I'm a pilot - help me find some new flashlights

midwestpilot

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I am new here, and not really a "flashaholic" or up to date on all of the current lights out there. When I fly (recreationally, not commercially), I carry three lights - two A2 Aviators with red LED's, and one old Arc 4+. I love the Arc because I can keep the LED on the lowest setting (which must be less than one lumen), and I use this inside the cockpit at night when I want a soft light that won't kill my night vision. The light stays on this setting when I turn it off, and that is a big benefit. The Aviators are incredible incandescent lights, but I find the LED's to really be too strong for night use in the cockpit. I have not tried the ones with other color LED's, but I am guessing they are as bright as the reds, which I find to be too much. So, I'd like to know of some recommendations for a light which has; a) at least two brightness levels, one of which can be very low; b) whatever setting is last used is retained when the light is turned back on; and c) the high setting is very bright. Having a bright light is essential for looking for ice buildup on the wings and leading edges while flying through clouds, and the A2 is amazing at that. The A2's brightness and ability to illuminate far-away objects has come in very handy when navigating around dark airports. If I could simply get those LED's to be dimmer, it would be the ideal light, I suppose. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. THANKS

Edit - price is not a concern.

Last edited:

scottm

Newly Enlightened
Can you settle for one walkaround light and one cockpit light? I used to have a 2xAA light that changed from white to red filter when I pulled the lense forward. That was great in the cockpit, but inadequate for seeing the tail of a 767. I carried a 4xC-cell Maglight for a while, not for brightness, but for self-defense in 3rd-world layover hotels. TSA threatened to take my 4C Maglight and I switched to a 3C.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nitecore Defender Infinity and Extreme have a user settable low output setting. Jetbeam IBS lights also have user settable outputs, along with the Liteflux lights, Novatacs, RA lights, and one or two more companies that I'm forgetting.

:welcome:

Toaster

Enlightened
Take a look at the Jetbeam Jet-III M. It seems to fit your criteria very well. There's a review here you may wish to read through.

To summarize it has 2 modes you switch between by rotating the head. One mode is fixed max output. On max it'll put out much more light at greater distances than your A2. The second mode is user adjustable and can be set for an extremely low output level. Also important is that you can order the light with a warm tint. Warm tint LED has a color temperature closer to incandescent light which improves color rendition and ability to pierce through fog, snow compared with the cool white LEDs you typically find.

You can order this light from here using code 'cpfjet' for an additional 10% off discount.

american lockpicker

Enlightened
What about a Photon Freedom micro, if you squeeze and hold it the first setting is at the lowest also the brightest setting is pretty bright for a small flash light. It comes in various LED colours, costs under $25.00, Its Made in the USA with foreign and domestic parts, its small, uses somewhat easy to find batteries, can be used hands free, has SOS setting, etc.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you love your arc 4 check out the Novatac or the new ARC 6

nbp

Flashaholic
OK, so I am new here, and not really a "flashaholic" or up to date on all of the current lights out there. When I fly (recreationally, not commercially), I carry three lights - two A2 Aviators with red LED's, and one old Arc 4+. .

Sorry to break it to you, bro....but you're a flashaholic :oops:

:welcome:

PS: price doesn't matter now, but it will soon if you hang around here :broke:

notamchris

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I am a pilot as well and I absolutely love my Ra Twisty - Three level twisty that starts on very low which is perfect for preserving night vision (there is a low white or low red version available), then there is a medium and high setting by twisting a bit further. The high is quite bright and is definately suitable for walk arounds or ice inspection (what - no built in ice lights?).

The best thing about it is that it is very predictable and it always starts on low so you don't get surprised by a bright light when you want to keep your night vision.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well, you seem to really like your A2 and that it would be your perfect light if the red LEDs were a bit dimmer so I have a suggestion. You could contact on of the premier modders on CPF which is milkyspit (his real name is Scott). He has given countless people there ideal lights and I am sure he could make the red LEDs dimmer for you. His PM box is always full but you can contact him at his email address. His email is milky(at)quarryrun and im sure he could make both your A2's the only lights you would ever need up there.

greenLED

Flashaholic
The Aviators ... but I find the LED's to really be too strong for night use in the cockpit. I have not tried the ones with other color LED's, but I am guessing they are as bright as the reds...
That is not the case at all; get yourself an A2 with Y/G LED's - they're excellent in terms of *low* output and relatively good color rendition (something the red or other color LED's are generally poor at).

Please see my A2 LED colors review for more details.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried a diffuser on the A2? It might make the output low enough and you'd keep the bright incan option as well. I think the diffuser that fits the E2e also fits the A2.

-LT

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam Jet III Models, but not the "M", one of the other.
They feature three individually programmable levels, operated just by the back switch (no twist action).
Same physical size as Your A2s, but with the more powerful 18650 Li-Ion cell inside

... I like the Jet III Pro ST most, because it is the smallest.

PS: I got it shipped with the forward clicky mounted and an additional reverse switch enclosed

KD5XB

Enlightened
I'm wondering the same thing -- if all you need is a really bright beam, with the option to turn it down to an incredibly low beam, then the Military does that really well.

But that suggestion to have your A2 modded has some merit, too -- IIRC, all it takes is a resistor in series with the LED and it will be as dim as you ever thought of.

And if your landing light ever burns out, you can open the window on final and hold one of the Jetbeam lights out so you can see when to flare! (I did just this with a 3-cell Mag once...)

Last edited: