Surge Vs. Tec 40

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

i'm looking for a light to keep in the truck, it will also be used on night fishing trips.

i kind of want the surge for the brightness, but i don't want something that will mess with my night vision too much while fishing. i'm a little concerned about the extra weight too.

i've heard the tec 40 compared to the e2, that seems pretty bright. what would you compare the surge too, as far as brightness?

comments/suggestions welcome.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

also, do any big retailers carry them? like bass pro, academy or the sports authority? so i could pick it up locally, trying to have it by sat.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For princeton tec lights try REI There is one off of 635 in Dallas near The Galleria and Valley view malls. They have most of all of the small PT lights on the rack, pt 40 attitude, impact etc etc but not the surge. I would say from what i have heard that a stock pt 40 is about 50 lumen or so and that a surge is 90 or so... That is just what i have understood as i do not own either light. Personally a Brinkmann LX on a broad focus would be nice for the night vision if your wallet can handle the LI batteries.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i like the look of the tec40, the brinkmann is an alternative though.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Surge, Tec 40, and the Brinkman LX. I prefer the LX, but the batteries cost more. The Surge's size bothers me, and while keeping it in my glove box, I've had it switch on accidentally and drain the batteries. This kills it for me as a car/truck light.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux:

The Surge switch is a little tricky:

hard off
detente click
soft off
slides easily to
soft on
detente click
hard on.

I have to learn to discipline myself to make sure I leave the light in hard off rather than soft off.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by tom poe:
i kind of want the surge for the brightness, but i don't want something that will mess with my night vision too much while fishing. i'm a little concerned about the extra weight too.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Tom,

Your particular needs for both a bright light for your truck and a somewhat less bright light for fishing mandates either two separate lights or, as Bushman suggests, a focusing light that can go from tight and bright, to diffuse. I would also suggest the Scorpion which can focus smoothly like the LX and is just about as bright but is smaller and lighter.

Many flashaholics, especially the LEO's and emergency folks believe strongly in redundancy, or back-up lights for their illumination needs. Frankly, I believe that is one of the most important principles, not just for flashlights but for many other areas of daily function. Why not keep a surge, SL6, Magcharger, Ultrastinger or any other bigger, powerful light in your truck and have a separate light for fishing?

You could do a lot worse than having two Surges, as long as you don't mind using and carrying all those batteries. (Eight AA's for the Surge plus eight more for changing=16 batteries) Also, field-changing batteries in the Surge is less convenient than other lights. Aside from these quibbles the Surge is a superior light. Fully loaded the Surge weighs 11.6oz. In terma of Lumens per ounce and factoring in run time and price the Surge is really hard to beat.

Once again it all come down to what you want (need) in a light. The more specifically you state your needs the easier it is for us to help you find the right light(s).

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I would go with a Surge and an Attitude. Both waterproof, both cheap to feed, and do their different jobs very well.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The things I don't like about the Surge is the fact that the batteries have to go in a "carrier" inside the body, and the switch is awkward. Go with the Tec40 - available at Outdoor World (Bass Pro) or ****'s. The batteries are easy to install - just put 2 in one way, the other 2 the other way, and that's it. Twist the head of the light for on/off. Yes the Surge is brighter, but it's a pain in the butt in my book.

For fishing at night, get an LED light like the Attitude or the Opalec for close work.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info guys. i'm going with the tec 40. it's cheap, lightweight and should provide enough light without being overpowering, what i need for night fishing. it can also double as a back up to my sl20 in a pinch.

i thought about an led but i don't like the bluish tint.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought about an led but i don't like the bluish tint.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Don't be too quick to write off LEDs. The PT Attitude is a fantastic light with a nice even beam. Not too blue. I think you'll like it.