on 2 18650's!

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my M60WLF today.

Wife and I just returned from a walk in the woods with the dogs and Amazing is all I can say.

This M60WLF has slightly less output than the dozen or so L4's I've owned but with a tint 10X
better than even the best of the L4's. This M60WLF also has a nicer transition than the L4.

Output, flood, transition, and tint . . . IMO it's clearly a home run.

I'll be ordering 2 more M60WLF's from Gene this week.

A BIG THANKS to Gene for allowing us the opportunity to own these amazing creations! :twothumbs
Fantastic!

James...