Home Depot Husky 3watt Tactical Light...

boss429

Newly Enlightened
Here's some pics. It seems like you could modify the emitter unlike the 4watt 2D model. I bought one when I bought the 4watt tactical light. It has a more diffused beam than the 2D model. I didn't try to unscrew the switch/clip ring-yet.
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1yioa/id1.html

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics. I saw this thing at Home Depot and thought about buying it, but didn't because it lacked a lanyard hole.
How does the beam look?

boss429

Newly Enlightened
There is a slot in the belt clip for a lanyard or you could drill one in the clip near the bottom.
My 4watt has a very distinct spot beam(3-4' at ~50') with a very large dim secondary area whereas the 3watt has about a ~6' spot at 50' with a much smaller secondary area.
(IMHO-The 3watt is a lot more than my TK10 on low but about 20-30%less than the TK10 on high.)
HD had a lot of different LED lights for cheap on sale this weekend but the 3 watt and 4 watt weren't included.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
The Local Home Depot (in Encinitas, CA) hasn't stocked this item as of yet. One of their salesmen said they'd be getting several new models after the 1st of the year. If and when they do . . . . . :D

-Clive

boss429

Newly Enlightened
The Local Home Depot (in Encinitas, CA) hasn't stocked this item as of yet. One of their salesmen said they'd be getting several new models after the 1st of the year. If and when they do . . . . . :D

-Clive
There was only one on the hook at my HD.

Khabbi

Newly Enlightened
Picked one of these up at HD for $24.99, and I must say I am impressed with it!! It does live up to all the hype, and for the price I don't think it can be beat.

I'm glad I read this forum before I bought one, I did check a couple of them out and one out of the two on the shelf was off-centered pretty bad. The one I bought appears to be dead center though.

As far as looks, it reminds me of a Darth Sith Light Saber or something :laughing: While not the best looking light, I can honestly say the looks of it don't bother me.

And like many here, I'm going back to buy a second one to carry in my car....

img0514gb5.jpg

Last edited:

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Khabbi -- Thanks a lot for posting the photo of your new HD Husky 3-Watt Tactical Light. Very nicely done, Sir. It's quite apparent why it bears the "Husky" label! Now I know what to look for . . . :thumbsup:

-Clive

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Local Home Depot (in Encinitas, CA) hasn't stocked this item as of yet.
That's funny. The HD in Vista (on S. Melrose) had a rack of the 3W lights this evening, and one of the 4W. Unfortunately the 4W had a horribly off-centered emitter like many are reported to have, and the 3W only seem to have a Lux III in them. I can't see how they would be any improvement over the hundreds of 2AA size 80 lumen Lux III lights out there, except longer run time? (But all the 3W lights had nicely centered emitters :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked one of these up at HD for $24.99, and I must say I am impressed with it!!
That pic looks like a Husky 4 watt? The 3 watt lights are all black. Also the 4 watt lights are 29.99 in my local store whereas the 3 watt lights are 24.99. If you truly got a 4 watt light for 24.99 it seems like you got a bargain.

The 4 watt lights have a Cree (says on the package), but the 3 watt lights have a Lux III.

The other difference between the 3 watt and the 4 watt lights is the 3 watt has high/med/low variable settings while the 4 watt just seems to have a single high brightness setting.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK...are we talking about a 3AAA model rather than the 2D models?

Now I'm not sure if I saw any of those, but I might have ignored them since a 3AAA power source is really wimpy for a 3W light (even though I feel sure it is not actually being driven at 3W...)

AA6TZ

Enlightened
That's funny. The HD in Vista (on S. Melrose) had a rack of the 3W lights this evening, and one of the 4W. Unfortunately the 4W had a horribly off-centered emitter like many are reported to have, and the 3W only seem to have a Lux III in them. I can't see how they would be any improvement over the hundreds of 2AA size 80 lumen Lux III lights out there, except longer run time? (But all the 3W lights had nicely centered emitters :rolleyes: )

Mr. Happy - The Encinitas Home Depot's flashlight section is typically laden with "Out of Stock" hang-tags affixed to their respective barren racks. Every time I'm at the HD I make it a point to check-out the flashlight section for new/added models . . . and have never once observed anything remotely resembling the item in Khabbi's photograph. Perhaps I need glasses..:thinking:..? In any case, I'll keep checking.

Thanks a lot for telling me the good news about the Vista Home Depot's ample supply of 3-Watt (and one 4-Watt) lights. Guess it's time to ease on down to Vista . . . :twothumbs

-Clive

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for telling me the good news about the Vista Home Depot's ample supply of 3-Watt (and one 4-Watt) lights. Guess it's time to ease on down to Vista . . .
I'll just confirm though that the 3-watt lights are 2D size all black lights with Luxeon emitters. I don't think I've seem them reviewed anywhere, but they also do not seem to be exceptional lights compared to the 4-watt Cree.

boss429

Newly Enlightened
I'll just confirm though that the 3-watt lights are 2D size all black lights with Luxeon emitters. I don't think I've seem them reviewed anywhere, but they also do not seem to be exceptional lights compared to the 4-watt Cree.

No, the three watt isn't all black and it uses 3AAA's. scroll down past the pics of the 4watt 4-5 down to see the 3 watt.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the three watt isn't all black and it uses 3AAA's. scroll down past the pics of the 4watt 4-5 down to see the 3 watt.
Oh...that is a 3AAA light. It really wasn't clear from this thread or that link.

I don't think I saw that in the HD near me. The HD near me did have a rack of 3W lights, but they were all-black 2D lights with Luxeon emitters.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Thank you Mr. Happy and boss429 for the clarification(s). After looking at the image of Home Depot's 3-Watt_Cree Tactical Flashlight on boss429's Web page, there's no doubt that I haven't seen one at the Encinitas HD. With any luck and perhaps a little coaxing, both the 3- and 4-Watt versions may appear on their shelves after January 1st.

-Clive

P.S.: boss429 -- I would definitely visit HD more often if they carried these in stock! :D

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
I went to a party Sat night to watch the OU vs OSU football game and when I was leaving one of the kids accidentally let the little dog out and it ran and disappeared into the woods. I had my Husky Tactical 2D 4W in my truck door pocket and drove down the street looking for the dog, shinning the light out both windows. Several people from the party were scattered out looking and I could shine the beam in their direction and illuminate their whole area(I was the only one with a flashlight). The spill was very useful for searching the woods and the throw was more than needed even at 150 yards. I finally shined it in front of a couple of searchers and the dogs eyes reflected in the thick woods. The hosts spent a lot of time and money on the party so I was glad to be able to help them quickly get their pooch back and they were able to get back to their guests.

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
I have never seen the 3 watt at our Home Depot. I do have the 4 watt.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
I went to a party Sat night to watch the OU vs OSU football game and when I was leaving one of the kids accidentally let the little dog out and it ran and disappeared into the woods. I had my Husky Tactical 2D 4W in my truck door pocket and drove down the street looking for the dog, shinning the light out both windows. Several people from the party were scattered out looking and I could shine the beam in their direction and illuminate their whole area(I was the only one with a flashlight). The spill was very useful for searching the woods and the throw was more than needed even at 150 yards. I finally shined it in front of a couple of searchers and the dogs eyes reflected in the thick woods. The hosts spent a lot of time and money on the party so I was glad to be able to help them quickly get their pooch back and they were able to get back to their guests.

farmer17 -- Another outsanding example of but one of the countless utilitarian applications of our beloved LED torches!!! And, it goes without saying, serves as a green light to the good folks at CPF to go out and buy more and brighter lights, dontchaknow! :twothumbs

-Clive

evilr00t

Newly Enlightened
The 3W Luxeon Rebel husky is at my home depot in Raleigh, NC. It's $21 before tax.

It has a SMO reflector and three modes, and doesn't look super ugly. Shall I pick one up?

Latest posts