Sanding the led dome on the cree?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I am at work and a thought popped into my head..................

I think the cree led's dome is glass and I wanted to ask if anyone has ever sanded it?

I know it helps smooth out 5mm's and wondered what it would do to a cree.

Say you have a smooth reflector and wanted to make it floodier or smooth out the rings and you can't get an OP reflector for it. I just wonder what sanding it would look like compared to the OP reflector.

I know you could sputter the smooth reflector but humor me a bit.

I don't have anything to test it out with but maybe somebody on CPF has say a DBS with a retired pill and would be willing to try it. Take a pic of the beam before with a smooth reflector and take another pic after sanding the dome a little with some 1000 grit.

This has probably been talked about before somewhere but I didn't see where.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm fairly sure they are not glass. Either plastic or gel. Someone here will know for sure but I had a Cree damaged in shipment (bare LED) and it seems it was more gel like so I'm sure it wouldn't sand very well. The other problem I believe is that that dome comes off way too easy. I think it would easily slide or tip off from any sanding action.
I must have been thinking about the Seoul P4 as I think those are more like gel.

Last edited:

Axion

Enlightened
I was just thinking that a textured reflector dome would be more ideal for smoothing out the beam then a textured reflector since you'd have the beam diffused before the reflector focused it, so you shouldn't lose as much throw.

That said, I'm thinking about ordering a R2 emitter to swap into my EX-10 so maybe I'll try texturizing the emitter on the Q5.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dome isn't held in very tight. From what I have read, by vacuum applied during assembly. You start sanding on it and it's going to pop out, and that will be the end of that emitter. No easy way to put it back, and if you do, the silicone underneath it will not be clear anymore. I've tried to put one back together with no satisfaction.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is it there are this many people who don't know the Cree dome is glass?:shakehead I certainly would not take sand paper to the dome but sand blasting might work. Sure would be easier to use a diffusion film or OP reflector though. Also the dome is not sealed on with a vacuum. It is held on by the meager adhesive properties of the optical gel under the glass dome.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe better off applying diffuser film to the lens.

I thought I was the only one really annoyed by cree rings. I can't understand why Seoul leds aren't more popular. No rings!

Isn't the problem of having them turn blue from high currents a thing of the past. MY Ra Twisty has an awesome beam (no rings) as does my Bitz. Both are Seouls.

Hans Dorn

Newly Enlightened
Since the dome cover is made of glass, it should be possible to etch it with hydrofluoric acid.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not sand the lenses on your prescription glasses, then all your lights will be smoothed out...