Muyshondt Mako Prototype Evaluation

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been fortunate to spend some quality time with the new Mako by Endeavor and I wanted to share some of my thoughts on his new offering; but before I get started, I would like to share some of my thoughts on the Mako's maker.

I have had the good fortune of corresponding with Enrique on a regular basis as he developed the Mako, and I have come to find him as a stand up fellow; he is a high-character individual that is committed to producing high-quality products that are meant to stand the test of time. These qualities are apparent in the lights that he has produced in the past and is currently producing. He is not given to compromise when it comes to reliability today and in the future and this has given me a great deal of confidence in his products as well as a profound sense of joy as I have understood more and more of the details that were obsessed over during the products design.

What is the Mako?

The Mako is a 2-level AAA light, constructed from titanium that uses a 5mm Cree LED. It is, to my knowledge, the only 5 mm, AAA-powered, 2-level light available.

It is operated by twisting the head of the light. Twist clockwise for low and twist counter-clockwise for high.

It has a groove for attachment of a lanyard and also a hole for attachment of a split ring or other attachment.

The tail-end of the light is flat and as a result, the light tail-stands w/out any issues whatsoever. At the tail-end of the light is a groove that is milled into the aluminum (the production model will be titanium) that will allow for the installation of a tritium vial if you so desire.

A better description of the light and its features is available at:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204949

My Impressions on the Mako:

The size of this light is perfect for keychain carry both in diameter and in length; I find that AAA lights in general are excellent for keychain carry. The Mako is shorter than my MJP Extreme III, Fenix LD01, Arc AAA, and Fenix E01 (shorter by a small amount than the Arc and E01). The prototype Mako that I evaluated is a bit larger in diameter than the production version will be.

The light has grooves in the head to assist with providing grip when using the light in wet environments and they work very well for this purpose. I have owned AAA lights from other manufacturers who did not use either knurling or grooves and I found that turning them on while they were wet was a challenge… add cold to the equation and it can be a pretty frustrating experience. I have had no trouble whatsoever operating the Mako when it is wet; I don't know it would work in the cold because I live in Florida :nana:.

While the prototype Mako that I evaluated was made out of aluminum, the fit and finish of the were outstanding and I have no doubts that the production models will meet my high expectations in this area; all of the Muyshondt lights that I have owned and do own all twist on and off w/buttery smoothness and all are a joy to behold. One quick question; am I the only one that takes time just to look at and admire the craftsmanship of a well made light? :D

The LED is recessed into the head of the light and as a result more protected from contact with the stuff found in pockets, purses or backpacks than if it were not recessed.

The prototype came with a tritium vial installed in the slot at the end of the light and it is effective at helping to locate the light or the keychain attached to the light when it is dark. I find that these locators are excellent additions to flashlights in general. It is my understanding that the Mako will not ship with tritium pre-installed but that it will ship with the groove to accept tritium.

The 2 levels of the Mako are set at 6 ma for low and 20 ma for high. Turning it on and evaluating the spread between the levels in a brightly lit room will not give a good indication of the differences between them as they are pretty close to one another. Using the Mako when it is dark and my eyes had a chance to adjust allowed me to better appreciate the difference between the levels. On high, the Mako compares favorably to the CS version of the Arc AAA; it has a little less spill, but a little larger hot-spot. On low, the Mako's output reminded me of the 12 ma version of the Ti AAA Killer.

Both the low and high version offer more than enough light to navigate indoors or outdoors in the dark; I have used the Mako inside of dark stairwells and had no trouble safely getting up and down w/out being extra careful. The beam on high reaches out enough for me to use it up to 25' away; again more than enough reach for task lighting or navigation.

I have not performed any runtime tests but the information that I have seen posted by Endeavor is very encouraging! No doubt, that these lights, using ultra-common AAA batteries will work exceptionally well in emergencies where lower levels of light are all that are necessary and where long runtimes trump high output. For me, the estimated 60-hour runtime on low makes this light a no-brainer for inclusion in my backpack when I go hiking; in a tent or a shelter, it offers more than enough light to do almost everything that I need to do from navigating around camp, to checking through my pack at night, to reading a map or whatever. In fact, pairing the Mako up w/a higher output, longer-throwing AAA light is a great combination when hiking, especially if you are weight conscious.

The tint is far better than the tint on every other 5 mm LED that I have owned and it is well described as a neutral, even white tint that is very pleasing on a white wall and in actual use. I remember commenting that the light from my Arc was blue and I had to continually correct them that it was really white:eek: I have no doubt that the most discriminating white-wall hunters and tint connoisseurs will appreciate the light from the Mako.

The Mako would not be my choice if I was to only carry one light with me throughout the day because of its limited output (for that matter, no 5 mm light would work for me in this capacity) but it is an excellent choice as a back-up light or a complimentary light and, once available, it will be in my backpack for my future hiking trips. It is also not likely to impress your friends when you turn it on if you are looking for comments about how bright is for such a small light (buy and Aeon for that) but it will impress them if they share an appreciation for well conceived and well executed tools. Having it on my keychain will provide loads of confidence that I will have light when I need it and for a long time; add to that the quality of construction and choice of titanium as the building material and it is a real winner in my book.

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mushondyt Mako Prototype Evaluation

The Mako looks to have come together nicely.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. :thumbsup:

Do the 4-grooves on the body serve a function or are they simply cosmetic?

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Good post ! Thanx. :bow:

Can we get a pic of the LED itself?

I suppose it can use lithium AAAs?

bernie

fleegs

Enlightened

Hello. How does the low level compare to any of the following: Surefire Titan, Nitecore D10, Gatlight V3 Ti, Ra Twisty 100?

Also what is the runtime on high? Sorry if I missed it. I only found the low is 60 hours.

Thanks,
Rob

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also what is the runtime on high? Sorry if I missed it. I only found the low is 60 hours.

from recent posts in the other thread -

21 hours on High
60 hours on Low
regulated

have been eagerly watching this one from the beginning, and have no doubts that itll be a winner. my daytime EDC has been a small AAA light for some time now, going from an Arc-AAA P in various versions to now an E01 (due to longer runtimes). cant wait to upgrade to a Mako!!

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the the review.....since we don't know how it works in the cold, Northern Indiana would be a great testing ground :poke:

I have had the good fortune, also to communicate with Enrique over the past years and also test and own most (if not all :D) of his creations.

His lights are IMO great examples of useful, regulated, rugged lights; presently have Aeon and Nautilus in my carry rotation. I still marvel at the original flood Ion and keep one on my nightstand and often use ( I like to just look at and appreciate the workmanship, as well :thumbsup:)

AM really looking forward to the Mako, as regulation, long run times, AAA battery, size and Endeavour's usual workmanship all indicate a very desirable, useful light that should be rugged enough (Ti) for many years use.

Happy Thanksgiving to Enrique, :)> and ALL :wave: :nana::devil:.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mako looks to have come together nicely.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. :thumbsup:

Do the 4-grooves on the body serve a function or are they simply cosmetic?

I imagine that if you ever had to use it as a tactical impact device, they would provide some additional grip... I will test it on my cat and let you know:devil:

They are a nice cosmetic touch too.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good post ! Thanx. :bow:

Can we get a pic of the LED itself?

I suppose it can use lithium AAAs?

bernie

I will post a pic of the LED shortly and it functions just fine on Lithium AAA's. I imagine that the runtimes would be longer as well if you can imagine that:faint:

I have a new one laying around and I am inclined to test it out in the Mako on high but I cannot do it until Saturday night as I need to be sure to be around to watch it for the entire time:D

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello. How does the low level compare to any of the following: Surefire Titan, Nitecore D10, Gatlight V3 Ti, Ra Twisty 100?

Thanks,
Rob

The low on the Titan is so low that the only other light on the planet that I know of that can get down there is the Spy 007. I don't own a Nitecore or a Gatlight, but the light is significantly brighter on low than the Ra Twisty 100. My estimates for the low are around 1 to 3 lumens.

Not having any means except for my eyes to measure output puts me at a disadvantage. I will compare it to a level on my Novatac to give an idea.

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

question:
is the proto aluminum?
(because endeavour refers to the Mako as "A Titanium AAA Light")

Flashlight Enthusiast
question:
is the proto aluminum?
(because endeavour refers to the Mako as "A Titanium AAA Light")

Yes, the prototype is aluminum, but the production model will be titanium and promises to be very, very sexy:naughty:

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast

how much $$? is it.

approx lumens rating on high and low?

(a guess will be close enough for me)

im guessing 3 lumens low 25 high?

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

what i figured. just double checking. thnx!

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
how much $$? is it.

approx lumens rating on high and low?

(a guess will be close enough for me)

im guessing 3 lumens low 25 high?

The high will not be anywhere near 25 lumens; I am speculating that it is approximately 5 to 6 lumens as it is similar in output to my Arc AAA w/CS LED. The Arc was advertised at 5.5 lumens.

I stated a bit earlier that the low was between 1 and 3 lumens, but I want to narrow that down a bit; I am guessing that 1 to 2 lumens is more like it. I will guage it against my Novatac and post again.

I don't know what the cost of the light is going to be, but I believe that it will be right around $100.00.

Bear in mind, that the Mako is not meant to be the brightest light available or to take the place of lights in Muyshondt's line up like the Nautilus or the Aeon but rather to complement them. Runtime, reliability, quality workmanship, tint and longevity are its strong suits and are what Endeavor set out to produce; I believe that he has succeeded in his quest as there are no other lights like it from the 2-level current regulation to the ultra long runtimes on standard AAA batteries.

There are many on CPF that have been pining for a 5 mm LED that would provide these kind of runtimes and the time appears to be close at hand.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
O.K.

Enrique officially has one of the toughest names on CPF to spell correctly:sick2::crazy::eek:

I have tried to find all of the spots where I screwed up the spelling on his name... I even looked at his website to make sure that I had it right and then proceeded to spell it wrong throughout my posts:ohgeez:

I'm just a simple fellow anyway and only marginally better as spelling than McGizmo:thumbsup:

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, i sure like it but how do you pronounce it? "Happygoatee"? :duh2:

Last edited: