Nitecore D10 on the way!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a Nitecore D10 on Wednesday afternoon and it shipped today! Should be here Monday or Tuesday, can't wait to get it. Before it gets here, I need suggestions on what battery to use. I don't have any 14500 batteries or a charger, so that is out right now. My options are alkaline, NIMH, and lithium primaries. Which would be the best option for runtime? I am thinking the lithium might be the best option. What do you guys think?

PS, does the package come in the mailbox or do you have to go to the post office to pick it up? It came from 4seven's. Also, how do you guys like your D10?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine arrived Mon/Tue (?) this week in the mailbox. It has been awhile since I have been on CPF and the 1st light that caught my attention was the D10. I am not saying that the D10 is better than my HDS U60GT, but I decided to sell my HDS collection. It just seems to be an overall more cost effective light that fulfills my light needs.

Cool! What batteries would you recommend? I don't have any 14500 so those are out. How do you like the brightness "ramping"? Is it easy to use? This looks like an awesome light, can't wait!

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still very happy with mine, and the brightness ramping works very well. Not sure what batteries to recommend for you, but mine's been fine with alkaline, disposable lithiums and GP ReCyko (similar to Eneloop).

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Lithiums will certainly be the "best" for runtime, but I am always changing out freshly recharged batteries that runtime for a small EDC light like this is not my main concern.

Personally, I'd rather carry an extra freshly charged NiMH than buy an expensive lithium battery because I am a big fat cheapskate and hate disposable batteries.

Oh, and I really like the included lanyard. . .

sappyg

Enlightened
congradulations on the d10. you're gonna like it.
i bought 4 duracell NiMH aa with a charger from wallmart that i like very much for about $20.00 or so. i change out the batts once a week and have no concern about run time.
personally, the lanyard that comes with the d10 is useless IMHO because the clip inteferes with the UI. i found that the p2d holster works best for edc. have'nt tried the new clip yet.

edc3

Enlightened
Congratulations snowlover91. I think you'll love your D10. My .02 on the batteries is to go with one of the low self-discharge NiMHs. I personally hate throwing away batteries. I also hate feeling I have to run a primary all the way down before I can throw it away without guilt. I want access to full brightness whenever I want it and without wasting a battery that still has life in it. I don't know if you have a Costco where you live, but the last time I was there they had a good deal on an Eneloop 8 battery pack with charger. Around $21. Have fun! :welcome:

Also, check out this post for a cheap, do-it-yourself diffuser for your D10.

Last edited:

dagored

Enlightened
Ordered my D10 on Wednesday. It arrived today. Nice lite. My second LED. I bought a Coleman LED lantern to replace an old big battery lantern. Liked it.

Found this forum and read up on some of the different lights. Found the 4Seven sight and was sold on the D10. I am using eneloops in it.

Costco always seems to have them and at great prices compared to RS.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the welcome guys! :twothumbs

I think I will go the NIMH path, one of our local stores has a charger and 8AA's for like $20 so I will go with that probably. As far as recharging NIMH batteries, do they cut off like Lithium-ion batteries or do you run them down like a normal battery?

Also finding myself wanting the Nitecore D20, let the madness begin. :twothumbs

Lake Effect

Newly Enlightened
I found the pelican clip on the large size for the D10. With the CR123 version of the light (larger diameter) it might be a better fit.

I found that the pelican clip is even too big for my EX10. I think a standard lanyard like the ones Fenix supplies with their small lights is better suited for the Nitecore PD's.

edc3

Enlightened
Make sure you get some LSD (Low Self-Discharge) NiMHs. The older NiMH batteries will lose their charge just sitting around. That aint no fun.

With regard to discharging NiMHs, I believe you can over-discharge them and thereby shorten their life. Swap batteries as soon as you notice your light is dimming. For that matter, you don't want to run lithium rechargeables down to where the protection cuts them off either, for the same reason. There is some interesting reading over in the battery forum. Learning about batteries and charging is all part of the fun of this hobby.

Also finding myself wanting the Nitecore D20, let the madness begin. :twothumbs

You're hooked. Kiss your wallet goodbye. :broke:

I just bought a Surefire C2 and I'm already wanting an Eagletac T10C2.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you get some LSD (Low Self-Discharge) NiMHs. The older NiMH batteries will lose their charge just sitting around. That aint no fun.

With regard to discharging NiMHs, I believe you can over-discharge them and thereby shorten their life. Swap batteries as soon as you notice your light is dimming. For that matter, you don't want to run lithium rechargeables down to where the protection cuts them off either, for the same reason. There is some interesting reading over in the battery forum. Learning about batteries and charging is all part of the fun of this hobby.

You're hooked. Kiss your wallet goodbye. :broke:

I just bought a Surefire C2 and I'm already wanting an Eagletac T10C2.

Thanks, I was gonna get the energizer charger with 8AA NIMH batteries with a claim of 2350mah, are these good rechargeable batteries to use?

Yeah, I already have 3 LED flashlights with 2 more on the way, already spent alot! Flashlight should come late Monday, can't wait!

edc3

Enlightened
Hey Snowlover,

The NiMHs I have are Eneloops and I would argue that even if the 2350MaH figure is accurate, my 2000MaH batteries will soon have more capacity than yours due to their low self-discharge. I would strongly recommend that you buy either Eneloops, Rayovac Hybrids, Duracel Pre-charged or another LSD NiMH. Unless you're using conventional NiMHs soon after charging the extra capacity will soon be negated.

Please let us know how you like the D10 after you get it!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Snowlover,

The NiMHs I have are Eneloops and I would argue that even if the 2350MaH figure is accurate, my 2000MaH batteries will soon have more capacity than yours due to their low self-discharge. I would strongly recommend that you buy either Eneloops, Rayovac Hybrids, Duracel Pre-charged or another LSD NiMH. Unless you're using conventional NiMHs soon after charging the extra capacity will soon be negated.

Please let us know how you like the D10 after you get it!

Ok, thanks for the advice. What is a good charger and batteries 2 get in a local stores, like Lowe's, HD, Walmart, etc.? I don't have a Costco in town either. Thanks for all the help, will report on it tomorrow afternoon!

edc3

Enlightened
I bought a 4 pack of Eneloops with charger from Walmart some time back. I've also seen Rayovac Hybrids, Duracell Pre-charged and Kodak Pre-charged NiMHs in local stores. If the battery says pre-charged it's an LSD. They put a charge on them at the factory and since they hold a charge so well, you can use them right out of the package. I've been tempted to try the Duracell since they seem to carry them everwhere.

Not sure what kind of charger is best. I've got a Maha MH-C9000. Read through the battery forum when you have a chance. You can go almost as crazy with chargers and batteries and with flashlights. :D

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a 4 pack of Eneloops with charger from Walmart some time back. I've also seen Rayovac Hybrids, Duracell Pre-charged and Kodak Pre-charged NiMHs in local stores. If the battery says pre-charged it's an LSD. They put a charge on them at the factory and since they hold a charge so well, you can use them right out of the package. I've been tempted to try the Duracell since they seem to carry them everwhere.

Not sure what kind of charger is best. I've got a Maha MH-C9000. Read through the battery forum when you have a chance. You can go almost as crazy with chargers and batteries and with flashlights. :D

Ok, thanks for the help. I will check out Walmart and see what options they have.

Received my D10 today and it is excellent! Ramping works perfectly, and "shortcuts" to max hi and low work perfectly. The only thing is the button sticks a little bit, and the area appears dry. I would assume a little dab of silicon grease would fix that problem, correct? Overall I love this light, good throw with good spill. Am very happy!

bobrip

Newly Enlightened
I recommend always carrying a spare battery. Sometimes they go from full to off very quickly. I use the Eneloops and am very satisfied with them. The older design NiMH loose about 30% charge a month. This is way too much and will be higher if it is warmer than 70 Deg F.

edc3

Enlightened
Hey snowlover91,

I'm glad you're having fun with your D10. When I first got mine the button was a little sticky too. It had shipped with some nasty blue lube on the piston O-ring. I cleaned it very thoroughly and lubed it with a Teflon lube from Radio Shack. Since then, on the recommendation of other CPF users, I've lubed it with Nyogel.

I'm tempted to buy some of the Duracel pre-charged, just to try them out. I've read some threads that say they're just re-branded Eneloops. And they're a lot easier to find in stores than the Eneloops for some reason. The Rayovac are supposed to be quite good as well and are also easier to find and cheaper. Here's a thread with some interesting info.