anybody out here own a Jetta TDI?

astrotec

Newly Enlightened
a friend of mine has a newer VW golf/ jetta diesel and gets easily that in the city and more on the highway. a VW is one of those choices that you get the "You Have Chosen WISELY" feeling. good luck, they are a very economical ride, and with the added benefit of German engineering ... it becomes a whoo hoo ride ...
a.t.:cool:
VW
Audi
Porsche
zer goot!

the current trend in Fuel Pricing is only temporary ... do not be fooled into thinking it will stay low ... IT Will Go Back Up.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well James, scarey how close your choice may be to mine--possibly identical! I have been looking at the Jettas as well--I have owned two so far and have been satisfied. I drove several recently but not the TDI. My reservations are that despite the increased mileage, the price of diesel fuel is about a buck a gallon more than gas. This tends to offset the advantage. Also, brakes on the newer Jettas are a problem fro some--they wear out rapidly. Jettas are expensive to repair in general. Despite these disadvantages, I like 'em--solid.

Karl

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that the new Jetta TDI was just voted "green car of the year" at the Los Angeles auto show last week.
I have a friend that has one and it just keeps going and going. He claims he is always over 40 mpg.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Two words: get one!

They're extremely nice cars. They're kinda hard to find, though (people who own them don't get rid of them easily), and for that reason they are generally pricier.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There's a brief review of the all-new Volkswagen Jetta TDI in the new Car&Driver, see it here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...009_volkswagen_jetta_tdi_short_take_road_test

The 8.1 second 0-60 time is quite a surprise, though having 2 lb-ft of torque per cubic inch and a six-speed dual-clutch semi-auto transmission probably helps. Counting the diesel tax credit you'd get, a base model rings in at just over $21k..

Ratton

Newly Enlightened
Hi There,

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI auto trans and I have now put 81,000 miles on it. I consistently get 44-45 MPG on the hwy going 70+ MPH. It is the most comfortable vehicle I have drive any distance in. I will soon be driving 1,800 miles to Florida and will arrive feeling refreshed and not whipped like I use to when I drove other vechicles down. I have not replaced my brakes, and the only thing I have replaced besides one set of tires was an alarm horn (covered under warrenty).

It has the smoothest 6 speed auto tranny I have ever driven, you really never feel it shift. The suspension is incredible, it really handle well!!!

It does tick me off that diesel is soooo expensive now!!!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of curiosity how much more fuel efficient is the diesel over the gas model, and how much more does the diesel cost?

Thanks

Bill

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a Jetta TDI for my wife. It was a nice car and the mileage was there but it didn't cut it
on our steep 1000' long driveway in the winter. Bought her a new Honda CR-V which she has
averaged 31.8 MPG over the past 27k miles.

The Jetta was a very well built car and other than it's inability in the snow, had zero complaints.
Her 4WD CR-V allows her much more peace of mind this time of year.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I'm on my second Jetta (though as I said not diesels) and I have found them to be the very best snow cars I've ever owned. Now, they are the only front-wheel drive cars I've ever had and, I sure don't know your 1,000 foot driveway but, we get a fair amount of snow here in Ne Pa and I take my cars back into the woods where I hike and have never been stuck...yet. That being said, Jettas sure aren't four-wheel drive vehicles and I can't say I'd want to match a four wheel-drive car with my Jetta. In deep snow (12" or so) the car will lose traction and could become stuck on top of the snow! When it's that deep though, it's no time for driving for me and I'll walk if I need a loaf of bread.

Karl

chanamasala

Enlightened
Surprising calculations:

Jetta 2.5L Unleaded Gas:

Suppose 25mpg in mixed driving and 15,000 miles a year. That's 600 gallons of gas consumed a year. National Avg. Unleaded price: $1.89 (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp)

Yearly Car Energy Expense: $1134 ($1.89 x 600)

Jetta TDI:

Suppose 35.5mpg in mixed driving and 15,000 miles a year. That's 422.54 gallons of diesel consumed a year. National Avg. Diesel price: $2.66

Yearly Car Energy Expense: $1124 ($2.66 x 422.54)

The older I get the more I think some things are being manipulated by a powerful relatively small hidden group. Events could lead some people to believe that maybe a powerful group wants to stifle diesel use in US cars and they have created this higher diesel price on purpose. Who knows? Regardless, I too want a Jetta TDI

You might want to include any available tax rebates and the diesel engine's supposed longer lifetime in your purchase decision too.

Last edited:

russthetoolman

Enlightened
I own a 1999.5 TDI 5 spd and get in the city doing service calls for my job 55mpg, every single fill up, that's 660 miles on 12 gallons. one size bigger injectors, K&N filter, removed snow screen, stock computer and I drive the speed limit. change oil and fuel filter, timing belt, glowplugs and I have 188K on it. I think it's BS that we don't have more diesels available in the US. Oh and my 1999.5 Dodge cummins 4x4 that weighs 7600 lbs empty gets 22mpg city driving, 5spd manual. no emissions on this engine as it's the medium duty cummins.
If you are good with maintenance and getting fuel from a fresh source such as a truck stop and keep water drained from the fuel filter, they are ultra efficient and lots of fun to drive due to the torque.
Russ

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprising calculations:

Jetta 2.5L Unleaded Gas:

Suppose 25mpg in mixed driving and 15,000 miles a year. That's 600 gallons of gas consumed a year. National Avg. Unleaded price: $1.89 (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp)

Yearly Car Energy Expense: $1134 ($1.89 x 600)

Jetta TDI:

Suppose 35.5mpg in mixed driving and 15,000 miles a year. That's 422.54 gallons of diesel consumed a year. National Avg. Diesel price: $2.66

Yearly Car Energy Expense: $1124 ($2.66 x 422.54)

The older I get the more I think some things are being manipulated by a powerful relatively small hidden group. Events could lead some people to believe that maybe a powerful group wants to stifle diesel use in US cars and they have created this higher diesel price on purpose. Who knows? Regardless, I too want a Jetta TDI

You might want to include any available tax rebates and the diesel engine's supposed longer lifetime in your purchase decision too.
I carpooled with my family in a Jetta TDI this past weekend for thanksgiving. We averaged 42mpg despite lots of driving in traffic, and on unpaved mountain roads. I believe the TDIs do better in real life relative to the EPA MPG stickers than the gasoline counterparts.

The gasoline Jetta requires premium gasoline, which makes the fuel price difference significant less.

Also, diesel has a much higher variance in price from place to place than gasoline, so if you are the type that shops around for the cheapest fuel, it may be more fair to compare the lowest prices for the respective fuels in a particular region, than the national averages.

In Southern California, Premium is $1.90 at the lowest, compared to $2.40 for diesel. On our trip however, most if the stations we saw that charged 2.40 for Diesel charged $2.10 for premium gas. So this equation may depend a lot on prices in your area.

Another advantage of the diesel is that the 40% higher MPG will lead to that much longer driving range on a tank, as well, even if the price savings are almost a push.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I have a 04 TDI and love it!

In town it's in the 30's but on the interstate I can get 60 Mpg. Seriously!
I'm using a K&N air filter and it does make a difference in this car.

Took me a year and a half to find a low mileage used one but it was worth it. I got it in 07 and have saved a load of money on fuel.

Art

Enlightened
I own 2 TDIs... one has 340k kms and the other 210k kms.
For you guys that have diesel more expensive than gas its not a big deal... problably a 1.4TSI will be better there (do you get them already?).

Dont know MPG but the 1.9TDI 105bhp gets easly 6L/100km.

Very nice engine , I already remaped some to nearly 165bhp and they run great!

Go and test a FSI or TSI .. ther is here a version of the TSI very good for nice MPG... the 1.4 122bhp that comes on the Audi A3.

Regards,

Art

Enlightened
Just did some searching and you only get hte 2.0TFSI... 200bhp and you only the 25mgp more less...
The 1.4 TFSI I was talking about its a 125bhp engine able to do 4.8L/100km and only 133g CO2 emissions.

And the Jetta is now 2.0TDi 140bhp... nice but not as economic as a 1.9TDI...

Its strange that in a country that has more polution then europe you guys dont use much diesel.

You never got there the 1.9TDI 110bhp... and the 150bhp...
The BMW 335d comes here with 286bhp and you get it with 265bhp...

We have here some 335d coupe runing on a remap with 350bhp :D

Ohh I could go for ages here ... sorry!