SARS could live for weeks outside human body!!!

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
SARS INFO

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

just ordered 100 UV LED from HK.
take the order,spray it with a lot of disinfectan or burn it when its arrived?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
heh, I got my 100 white LED's from HK a couple of days ago. I thought about it while opening it...

The article says it can survive for "hours" outside the body, which is actually pretty good, most bugs die as soon as the moisture as evaporated which only takes a few seconds in most cases. The "weeks" figure is for when refridgerated. So if someone with SARS sneezes in your fridge you better defrost it...

Otherwise your LED's are safe.

Blikbok

Enlightened
We were told in school that typical cold virii could survive a day on a room-temperature surface.

Plus, if stuff came from HK, wouldn't the trip in the airplane cargo compartment be cold?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, if stuff came from HK, wouldn't the trip in the airplane cargo compartment be cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's cold while in flight. But it may actually be too cold and kill them, or at least hurt them that way. Then when they warm back up during all the rest of the distribution they will die.

The actual flight is only a small portion of the whole time that the envelope is floating around out there. Just spending a day in the back of a mail truck would be enough.

If you want to be afraid of it, pick up your mail with gloves on and set it on a shelf somewhere in your house for 24 hours.

Whats the incubation period for SARS now? I got mine almost 4 days ago, so far no symptoms, but I'll be sure to let you all konw if I come down with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SARS could live for weeks outside human body!!

James, can you hear me now?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I got a couple of ghetto blasters from Toronto Canada, and I admit I was a bit leary to open up the boxes. But I've had them for longer than 10 days and I'm still asymptomatic, so if SARS was on them, it was deader than a doorknob when I got the packages open. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I heard on the 10:00 news last night that SARS can live in poop (diahrrea) for at least several days, but I don't remember what the lifespan on dry surfaces (like faucet handles and toliet seats) was. Presumably a few hours, nothing more.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtPrint/WSIHW000/333/35203/362354.html?d=dmtICNNews

What are the symptoms?

Severe acute respiratory syndrome describes an illness that fits the following current World Health Organization criteria:

* Fever over 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius), AND
* Respiratory symptoms such as a cough and shortness of breath, AND
* Either close contact with someone who's already been diagnosed with SARS or recent travel to places with known cases of the disease

People become ill from the virus two to 11 days after they are exposed to another infected person.

Some patients seem able to transmit the infection only by close face-to-face contact with others (family, health workers, etc.). However, other patients appear to be "super-transmitters", able to spread the virus by casual contact, such as by coughing near another person. Almost all patients develop fevers, most feel very weak and ill, all have a dry cough (nothing is coughed up), and most become short of breath. Other common symptoms are chills and headaches. Blood tests usually show several abnormalities: low levels of white blood cells, called lymphocytes; and elevated levels of several enzymes, including lactate dehydrogenase, aspartate aminotransferase, alanine aminotransferase, and creatinine kinase.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
People become ill from the virus two to 11 days after they are exposed to another infected person.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this makes it sound like you WILL catch it 2 to 11 days after contact, which is definitely not the case. You have a certain finite chance of becoming sick if you come into contact with it. It's not definite. What are the transmission statistics?

For example, for smallpox the highest numbers are amongst unprotected care givers where it's as high as 30%, but just walking down the street it's more like 4%.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kalengkong said:
just ordered 100 UV LED from HK.
take the order,spray it with a lot of disinfectan or burn it when its arrived?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can forward them to me and I'll take care of them for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Maybe you could light the UV led's while still in the box to eradicate the virus a la microwave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it too much, though. Just don't go licking any of your new leds and you should be fine. And don't sniff them either.

-Jason

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I stand corrected for quoting out of date information on the incubation period. The CDC has a rather extensive series of web pages here . Looks like it is here to stay (unless it mutates into something more benign), hopefully it will be seasonal. After surviving being laid up for 10 months with Epstein-Barr virus (at the age of 42), SARS doesn't worry me that much.....though I still don't want to catch it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Later,
Dan

snake

Enlightened
alcohol! with 70% plus alcohol could kill it!
ai... every time after I passing around some public area, I need to wash my hand with alcohol gel..

good luck everyone