LD01 Stainless ( very impressed )( updated w/ Jumping problem)

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've had a chance to play with my Stainless LD01 for the last couple of days and I have to say I'm very impressed. The robust feel of this light is just wonderful. I expected a much thinner walled construction (to save costs in SS material ) but was pleasantly surprised. Look at the photograph below of the tail end of the light. The material thickness is very apparent. I have noticed on my Tiablo A1 that the split ring has almost wore through the hole in the aluminum after less than a year of carrying on my keyring. I can't see that happening with the SS LD01. Plus it is very bright for a AAA light in my opinion.

This has very quickly become one of my favorite lights. The only draw back that you could complain about is the wieght, but personally I like the heavy duty feel of this light.

Bill

20081125ld010009du4.jpg

20081127ld010005xy5.jpg

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: LD01 Stainless ( very impressed )

Can I ask about a few things?

Tint?
Rings in the "beautiful beamshots"?
Centered emitter?
Did you polish it to make it look that shiny, I like it!

And who did you order your's from to get it early? :twothumbs

I like the idea of a tiny, weighty light. Feels like quality I bet.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

My tint is very white. No blue at all which I personally prefer.

I bought mine from BrightGuy.com. Great People!

Yes, I did polish some with metal polish.

It does have the infamous Cree ring but hardly noticible, except when white walling.

The emmiter looks perfectly centered to me. My spot is perfect with no donuts in the middle, nor do I see anything off center in the beam?

I also have not seen any of the problems like changing modes on its own. Mine is bug free. (EDIT: I guess I spoke too soon.)

I will take a beam shot today sometime for you and post it in this thread.

Bill

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

That is great news! Thanks a bunch.

Oh 1 more thing is the head glued together so you can't get to the emitter?

I was thinking what a gread EDC this would be if I could put in a 5A Q3! I've recently become very fond of warm tints.

Darkspark

Newly Enlightened

I'm with you, hitthespot.:party: I just recieved mine a couple of days ago and
i am impressed. The f'n'f on the outside, i.e. the polishing job could be a shade better, but other than that it is real nice. Sure it's hefty, but i like it and the beam is bright, centered and white.
My only frame of reference with Fenix is the P3d that i have...it's great too, but this LD01 is my new favorite.

...I like to pretend that it's my poor man's Titan...:)

Last edited:

zx7dave

Enlightened

Thanks for the pic's..I think Fenix did a nice job on this.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rings in the "beautiful beamshots"?

Here you go Sgt. You can see the ring but I think for the size of this light it is more than acceptable. Medium setting. Slightly under exposed.

Bill

20081128ld010002fm3.jpg

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Thanks for the wall shot!

I thinks it looks good. Now I will compare to yours when mine shows up!

Awesome. :thumbsup:

Splunk_Au

Enlightened

Why would you expect Fenix to use thinner walls for a light already this size? Is stainless steel an expensive material? There are so many larger things made of stainless steel from cookware to tools without costing much anyway.

Does yours have the level jumping problem as with the earlier batch? Will in stay on low or medium for more than a few minutes?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LD01 Stainless ( very impressed ) ( with level jumping update)

Does yours have the level jumping problem as with the earlier batch? Will in stay on low or medium for more than a few minutes?

Funny you should ask. I was just coming in to update my post.

I was doing some things outside and in the garage. I had my LD01 on for around 4 or 5 minutes. It shut off from the medium mode went to low mode, then shut off and went to high mode and stayed there. I came in the house and tried it again. After 3 or 4 minutes it did the same thing. I placed a brand new Energizer Lithium in and ran the same experiment. After 5 minutes the light was still in medium mode. I took the new battery out and placed the old battery in. Same thing. After 2 minutes the light jumped into low from medium then from low to high.

I think it is just a weak battery glitch, and may be something not all that troublesome to me. I will analyze the light and play with it over the next couple of days and decide if it is really a problem. Right now I don't think so.

Bill

Last edited:

Splunk_Au

Enlightened

That would confirm that you have a faulty LD01. It's not a weak battery glitch, but an issue when using 1.2V rechargeables.

The sequence of the level jumping is consistent with the runtime graph shown in post #3 in this thread.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

That would confirm that you have a faulty LD01. It's not a weak battery glitch, but an issue when using 1.2V rechargeables.

I'm using Energizer Lithiums which start at around 1.7 volts. However, thank you for the link, I have not seen those graphs yet.

Bill

AA6TZ

Enlightened

Hi Bill -- Congratulations on getting your new LD01 -- I'm very happy for you! AND . . . I placed an order three days ago for (2) Stainless Steel Fenix_LD01 keychain LED flashlights, as well. After reading (and re-reading) your review, now I'm *REALLY* excited about getting them!!!

The LD01 sure looks pretty:
Please keep us posted on your new light. :thumbsup:

-Clive

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

This flashlight comes with a proximity and usefulness sensor which detects whether you really need the high more or not. Then it automatly goes to low mode, for a battery-saving standby mode.

When the LD01 switched to low mode, it detected that you have already done your task and dont need the high mode anymore. :crackup:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just ran some more tests. After 5 minutes with a new Energizer battery the light stays in medium like it should. With the older battery the light changes modes quicker and quicker each time I try it. Now it happens within 10 seconds on the older battery. It definitely seems like a lower voltage induced problem. However the voltage measured across the weaker lithium cell is still 1.514 volts, which is much stronger than I thought it would be. I would say at this point there is no doubt of a circuit problem.

I wish you were right Richard. An automatic light that knows which mode you need before you do?

Bill

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mode jumping problem seems to have been in earlier batches.

Each LD01 SS that will be coming from 4sevens starting next week have been tested by Fenix themselves to make sure the problem is not in their lights.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I was this far >< from pulling the trigger on this light, but now I'll wait until an updated LD01 circuit comes out - let's hope it's in stainless also. I'm betting they'll need to change the model number.

Same boat. I am going to hold off too.