Novatac EDC Ultimate 60 ??? WhatTheHeck?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stumbled across this when looking around for the possiblity of getting another NT to reprogram with LLCoolBeans' nice hidden programming find. I've seen all sorts of new Novatac models showing up at yourcornerstore that seem to be cut down versions of the original in features and such -- like the Storm, Classic (using AA's) and so on but now just today I see they are offering up a 60 Lumen model they are calling the EDC Ultimate 60. That seems like a ripoff of Henry's original HDS EDC series in which HDS had an EDC Ultimate 60. It is not the same light by a long way - in fact it just has 4 modes (unless this one is also reprogrammable) but that just seems wrong to be taking the exact model name. Of course I don't know exactly how things were left legally between the HDS and Novatac but it just does not seem right for them to do that. Now we'll end up having the Ultimate 60 EDC lights from two different companies that both are similar. How confusing is that going to get? These are not available for sale yet and apparently won't be for another couple months but just for ease in taking a look at what I'm talking about here's a Link

Last edited:

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
I seen the same thing today. I went as far as checkout, then backed out. I too would like to no more about this "Novatac EDC Ultimate 60".

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really interested in any of the cheap cutdown models Novatac seems to be cranking out lately but my guess is that unless they hired a new engineer that this is the same driver as the 120 uses but they are just slapping in some Luxeon III's instead of Cree LED's. Otherwise why would they only have 30 minutes of runtime at 60 Lumens? A current Cree LED could do probably do 60 to 120 minutes at 60 Lumens. This is not an effecient light at all - just a cheaper light compared to their 120's. If fact for about the same price you can get a 4 level Dereelight C2H that can do about 200 Lumens on high and get you 2 reflectors (flood or throw) and a lot better runtime per lumen output.

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if it's just the marine lights that Novatac is just clearing out.
That is my guess. I think the military went with the 120 edc. YCS my have gotten the deal to sell the lights to the public.....

streetmaster

Enlightened
It's strange that BatteryStation is suddenly selling HDS EDC Ultimate 60's and then at nearly the same time YourCornerStore is selling NovaTac EDC Ultimate 60's. So, who is selling what??? And of course there's a huge price difference, $145 at BatteryStation and $69.45 at YCS. Well I sent YCS an email. I hope to have some information on these soon.

Question: were these made by HDS and NovaTac?

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
As I recall, NovaTac made some EDC U60s for the marines before the release of their slightly reworked version of the EDC, but I'm not sure exactly how similar it is to the previous and successive lights. Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of this part of the history will come along, such as Hogokansatsukan.

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
It's strange that BatteryStation is suddenly selling HDS EDC Ultimate 60's and then at nearly the same time YourCornerStore is selling NovaTac EDC Ultimate 60's. So, who is selling what??? And of course there's a huge price difference, $145 at BatteryStation and $69.45 at YCS. Well I sent YCS an email. I hope to have some information on these soon.

This pic would lead to them being made by Novatac.

EDCpackage.jpg

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcap in the photo looks more like the Novatac tail than the HDS knurled tail.

Is anyone considering buying these? I am tempted, but if they come with a Lux 3 as the specs would indicate, then I don't really see the point. I don't want to have to send it off to get it modded and spend money on that.

streetmaster

Enlightened
The tailcap in the photo looks more like the Novatac tail than the HDS knurled tail.

Is anyone considering buying these? I am tempted, but if they come with a Lux 3 as the specs would indicate, then I don't really see the point. I don't want to have to send it off to get it modded and spend money on that.

I'm considering buying the one from YourCornerStore because it's only 70 bucks. BUT, I really need to know exactly what it is first. I really prefer the SSC P4 over any Luxeon emitter.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if you guys want the flickery Novatac electronics with a Lux 3 in a Prototype Novatac body with HDS EDC style serial engraving then this is the light to get.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this U60 is built like the original HDS (clip design, etc) I am definitely in!
I've wanted to replace my u60 for a while. I have a XR42GT HDS and Novatac 120P, yet I still would like an HDS u60. I wonder if some of the modders here could do a P7 upgarde. I am VERY tempted to make this unexpected $70 purchase.:broke:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this U60 is built like the original HDS (clip design, etc) I am definitely in!
I've wanted to replace my u60 for a while. I have a XR42GT HDS and Novatac 120P, yet I still would like an HDS u60. I wonder if some of the modders here could do a P7 upgarde. I am VERY tempted to make this unexpected $70 purchase.:broke:

It's not built like a U60 it's more like a 60lm Novatac.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I think you'd be better off to wait for the Novatac Storm to come out as at least it's an SSC P4 most likely and will do 120 Lumens. And at roughly $59 I think that would be the better deal. I'd still wait for reviews on these cheaper models but if the Storm is reprogrammable like the current Novatac's than that will be a deal I'd probably be interested in.