newb wanting to upgrade from Mag?

socal8080

Newly Enlightened
Ok, looking for some input here. I am a commercial pool repair tech, i have a mag led AA that i have on my belt next to my TTi. I'm usually in pump rooms or working on heaters where i really like the tightness of the mag. I have recently found this "pull" towards upgrading to a more robust and durable flashlight. A few parameters that i'm looking to incorporate: 1) Led 2)hopefully around the same size as the AA mag, easy to carry in holster on belt 3)can take a beating, dropped, water on it or even a dunk in a pool 4)preferably two lumen settings, low for close work and a higher one for the occasional camping trip 5) 123A batteries not a problem, i'd keep extra's on my rig 6) hopefully not any heavier than the magAA cuz sometimes its "lipped" as i have read here, lol 7) lastly, i would really prefer to have it made in the good ol USA even if i have to pay more for it
I have been looking at the surefire's extensively for the last two months or so, i'm leaning towards the L2 lumamax-really like the bright low end 15 lumens and the higher 100 for the camping runs or when i need the extra power. it has just about all of what i'm looking for, plus the trick lenses to have some extra options with. I don't think that (at least now) that i'm going to have more than two bad boy flashlights, just looking for one for work/recreation
also as i have been reading here, a nice one that is an EDC (never knew what that term was until today) somewhat same parameters as above, but something that i can roll with on my days that i'm not getting dirty at work. something like the surefire EIB,
Any and all recommendations are appreciated in advance, plus i would have never a known that there would be a forum such as this out there. This place is way cool, a lot to injest initially, Flashaholic, i like the ring of that,
once again thanks

Bruce B

Enlightened
You can't go wrong with any Surefire lights, there simply the best IMHO! Get a G2LED for @ work and something more "classy" for play! Hope this suggestion helps. :cool:

carrot

Flashaholic
You think you want the L2, but trust me, the E2L is a nicer light for less. You get absurd runtime (ie, cheaper to use) on both light levels, a very good amount of brightness, and the ability to fit more attachments and accessories (the E-series of lights has traditionally been easily upgradable and modifiable by comparison the the L2).

There are a number of reasons to still want the L2 -- you like the way the switching mechanism works, you like the idea of a "wall of light", and you like the longer length. Whereas the E2L is smaller (closer to a Maglite in size), and offers a tighter beam (better throw).

It is hard to describe and hard to get a feel for without trying both, but the fact that I sold my L2 a long time ago whereas I now have three new E2L's sort of says how much I love this light. The unfortunate part is that the L2 is currently not very popular because it uses "old technology" whereas newer models like the G2L/6PL, E1L, E2L, E1B, L1, and U2A have all been upgraded with LEDs that are twice as efficient than before... but the L2 is still a great light if you find it appealing.

Bruce's recommendation of the G2L is a very good one. While it is easy to go overboard and buy the most expensive one you can afford, the G2L (or similar 6PL) shouldn't be overlooked as a work light. It is tough and durable, takes a beating, and its single-stage 80 lumens is nothing to sneeze at.

As for a general every day carry, I think you cannot really go wrong with an E1B, L1, or E1L. I used to like two-celled lights for EDC but now I just think they are too bulky to do so.

I have a lot of things that I might like to say on the subject of these but there is really a lot to cover and I hate repeating myself, so I would point you to my Guide to High-End Lights in my signature, and also mention that almost every user here is biased towards their own favorite light(s).

socal8080

Newly Enlightened
awesome response so quickly
a couple quick questions
i was reading on another forum about the plumber's flashlight, and 100 lumens would be way to much in most of the tight spaces that i usually look into, but conversely the E2L may not have enough at low setting of 3, and its 60 lumens is only half of the high setting of the L2. I'm gonna want more than map reading illumination on low, but don't wanna get blinded by a single setting of say 60 or 80 lumens, reflecting off on metallic corners and what not.
Was considering a Fenix, but not made in USA
Is surefire the only co. that makes em here? except for Mag???
Does the L2 have the older led without the regulation that the newer one's have...ie longer run times?
lastly, how many lumens does the mag AA led put out? just wondering with something to gauge with.
thanks again

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot go wrong with a Surefire .... picking the right one is down to
personal preference eg ... brightest Vs runtime, beam characteristics, etc

Another manufacturer you should look at is Novatac ... yes, they are made in the US :)

toolpig1

Enlightened
You've been given some good advice, but don't forget to look at the Inova line-up. I know they get criticized for not having the latest emitters, but man are those lights well built. I'm talking about the X and T series, particularly the "MP" (military and police) versions. I have an XO (newest version), several XO3 (original version), and a pair of T4's (original version). Most of my personal Inova lights have the earlier TIROS optic, nowadays, they're equipped with a more traditional reflector. When you mention knocking these things around at work, the occasional splash, surviving a drop... I can't think of a light that has proven itself better for that kind of abuse. Check out the whole line:
http://www.inovalight.com/home.html

Roger999

Enlightened
awesome response so quickly
a couple quick questions
i was reading on another forum about the plumber's flashlight, and 100 lumens would be way to much in most of the tight spaces that i usually look into, but conversely the E2L may not have enough at low setting of 3, and its 60 lumens is only half of the high setting of the L2. I'm gonna want more than map reading illumination on low, but don't wanna get blinded by a single setting of say 60 or 80 lumens, reflecting off on metallic corners and what not.
Was considering a Fenix, but not made in USA
Is surefire the only co. that makes em here? except for Mag???
Does the L2 have the older led without the regulation that the newer one's have...ie longer run times?
lastly, how many lumens does the mag AA led put out? just wondering with something to gauge with.
thanks again
A 2AA minimag puts out about 15lumens.

mdocod

Flashaholic
A 2AA minimag puts out about 15lumens.

I think he is asking about the minimag LED version, which IIRC correctly pushes a LuxIII to around 2-2.5W on fresh batteries.. However, it does not run with perfectly regulated output, it starts off at almost ~40 lumens, but will steadily diminish in output to ~15 lumen over the course of ~3.5 hours. The average output is something like 27 lumen.

-------------------

Social8080,

Welcome to CPF!

My step-dad is a pool man! I've worked with him on and off as a side job for years... Crawling around in cramped equipment rooms and moving spas is tough work. He beats up lights all the time. (every tool is potentially a hammer at some point when you are cramped under a built-in spa trying to fix something)... fun stuff... lol...

I was going to say, try not to fret too much about lumen ratings, the difference between 60 and 100 lumens is barely noticeable in use, the beam profile tends to play a more significant role in usefulness within a range of output than the amount of lumens. A flashlight designed with a more conservative output using a modern emitter will offer really impressive runtime. As has been mentioned already, the L2 is a little old on the tech side of things and I would personally pass on that light until surefire updates it, or just skip to a different offering...

Having said that, the recommendation I'm going to make here isn't really leaning in the direction of more conservative output, in fact, it's been measured at a true 220+ torch lumens

IMO, if you like the length of a 2AA mini-mag LED, then you should be perfectly comfortable with a SureFire 9P size light, (they are similar in length).. The 9P size is pretty good for the type of work you will be doing, and the "C" compatible SF lights have a lot of potential for upgrades and modifications if you ever desire to do so...

I believe that you would certainly appreciate a light who's beam pattern is a little more flood oriented, with that in mind, along with the desire to stay with US made stuff, you might consider a SureFire 9P (buy the regular incan version), then drop in a MalkOff M60F (or M60WF {warm tint}) LED module. The LED module is made here in the US also, and is regarded very highly here at CPF. The resulting combo will make the mini-mag LED look pathetic :)

You might also consider building a 9P out of various parts in order to optimize around a rechargeable li-ion setup, if you are interested in learning more about this, say so in this thread, I'll try to check back and fill in some blanks and get you off in the right direction for that....

carrot

Flashaholic
You could try looking for an older, first-generation Cree Surefire E2L. They are labeled KX2 and it is a single-level light. 45 lumens OTF for over nine hours, making it perfect for most uses. It is not extremely bright but "bright enough" to be highly versatile. Pretty underrated but a favorite of mine.

Besides Surefire, you may wish to check out Novatac, Ra Lights, Inova, and Peak LED lights.

mdocod

Flashaholic
You could try looking for an older, first-generation Cree Surefire E2L. They are labeled KX2 and it is a single-level light. 45 lumens OTF for over nine hours, making it perfect for most uses. It is not extremely bright but "bright enough" to be highly versatile. Pretty underrated but a favorite of mine.

Besides Surefire, you may wish to check out Novatac, Ra Lights, Inova, and Peak LED lights.

Why did they stop making that one? It was one of the only single-mode torches made that had a conservative output and long runtime. It would be so perfect for so many applications.

socal8080

Newly Enlightened
wow, you guys are all over it. Pretty impressive to say the least!!! I'll be looking for what you suggested mdocod, and look for the one you suggested also Carrot. Thanks for having a newb's back. STOKED!!
I'll be searching the sell or mayabe i'll post up in the wanted section for those items...seems like the 9p is somewhat common, don't know about the Cree surefire that carrot mentioned. Thanks again!!

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, if you like the length of a 2AA mini-mag LED, then you should be perfectly comfortable with a SureFire 9P size light, (they are similar in length).. The 9P size is pretty good for the type of work you will be doing, and the "C" compatible SF lights have a lot of potential for upgrades and modifications if you ever desire to do so...

I believe that you would certainly appreciate a light who's beam pattern is a little more flood oriented, with that in mind, along with the desire to stay with US made stuff, you might consider a SureFire 9P (buy the regular incan version), then drop in a MalkOff M60F (or M60WF {warm tint}) LED module. The LED module is made here in the US also, and is regarded very highly here at CPF. The resulting combo will make the mini-mag LED look pathetic :)

You might also consider building a 9P out of various parts in order to optimize around a rechargeable li-ion setup, if you are interested in learning more about this, say so in this thread, I'll try to check back and fill in some blanks and get you off in the right direction for that....
+ 1 on the above - It might seem a bit of a muck around buying the 6p or 9p incan and then going somewhere else (Malkoff) for the emitter but this suggestion will result in a simply awesome combination that cannot be found elsewhere as a standard company offering. Malkoff has around 12 different types of emitter for the 6p/9p hosts which allows you to choose the exact emitter you need. Ask around here for suggestions of which emitter to go for but the new warm versions are very popular.

James...

socal8080

Newly Enlightened
alright, i'm sold on the 9P with the Malkof M60 WF, now i just have to watch on the sell side forum....
thanks so much ya'll
think i might be better off posting for one specifically like that on the marketplace forum? I"m cool with one thats used....
thanks in advance for your input

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
alright, i'm sold on the 9P with the Malkof M60 WF, now i just have to watch on the sell side forum....
thanks so much ya'll
think i might be better off posting for one specifically like that on the marketplace forum? I"m cool with one thats used....
If you go for a 6P, then you can use 3.7v RCR123 rechargables and not go over 9volts + you cut down on the weight - the Malkoff brass M60's do add to the weight somewhat. The warm tint M60's have only just been released but you may get lucky with the MarketPlace.

Good luck with it.

James...

mdocod

Flashaholic
thanks so much ya'll

Excellent choice, you will be blown away if you haven't experienced one of these new modern emitters driven hard.

Eric