Energizer 3W tactical -- alternative to Coleman MAX 2AA?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a sample of the Energizer 3W 2AA tactical (MLT3W2AAL) to try out. Since I can't find much discussion of this light I thought I'd mention it here.

Some background to this is that I previously compared the Coleman MAX Cree XR-E lights from Wal-Mart and picked the 3AAA version over the 2AA, since the 3AAA had a bigger reflector and could tail stand. Ever since I'd been wondering if I should have got the 2AA one instead.

Well the Coleman light has its faults -- the tint is a little green, the beam has Cree rings and the tail switch is a little hard to operate. So I thought rather than getting another similar light I would try a different one. Hence the Energizer 3W.

Here's a brief impression. The Energizer light appears to have a Luxeon III emitter, and has very nice build quality. The overall brightness of the Energizer is very slightly less than the Coleman MAX, but barely noticeable and the tint is warmer and gives better colour rendition. The hotspot is equally bright and the throw is equal or better than the Coleman. Furthermore the beam pattern is smooth without those rings.

The tailcap screws and unscrews with a very pleasing silky feel, and the batteries drop inside with a soft "plop". There is a spring at both ends of the battery tube to prevent rattle or excessive shock. The outside of the Energizer light has a much better grip than the smooth and slippery Coleman.

The Energizer tail switch is a reverse clicky which is comfortable and easy to operate. It protrudes so it won't tail stand, but the reverse action means it won't come on accidentally.

Overall, the Energizer is a nice light and I prefer it I think to the Coleman MAX. Perhaps it has an "old" Luxeon rather than a cutting edge Cree, but in practical terms I don't think it makes much difference. The price of about $25 is the same for either.

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened
I've seen this light on sale at Target, and I think it's a Luxeon Rebel. For the price it sounds pretty good. I recently bought the Q5 variant of the Ultrafire 606A from DX, but this Energizer seems very comparable because it already includes lithium cells. It probably makes a great all-season glovebox light. Thanks for the review.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Not to mention the switch on the Energizer is a lot nicer than the flicker-prone one on the Coleman.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say I was hoping it would be a Luxeon Rebel, but on close inspection I do think it is a Lux III. Good point on the inclusion of Energizer L91's in the package. That adds extra value.

I measured the current draw with the L91's compared to Eneloops and with Eneloops it is slightly less (0.94 A vs 0.88 A), but it makes little difference to the visible brightness.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
That light is sold with a 3 watt l.e.d., a Luxeon Rebel, and a Cree XR-E. Different Targets seem to sell different versions of this same light.