Attitude-like flood, 1 AAA, "bite-able"

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a PT Attitude. 4 AAAs, 3 LEDs in a plastic body, flat and very compact.

I loved that flashlight (until it got lost).

Because it was plastic, you could clench it between your teeth when necessary for hands free. The 3 LEDs made a very nice, smooth, flood light for task work.

Is there a more modern version of a flood, task light like this that is plastic or rubber coated so it is more bite-able. I'd prefer 1 AAA. I might just buy another Attitude (I see they still sell them) but I thought I'd ask if there is something more up-to-date.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think it was partly because of your recommendations that I purchased an Attitude way back after joining the forum. It became one of my car lights and still sees occasional use. I do like its floody beam and that you can be assured it's waterproof.

Geoff

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. That Attitude is a darn useful light. We took ours camping a few times and it was the light we used the most. We had other, more powerful lights, but that compact size, long battery life and smooth floody beam just about did it for most camp site tasks. I miss it!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Princeton Tec Amp 3.0. It's an updated version of the Attitude and is only a couple of bucks more.
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_AMP_3.0.php

I actually have one of these guys on order. It's a little longer and heavier than the Attitude and doesn't have the dive rating, but it's xylex and rubber, has 4 Nichia DS to give you an even better flood than the Attitude.

Was the Attitude always rated at 30 lumens?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Any 1 AAA light with a bit of ldf on the lens and a few layers of shrink tube on it will do what you want.

You won't get the fun of buying a new light but it will do.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yeah, I remember having an Attitude....

Liked that little bugger!

Had an Impact as well and hated the beam! (moonbeam).

There are still a few lights I haven't seen in the 3+ years since we moved!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I still have my attitude, the case broke on it but I emailed PT and they sent me a new model case for it (the head was ok) It now has a pocket clip and I like the newer design. If you want a 1AA with a floody beam get an Xnova and put some tubing over it. The 12LED versions with the battery that goes in backwards are about 30% brighter than the other 8 and 12 led single AA versions. I have a "converted" UK incan 2AAA light that isn't too bad runs direct drive off 2 lithiums using a dorcy keychain led module it is more useful to me than the eled which uses a boosted led with optic.

scottm

Newly Enlightened
attachment.php
I posted this elsewhere, but it seems appropriate. I've got simple vinyl caps on both ends of this LD01. One on the tail for biting, and a modified one on the front for protection. I went with the aluminum LD01 for less weight, expecting to hold it in my teeth occasionally.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have the ultimate 1AAA floody light... perhaps too much flood.
I took a 2-6 cell nite ize mag pr2 base LED replacement bulb, a spring and plastic washer assembly from a broken mightylite incan along with half of the contact strip going to the spring and tore apart a dorcy keychain light that has a 4xAG3 cartridge in it and a module that is nearly identical to the UK2AAA side by side lights. I used a short piece of clear water line to keep the bulb from bumping the plastic lens. This little light will run down to near nothing on a battery works great on rechargables.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My ultimate floody light was a 1AA Cree from DX with a white tube the length of the reflector replacing it.

It wouldn't light up something very far but up close that was FLOODY!!!!

I'm going to try my River Rock 2AA headlamp with no reflector as a reading light before going to sleep tonight.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to throw a slight curveball with this suggestion, but the Photon Rex is extremely biteable, has that flood you want and you can charge it with anything up to 3 volts. What are your needs runtime wise?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup. I own one of the original Dorcy AAA lights before they switched the beam from flood to spot.

It is one of my favorite flashlights (I use it all the time).

But... it is kind of "cheap", the threads don't work very well for turning it off and on. The floody beam of my Attitude was better. If I can't find a better substitue, I will likely just keep using my old, cheap, rubber girded Dorcy.

In the thread you listed, I like the practical notions of rubber tubing. Thanks!