which do you find more blinding?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a number of LED lights, max i have is the 225 lumen Jetbeam Jet III Pro St (manufacturer's rating) run on 18650s and also a Aurora WF600 with SMO reflector.

In a really bored moment, i was wondering which would have the best blinding/disorientating effect and decided to flash myself. The Jetbeam was more blinding than the Aurora possibly cos of the OP reflector (please correct me if i am wrong here)

I also have a budget Husky B2 (feels like a tank) which i ripped the stock bulb, bulb holder etc out and replaced it with a DX 7.4v 10W bulb after removing the reflector it came in. It fits ok but not perfect. What can i expect for $10 (no quoting 2 Live Crew please).

Point is, i found the incan more blinding to look into and the beam was actually warm on the eyeballs if you get my drift.

Have little to nil experience with incans, but am drifting towards it and also wondering if P7s would be as blinding vs Q5s
So which is more blinding? LEDs or incans? I'm going with the incan

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a budget Husky B2 (feels like a tank) which i ripped the stock bulb, bulb holder etc out and replaced it with a DX 7.4v 10W bulb after removing the reflector it came in. It fits ok but not perfect.

That's disappointing. I really thought the Hugsby B2 was a D26 host. You're saying it has a separate bulb-and-reflector instead?

kimjune01

Newly Enlightened
Are there any safety issues with flashing yourself with really bright lights?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, the Hugsby B2 is not a D26 host, much to my dissapointment too, but the bulb fits well in the reflector and it's good flooder. You can see my amateurish beam shots here but i must say, the Hugsby feels real mean in your hand.

well, i didnt flash myself for long, less than a second and apart from seeing spots and walking into walls, no lasting damage :p

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'd think the thin beam of the Aurora would be more blinding, but maybe the Jet seems more so because of the reduced reflector space..

But the Jet does have the "WTF-was-that" 15hz strobe :eek:oo:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Depends on range and various other factors. The higher color temperature of most LED lights can have a greater "dazzling" effect. While at close range, the incan can cause that noticeable increase in heat on the face, which can cause various reactions.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Bummers that STOUT hugsby B2 is not a D26 (P60) host.:sigh:

IMHO there needs to be more budget lights with twist cap switches.

As far as vision impairment qualities, (yes I have tested this on myself before too:thumbsup:), an LED is just as blinding as an incan so long as the lux/lumen outputs are similar. Now if one of those lights is severely red in color, then that can change things a little.

One would think that a high-lux value light aimed right between the eyes would have superior blinding ability to a low lux flooder... irregardless of whether its an LED or an incan.

Last edited: