Which is better 1 AA Flashlight?: The Fenix LOD, L1D or Fenix LD10 Q5?

jenskh

Enlightened
Well, one of them can be ruled out from your description. The L0D is an AAA light. It is a very nice light though...

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
I own a Fenix L2S.

Which one would be the better one?

I'm used to 45 lumens.

Which one would be a step above in brightness and reliability?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I own a Fenix L2S.
Which one would be the better one?
The L1D Q5 and LD10 Q5 are basically the same light with slightly different external styling (although the body tubes are still inter-changeable). Output and performance are the same. Either one will be an update from the L2S, although the 1AA format limits the max output and runtime (the L2D/LD20 on Turbo is considerably brighter than the L1D/LD10).

1996alnl

Enlightened
Hmm i wonder if i could run 2xAA's with the head of my LOD10,it looks the same as the LOD20 or is the Q5 in the LOD20 driven harder?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1D Q5 and LD10 Q5 are basically the same light with slightly different external styling (although the body tubes are still inter-changeable). Output and performance are the same. Either one will be an update from the L2S, although the 1AA format limits the max output and runtime (the L2D/LD20 on Turbo is considerably brighter than the L1D/LD10).

The output of the L1D-Q5 and LD10 is in theory the same, as long as one keeps in mind the LED lottery. My 5 samples of the L1D-Q5 and single sample of the LD10, before nearly all of them were passed to their new owners, provided an obvious case of the LED lottery. The single copy of the LD10 was not as bright as any of the L1D-Q5 units in a comparative ceiling bounce test. The comparison was formed by pointing the two lights to be compared at the same spot on the ceiling, covering the heads of both lights with a thumb, and then uncovering/covering one or the other heads.

Also, the beam pattern of the LD10 is noticeably narrower than the L1D-Q5. That was also observed by the maintenance personnel that received the lights. The LD10 was rejected and eventually went to a paper carrier who needed the possible "throw". Because of the narrower beam pattern, the group will not purchase any more LD10 units, only L1D-Q5.

As for the head on the L1D-Q5 and L2D-Q5, I believe that they are actually the same head. I am not sure about the LD10 and LD20.

kts

Enlightened
Hmm i wonder if i could run 2xAA's with the head of my LOD10,it looks the same as the LOD20 or is the Q5 in the LOD20 driven harder?

I wonder how your lights look, I have never heard of these models :thinking::crackup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Also, the beam pattern of the LD10 is noticeably narrower than the L1D-Q5.
The overall spillbeam width is pretty much exactly the same. The difference in beam pattern is that the LD10 has a more defined hotspot with less bright spill (i.e. a more typical Cree pattern). The L1D with textured reflector tends to have a less pronounced transition from hotspot to brighter spill. This gives the LD10 more of a thrower look, but it doesn't actually throw signficantly further than the L1D.

Of course, emitter lottery will be at play for tint and Vf, so colour and runtime (and to a lesser extent output) will be affected. But the key point is that Fenix has not altered the circuit since the later batch of L1Ds, so you would see the exact same differences within any grouping of L1D or LD10 samples.

The choice of LD10 over L1D thus comes down to build features, including body styling and reflector. Personally, I prefer the original the look and feel of the L1D, but YMMV.

And yes, the LD20 and LD10 heads are the same (except for the label on them). They are interchangeable on the LD20/LD10 bodies, as well as the original L1D/L2D bodies (and the LxT v2.0 bodies for that matter)

Note that none of the LxD/LDx0 heads and bodies are interchangeable with the LxS series lights or original LxT series (luxeon).

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the E01 when small, long running EDC is the task,
an LD20, PD30, or better a Jetbeam Jet III Pr ST (18650) if POWER, runtime and "almost EDC" is the task.

The "normal" one celled lights (AA, CR123) are something in between, not good at any of these tasks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can also look at the L2T V2.0. Similar to your L2S but with current gen LEDs.

Between the L1D-CE Q5 and LD10, it's more of a choice of styling and reflector(LD10 should have a slightly narrower beam).

Hmm i wonder if i could run 2xAA's with the head of my LOD10,it looks the same as the LD20 or is the Q5 in the LD20 driven harder?
If they are like the L1D and L2D, then they should use the same circuit and should work with 1 AA, 2 AA, or a single CR123.

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
Is it possible to take the head on the L1D and put it on my L2S and use 2 AA batteries like a L2D?

Is the head on the L1D exactly the same as a L2D?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The newer lights aren't compatible with the older ones. The L1D head won't work with the L2S.

L1D has the exact same circuit as the L2D. Just a different body.

Mikellen

Enlightened
According to Fenix's information, the L1D is 12 lumens for 25 hours on low, and 53 lumens for 5 hours on medium.
The LD10 is 9 lumens for 34 hours on low, and 47 lumens for 6 hours on medium.

Is this information accurate? Is there any runtime graphs comparing the L1D and LD10? Does the LD10 actually have more runtime than the L1D?

Thanks.

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I have a L1D-CE and a LD10. My L1D got 22h on low with an Eneloop.

The LD10 was 28h 30m on low and 5h 4m on medium - same cell.

I am not sure about the L1D but the LD10 runtimes quoted on the Fenix site are with a 2500 mAh cell.

pae77

Enlightened
Is the low on the LD10 noticeably lower than on the L1D?

I have an early L1D CE that is still going strong and has been a great light for me. The only thing is, I would prefer it if it had a lower low. But I;m not sure that is quite enough of a reason to get me to upgrade or get a different light.

It sure would be nice to have a lower low though, along with the Fenix UI which I like.

Last edited:

JWP_EE

Enlightened
The LD10 has more throw than the L1D. The LD10 hot spot looks brighter to me but the overall light output looks about the same on low.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
I have both the L1D and the L2D, as well as several E01's and an LD01 stainless (mainly for its durability. Wish the E01 came in stainless!). I prefer them to the newer style in the LDx format. At work, I carry an E01 in my left pants pocket and the LD01 stainless in my right. I carry my L1D (Q5 of course) in my tool pouch. I do telephone and network installation and maintenance at a local hospital, so I'm either up in ceilings or down on and/or under floors quite a bit, and the pocket lights serve me quite well for most things. The L1D is for when I have to drag out a big gun to be able to see more than 10 or 15 feet in those crevasses (lots of light and easier to carry than a 2AA). I prefer the wider, less defined hotspot and more intense side spill of the LxD lights in those circumstances. A tighter hotspot would not be as beneficial to me in my applicaion. But, on the weekends when I'm camping, hunting, or fishing, the L2D gives me all the lumens and throw I need. I can camp or night fish with the L2D and do just fine, or throw on a red filter and use the low setting and walk right into almost any deer stand with minimal impact. An added benefit is that all of these ligts use AAA and AA batteries that I can get anywhere. I normally use ROV Hybrid rechargeables, but anything will do in a pinch. I do own a couple of CR123 lights, that I like alot (I use them around the house, mostly), but they just don't work for me as well as a AA or AAA light. :thumbsup:

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I carry the LD10 and it is a very nice 1AA light. I also have the LD01 (1AAA) and it is very nice light but a little to small for me.
The Ld10 is the way to go for EDC in part because it has long run time, good lumes and a belt sheath. My wife uses the LD20 (2 AA) around the house, she likes it.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
A question for the LD10 users, does the reflector style affect the beam patter? Apparently there are 2 reflector versions, smooth and textured available.

Latest posts