Review - Wolf-Eyes M90 P7 Rattlesnake, compared to Sniper P7 and L2DQ5, beamshots!

mickielli15

Newly Enlightened
Hallo to all! I promised to make review of Wolf-Eyes RATTLESNAKE P7 and SNIPER P7 to compare them. Better to say, review for P7 Rattlesnake with comparsion to Sniper P7 and Fenix L2D Q5. Ok, I was for long time out of home, and I had a lot of work. That's a reason I am tooo late with that. But, after all, I got it and I hope it will be helpful for someone, although it's my first review and my english is not perfect. And, I have NO tools for measurement, so lux-readings and so I am not able to make. So - runtime of Sniper I am not able to do, because I had to give it to my friend, runtime of Rattlesnake I will do soon. Sorry for that.

So, c'mon!!!

First I want to say, that I bought it on Liotec, which is pretty good store, with great service and comunication. JohnB, thanks a lot again for your patience with me.

And now let's run to testing :)

Specifications from WE website:

SNIPER: (162USD without batteries and charger)
2ynqaef.jpg

Brightness:580Lumens (full brightness stage)
Runtime: full brightness stage:1 hour with regulated output ; 2 hours with unregulated output.
Body:Aerospace grade aluminum construction.
Reflector:High temperature processed, layers of alloy coating films.
Finish: Low temperature (-20?) hard - anodized (HA) finish treatment.
Lamp: SSC P7 LED Lamp Assembly 3.7-6.0V
Switch: Rapid switch between Morse-on and lock-on with over 50,000 times life cycle.
O-ring sealed: Splash proof.
Beam: flood beam with good combination of throw
Weight without battery: 185g
Length: 150mm
Body diameter: 25.4mm
Head diameter: 47mm
Operation Temperature: -25?-60?
Color: Tactical black
Package: gift box

RATTLESNAKE: (199USD without batteries and charger)
2ppisyt.jpg

Brightness:640Lumens (full brightness stage)
Runtime: full brightness stage: about 95 minutes with regulated output
Body:Aerospace grade aluminum construction.
Reflector: High temperature processed, layers of alloy coating films.
Finish: HA III Military grade
Lamp: SSC P7 LED Lamp Assembly 6.0-13.0V.
Switch: Rapid switch between Morse-on and lock-on with over 50,000 times life cycle.
O-ring sealed:Splash proof
Beam: flood beam with good combination of throw
Weight without battery: 330g
Length: 235mm
Body diameter: 25.4mm
Head diameter: 59.4mm
Operation Temperature: -25?-60?
Color: Tactical black
Package: gift box

Sniper and Rattlesnake comes in nice case, it's possible to say - gift box. Even at first touch, you can intuit very good built. O-rings sealed well, threats are fine and quite robust:
118ogt0.jpg

Lot of people said here on CPF, that Wolf-Eyes are built like tank. I have to say - yes, that's right. What was for me little surprise? Difference of size between them by eyes. I was thinking that Rattler is a little smaller and Sniper little bigger :) see:
25u5w88.jpg

14l38yv.jpg

v6p547.jpg

2u9qtl1.jpg

That means +1 for SNIPER, because amount of flood for it's size is simply amazing. Yes, I bought Sniper for my friend and Rattler for me, but now I am finding way to force him to make a trade :).

Ok, I have not Sniper allready, I had to give it to my friend. That's the reason, why I will NOT have any more comparsion beamshots of Sniper, except those in this review.

One thing about Sniper - the anodizing. It was only one thing, which was bad surprise for me. Anodizing. I have case for video-camera. In that case I usually carrying flashlights, key pouch , breath-analyzer, mobile phone, and other sharp stuff :). In that camera-case I had Sniper for four days. After that, on Sniper's body started to appear some scratches:
o5ylg4.jpg

bhjfcw.jpg

..and another scratches on the end of bezel... ...I am asking WHY on flashlight for 160USD? My Fenix L2D is much better anodized. So, it looks like Sniper (Rattlesnake is better in that) anodizing is not as perfect hard as on Fenix lights. But, it is not too bad, only I was looking forward to perfect hard exterior. In this discipline is Fenix better, no doubt.

It was only one bad about Sniper, now only one bad about Rattlesnake.
LED is not well-centered.
I can not see any wrong on beam, but again - flashlight for 200USD with this: ???
a5kh9j.jpg

What is on both lights amazing, is the power. So floody light with usefull beam and around 600 lumen, it is really amazing. I do not prefer throwers (but also planning to buy one), so Sniper or Rattlesnake is good choice for me and for everybody, who need big amout of light around themselves. It easily light up large area around you. Sniper is for me more appealing, because it produce similar beam, similar flood, similar amount of light compared to Rattlesnake, but only on ONE 18650, which is really fantastic. In case I would buy them again, I would buy Sniper, not Rattlesnake. The reason is clear - very similar, but with 15cm long is Sniper "pocket dark killer". The throw is not impressive, but for normal use is it's throw adequate, because it "throws flood" ;) on mid-distance.

So, now what we like most, BEAMSHOTS!

...three heroes: (sorry for missing L2DQ5 beamshot on 40 meters - updated - this beamshot added allready)
1zxuoas.jpg

Beamshots:
21ce042.jpg

ic5myq.jpg

1znn7dt.jpg
2s77tqd.jpg

atvo1u.jpg
2i774zr.jpg
1zvbfwk.jpg
307q5cm.jpg

33yl6pi.jpg
25jhves.jpg
28mk9w0.jpg
25f2hjq.jpg

And now 80 meters (262 feet):

FENIX L2D:
2006a1u.jpg

Sniper P7:
90zqyw.jpg

...and Rattlesnake P7:
2hnni0z.jpg

...as you can see, there is not dramatic difference between Sniper and Rattler, I know, somebody wrote here on CPF, that Rattler throws significantly more, but I have to say - only LITTLE. Of course, in both flashlights were fresh AW 18650 batteries! +1 for Sniper, because the distance, which is useful to see something, is on my eyes quite SAME, does not matter, if you use Sniper or Rattler. So - only little difference, in that case I like Sniper more, because it does allmost same job with it's small size. AMAZING!

Both flashlights have tailcap with quite easilly pushable switch. The ON-OFF click sound is quite silent. What is a little surprise is fact, that Sniper have very good heat-management. I had it ON for 20 minutes and it was warm, but not hot, it was possible to hold it in hand without any problems. Rattlesnake appears to do the same. Because of it's longer body, it is even less warm, down to tailcap cooler and cooler.

So, result is - both flashlights are really amazing, the power, built, but I am looking forward to see Wolf-Eyes to improove anodizing and better centered LEDs. After that, it would be really fantastic. And - if you are thinking to buy one of them, I recommend SNIPER. Only for people, who wants longer runtime, worth Rattlesnake the money, because Rattlesnake's throw is not as better than Sniper as I supposed.

Have a nice day all! :wave:

Last edited:

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
One things about Sniper - the anodizing. It was only one thing, which was bad surprise for me. Anodizing. I have case for video-camera. In that case I usually carrying flashlights, key pouch , breath-analyzer, mobile phone, and other sharp stuff . In that camera-case I had Sniper for four days. After that, on Sniper's body started to appear some scratches:

.and another scratches on the end of bezel... ...I am asking WHY on flashlight for 160USD?
Simple answer: your Sniper´s tailcap is "original" version which is not type-III. Newer P7 Sniper has different tailcap along with type-III finishing, see here.

Don´t know about your bezel but as far as i know even type-III is weakest on sharp edges..
Or did you actually meant tailcap as your pictures shows scratches on tailcap.

Anyway, thank you for your review.
I am very close to pulling the trigger for new MC-E version of Sniper..

EDIT: I checked liotec website, their P7 Snipers are not type-III anodized but Rattlesnakes are type-III.
So they are selling older Sniper bodies and/or tailcaps with new P7 head.

This maybe not so good for people who wants to get type-III finishing...like i do.

Sorry for editing my post many times..:eek:

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome lights! iI love Wolf-Eyes, their quality is fantanstic and the price is great.

Thanks for sharing, this is a great review.

Cheers.

mickielli15

Newly Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Thanks for sharing, this is a great review.
Thank you, it's a pleasure to do something helpful, although I am quite beginner without measurement tools and so... :)

Jauno said:
Or did you actually meant tailcap as your pictures shows scratches on tailcap.

I just forgot to make detailed picture of scratches on bezel, but it is possible to see at one of pictures in review, namely on this: (on upper side of bezel - it is not reflection of light, there are serious scratches).
14l38yv.jpg

...so I thing, if the bezel of Sniper is HA-III, it is allmost the same sensitivity as tailcap, which is not good.... what is interesting, that Rattler's bezel is more scratches-proof. Fenix is even better anodized than Rattler for sure.
But anyway, I would buy Wolf-Eyes again, again and again :thumbsup:

Last edited:

black bolt

Newly Enlightened
+1 on buying "Wolf-eyes over and over again", that's why I bought two P7 Snipers.:thumbsup: My P7 Snipers has felt that it's being neglected lately :( ,due to I've been spending more time with the "Super Storm". Too many flashlights not enough hands.:sigh:

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
...so I thing, if the bezel of Sniper is HA-III, it is allmost the same sensitivity as tailcap, which is not good....

I see. As i said, it seems that even type-III HA is weakest on sharp edges like seen on picture of bezel. My SF E1B (also type-III) has also some wearing on sharp edges but i havent´t seen any major wearing in Fenix:s which don´t have as sharp edges.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics, i know how long this type of thing can take. I still haven't been convinced on the P7 yet, but they certainly are impressive. The Bezel of the Rattlesnake looks quite a bit larger than the Sniper, although I like the look of the Sniper better.

Anyway, thank you for your review.
I am very close to pulling the trigger for new MC-E version of Sniper..
Can you post a link to this light? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

Last edited:

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pics, i know how long this type of thing can take. I still haven't been convinced on the P7 yet, but they certainly are impressive. The Bezel of the Rattlesnake looks quite a bit larger than the Sniper, although I like the look of the Sniper better.

Can you post a link to this light? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

What on earth you have been doing lately if you haven´t heard this :D

Kalle

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting review!
Could you do me a giant favour and make 1 or 2 pictures comparing the P7 with a Tiablo A9, Edgetac Raidfire Spear or Dereelight DBS on a longer distance(100meters)?
Or are there somewhere comparison-beamshots with this flashlights?

Kalle

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshot comparison. The anodization is rather disappointing on such an expensive light. :thumbsdow:mad:

mickielli15

Newly Enlightened
Kalle said:
Could you do me a giant favour and make 1 or 2 pictures comparing the P7 with a Tiablo A9, Edgetac Raidfire Spear or Dereelight DBS on a longer distance(100meters)?
Or are there somewhere comparison-beamshots with this flashlights?

Hallo Kalle, I posted some comparsion beamshots of Sniper P7 and Tiablo A9 on our Czech forum, those pictures are taken from messerforum.net, from user Dirkus - thanks Dirkus!!! Click following link and scroll down to my post #50. Link: http://forum.fotonmag.cz/index.php?showtopic=180&st=40
... but, longest distance there is cca 50 meters...
EDIT !!! - now I see that you are from Germany, so direct link to messer forum in your language (greetings to my neighbouring country:wave:):
http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=61545&highlight=sniper

evenchaos said:
The anodization is rather disappointing on such an expensive light.
yes, how Jauno said, that type-III anodization is a bit sensitive on sharp edges, but although I am little surprised. :duh2:

black bolt said:
Too many flashlights not enough hands.
yes, you are right !!! :thumbsup::D

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was seriously leaning toward the M90, but after seeing these beamshots, the extra size and weight doesn't seem to be beneficial to anything other than runtime.

Thanks for the review!

Kalle

Newly Enlightened
Can the P7 also be fired with normal protected 18650 batteries?

I can´t decide between Dereelight DBS V2 3SD, Tiablo A9 and Wolf-Eyes P7....:mecry:....it´s so hard! Please help! :candle:

mickielli15

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn said:
Well, I was seriously leaning toward the M90, but after seeing these beamshots, the extra size and weight doesn't seem to be beneficial to anything other than runtime.

Yes, it seems to be like that... Even very kind Tina Song from Wolf-Eyes said me, that Rattler throws significantly more, even user 276 said the same, I have to say, when I had both flashlights in hand and switching ON and OFF again and again on various places, I saw really only small difference. The difference, which is not enough for me to spend more money and have quite big flashlight, I like more Sniper , which do excellent, similar, and comparable job with really small size and ONE 18650. It was little surprise for me, I tried to charge AW's again to be sure, ok, there is little difference, but for me not enough to prefer Rattlesnake. But, I thing, Rattler is amazing also, but Sniper rocks. Anyway, I hope, that my Rattler will not read this post :laughing:, because I love him and I am of course very glad to have such a great flashlight!!!

Kalle said:
I can´t decide between Dereelight DBS V2 3SD, Tiablo A9 and Wolf-Eyes P7....:mecry:....it´s so hard! Please help!

Ok, I do not know your preferences. If you plan to have possibilities to see anything which is 200 meters far, buy thrower. But if you will use your flashlight for multi-purposes, I can recommend Sniper P7 for SURE, because with Sniper P7 on 100 meters distance you are quite well informed what happen around you , but not only about one point 100 meters far, but about whole field, which is great advantage of Sniper. How I said, on mid-distance Sniper THROWS FLOOD. Of course, throwers like Tiablo or Spear or DBS easily out-throws Sniper, but give yourself question, how often you will need so pure thrower with extra tight hotspot... I would buy Sniper. But, the true is, that I am planning to buy some thrower in future too, but I am sure I will not use it as often as my P7, because it is pretty more useful.

Kalle

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I do not know your preferences. If you plan to have possibilities to see anything which is 200 meters far, buy thrower. But if you will use your flashlight for multi-purposes, I can recommend Sniper P7 for SURE, because with Sniper P7 on 100 meters distance you are quite well informed what happen around you , but not only about one point 100 meters far, but about whole field, which is great advantage of Sniper. How I said, on mid-distance Sniper THROWS FLOOD. Of course, throwers like Tiablo or Spear or DBS easily out-throws Sniper, but give yourself question, how often you will need so pure thrower with extra tight hotspot... I would buy Sniper. But, the true is, that I am planning to buy some thrower in future too, but I am sure I will not use it as often as my P7, because it is pretty more useful.

I think you are right for sure. On the other hand its really great if you can really light something 100-200 meters away....

Normally I should buy two flashlights...;)

Can the P7 Wolf-Eyes used with normal 18650 batteries?

Latest posts