Best LED under $30

caramelcarebr

Newly Enlightened
New to the forum, I've been looking into getting a new small light to keep in my car. I currently own an INOVA but it is a twist-on light and it got left on inside of my console and died :( So I have been browsing DX but I am not the most informed when it comes to this so I came here for advice? I'd prefer something with a click button this time and also small enough to fit in my center console. (max of 8in) I am reading all kinds of reviews and think I might have it narrowed down to a few of the Ultrafire/cree lights. UltraFire A1 Cree Q5-WC, RC-C3, and UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC. It's probably an easy decision but I don't know all the lingo! I'm looking for your opinions on these or any better suggestions you may have. A few pointers (especially with the terminology!) would also be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thus far your criteria are:
8 inches max length
$30
Click button

How long would you like it to run?
Does it need water submersibility or a high level of waterproofing?
About how bright do you need it to be? Do you need multi-modes?
Any preference in cell types? My suggestion would be Lithium or NiMH AA/AAA, Primary CR123, or rechargable RCR123... AVOID alkalines at any cost.

roymail

Enlightened
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum! Kramer is right... we just need a little more info so we can help you better.

1. what type of batteries do you want to use? AA's, CR123's, etc.
2. how bright does it need to be?
3. what will you be using it for?
4. how long to you want it to run?

A Streamlight Propoly Lux 1 runs on 4 AA's and is a reliable task light for the car or whatever. But there are many others, too. Just let us know what you need.

caramelcarebr

Newly Enlightened
As far as run time goes, I'm assuming that the different types of batteries come into play. What can I expect on average from a good AA flashlight as a opposed to a good CR123 flashlight? Which is generally better with longer running time? It doesn't need to be waterproof as it'll mostly be used for emergencies in my car (aka I lost something under my seat & where's that annoying rock in my tire) water resistant couldn't hurt though. I'd obviously prefer to get the brightest, longest running flashlight I can in a convenient size. Multi-modes aren't a must, I'm not really even sure what different modes on a flashlight would consist of. And sorry, but I have no idea what 'cell types' are in this context! :(

Sorry if I sound really ignorant about this!

mdocod

Flashaholic
It doesn't matter too much if you decide to go the CR123 or AA route, but what's important is that if you do go the AA route, and this flashlight is intended to be stored in a car, that you keep good quality lithium primary cells in it (energizer L92). Lithium primaries in both options are great for the wide temperature range you might encounter in a car, and they are much less likely to leak than alkaline cells.

A 2xCR123 or 2xAA light will be fine. Here's more ideas:

WF606A
RC-P3/N3

If you are willing to spend a few more dollars, get a Fenix E2O from 4sevens or fenixstore or batteryjunction or the like, this way if you ever have any problems you are pretty much taken care of.

Eric

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It might have more to do with the battery chemistry then the type.

Rechargeable AA batteries can give you more runtime and output then alkalines because they hold up a lot better under discharge.

If the light will be left for a good amount of time with no use, then make sure to use lithium batteries(CR123, Lithium AAs etc.)

Multimode is either the light having different levels of output, strobe, user programmable functions and or others.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire C3 with 2xAA extender tube ($18.98) the 5 mode one is slightly above $20.00. I have owned the single mode UF C3 for more than 2 years and it has served me very well.

lightinsky

Enlightened
At Lowes the Taskforce 60X brighter Cree is on sale for $24.97. This forum gave it lots of great reviews and it uses cheap c cells too. I don't have one but at this price may get one.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That particular one is probably not the one he mentioned. That one you linked to needs a AA size Li-Ion 3.6 volt battery (14500). Not the most common battery and if I'm getting a light that uses them I prefer a light that can also use standard AA alkalines or NiMH batteries as a backup choice. The Ultrafire A1 is a very nice light if you use rechargeable RCR123 batteries. On regular CR123's it won't be as bright and of course if you use it much you'll be paying for batteries a lot.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest an AA battery LED light, powered off a single AA battery.

Something Like the Fenix series.

They have very good output and have a clickie switch.

These will take ALL of the following battery chemistries.
1) easily available alkaline batteries, cheap available EVERYwhere.
2) economical rechargeable NiMH (eneloops brand hold charge for a VERY long time, compared to other rechargebles which are dead after 60 days) and charge over and over again.
3) Energizer AA Lithiums...which have super capacity, store for ten years and still have 90% of power capacity AND work in cold weather extremes, but are Expensive.

Personally I believe that in the future, 90% of average person flashlights owned will be LED lights powered by a single AA battery (more accurately called "cell")

roymail

Enlightened
I'd suggest an AA battery LED light, powered off a single AA battery.
Something Like the Fenix series.
They have very good output and have a clickie switch.
These will take ALL of the following battery chemistries.
1) easily available alkaline batteries, cheap available EVERYwhere.
2) economical rechargeable NiMH (eneloops brand hold charge for a VERY long time, compared to other rechargebles which are dead after 60 days) and charge over and over again.
3) Energizer AA Lithiums...which have super capacity, store for ten years and still have 90% of power capacity AND work in cold weather extremes, but are Expensive.
Personally I believe that in the future, 90% of average person flashlights owned will be LED lights powered by a single AA battery (more accurately called "cell")

I agree with all the above! :thumbsup:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two lights come immediately to mind. The Romisen RC-N3 which will run on 2 x AA or 1 x CR123a (has two body tubes.) You can get it with a Q5 led from shiningbeam's site, which is brighter than the stock P4 led. I have the stock P4 and really like the light. Good quality for the money.

Another good but inexpensive light is the LumaPower LM33 which is now on sale for about 25 dollars from battery junction. The LM33 takes 1 x CR123a battery Has a high and low setting, and a floodier beam than the RC-n3. I also have one of these lgihts, and like it alot.

JBorneu

Enlightened
Romisen lights generally get good reviews. Dealextreme is cheap, but shipping takes 3 weeks at least and there sometimes are issues which arn't resolved. Shiningbeam is generally considered more trustworthy. I personally wouldn't hesitate to order from dealextreme, but no major purchases.

I would advise you to stay away from CR123 cell only lights for now. They are very expensive if you don't order them online and they can explode if treated wrong. Also stay away from li-ion rechargeable cells. Same issues. Start off easy with AA, C or D cells. They can be found anywhere for little money and the worst that can happen is they leak and corrode your flashlight. With CR123 cells or Li-ion cells you need to know what you're doing to use them in a safe manner.