Just how tough is the finish on the ARC AAA??

Status
Not open for further replies.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
I think I will be picking a couple of these up when countycomm gets their shipment in. How many of you keep these on your keyring?? For those who do, how well do these lights hold up?? Any real signs of wear? One for me and the misses would be nice.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Just how tought is the finish on the ARC AAA??

I throw my keys around every time I get home, so I know the ArcAAA is taking a beating from it. I also have a tendency to twirl my keys around by the lanyard I have on it, so you can imagine the dings on the light. I have an LE version on the ring, and other than a few very minor scratches that you wouldn't notice unless your eyes are right at the light, the grey Arc LE is humming along quite nicely...

It's very tough. I believe somebody has thrown their Arc AAA down the trash compactor and turned it on before. I'm not that brave, but my black Arc AAA has gone through laundry washes and been submerged in dirt and mud, and other than the anodizing fading a bit, it's holding its shape perfectly...

stangster

Newly Enlightened

I've had mine for about a month now on my keys. It's holding up soo much better than I expected. No real wear..just "character". I used to have a Mag Solitaire on my keys. And that showed wear after just a couple of days of use.

The only scratches on it have been caused by the factory installed split ring. Them things got some sharp points. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I think I'm going to replace my next ARC AAA I get with a different one or at least buff it down to a round point.

artar

Enlightened

i have the black ones and they wear off rapidly.
maybe the natural HA finish is better against wear.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an LE. The HA3 is pretty amazing. I was bored in class and used the barrel of my AAA as a file to grind a nice notch out of the desk. I've also ground filings off of a metal kitchen cupboard handle. In fact, I had to stop wearing it attached to my Leatherman because it started to fray the ballistic nylon holster. Maybe there's such a thing as being too tough.

It came new...with a scratch caused by the split ring.

Wilkey

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

My LE has taken the finish off my keys!

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

My black arc is probably 2 years old, and it shows lots of wear from my keys. a Photon would probably look new after this amount of time, but ARC does really good for a metal bodied light.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

ha3 is some hard shift /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

as for overall durability...these things can take anything!! and i do mean that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

2 years ago, our black was only type II. Type II is quite a bit softer than the the type III black we start using about a year ago.

Peter

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

The HA is actually making aluminum oxide or Al2O3 which is sapphire. Obviously the HA is not crystalline, but the hardness should be quite good considering it's the same stuff as gemstone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The color is a dye added later and depending on the temperature of the anodize process, the cleanliness of the piece to be anodized and a million other factors will control how well it's taken up and held onto by the metal.

After you anodize and dye you have to heat the piece to close the pores of the metal to hold onto the dye. But the underlying Aluminum oxide is very tuff stuff indeed! I believe that the different levels of anodizing are just measurements of the thickness of the oxide layer as created with different currents, but I'm by no means an expert. This is just how I currently understand the process.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought I'd be the first post on this new found use for an ARC AAA, but it looks like I've been beat. It does make a great fine file. My girlfriend had a "rough" nail last night while we were watching TV and asked if I had an emory board. I picked up one of my ARC AAA's from the coffee table and did a great job of removing the rough spot. Leatherman-like qualities that we didn't even know about.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

My ARC AAA lives on my keyring along with a leatherman squirt, which it has happily chewed thru. That HA3 is some tough stuff.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened

I am happy to report that my LE and standard "AAA" lights are showing no real wear. It is the items that they come in contact with that get hurt. My Alox SAK Soldier model suffered causalties the day it met the LE, not cool at all. These little lghts are like porcupines, cute but not cuddly. I wouldn't have it any other way.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I've always kept one of ARC-AAA in my pocket with my Windmill butane lighter. The lighter's finish is just about gone from the rubbing around that takes place in pocket while walking or sitting.

The ARC doesn't have a mark or scratch on it at all.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have had a le on the keyring of death for 1.5 yrs.
the once aggressive knurling is now smooth but the finish color doesnt look too much different.has some nicks in the bezel edge from repeated drops to the pavement and once to a glass tabletop at a customers home.the table died.
several motorcycle keys with big plastic heads took a good grinding till the knurling wore down.
filed lots of brass from some of the keys too.
the ha is gone from the rear edges from the ring rubbing.
it still works fine and the led is recessed far enough to remain unscathed.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I've carried my Le on my keyring for more than a year. It does not have the slightest mark, scratch or ding. The only change is that the once matte exterior has become shiny, like the seat of well worn artificial fiber pants.

I much prefer the look of the original matte. Anyone know if there is a (simple) way to restore it?

Brightnorm

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I carry both me Arc AAA and Infinity Ultra in my pocket. The Arc is as good as new, but the Ultra is losing anodizing fast. The arc is much tougher! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

OK, I just rubbed Arc AAA against my red anodized Mag Solitaire and it took a nice little spot off the Solitaire. No visible mark on the Arc. I don't think I'll try sawing through the Solitaire though. Maybe through plastic light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

d'mo

Enlightened

I routinely use the Arc AAA knurling as an improvised finger nail file. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i've used it to bur alumium pieces on my lathe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.