Great light for the little guy!

jkdguy

Newly Enlightened
Are there any of you out there with a little one at home, who wants to be just like his daddy?? My 4-year old wants to dress like me... and have a flashlight to play with just like me! A few times I let him play with my ARC AAA Premium, but I became worried that he might easily leave it somewhere, and I would be out $40 plus shipping.

So, after reading some reviews, I decided to get him a Fenix E01 (olive color), for his own play/EDC use! Sure, the beam is not as nice as the ARC's beam (IMHO... it looks a little purple), but he doesn't care about beam quality, and the light only cost me $12.50!

I explained to him that it is good to have a emergency light with you, just in case the lights go out (It's happened several times to me). My wife even uses it now as a reading light at night. It's a good thing I bought some extra Sanyo Eneloops and a nice charger!

If you decide to get a small light like this, just make sure your little future CPF member is old enough that they won't try to eat the small pieces!

Last edited:

Xanteen

Newly Enlightened
My son is on the same page!

The only difference is that he really likes clickies and has taken to a Surefire E1L. He had that for about 2 days before we had the 'did you leave the flashlight at the supermarket?' conversation...

Since then, he's got a nice little LED promo light I picked up at a trade show booth. It's only momentary, so no wasted batteries and its got a 'biner that he loves to clip to his belt loop. I told him if he can hang on to that for a while then we will move him up to a bigger light.

I'm thinking he'll have a hard time losing an M6 :devil:.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha ha!

My son is also a budding flashaholic. He has a Mag Solitaire and now a Fenix E01--he prefers the Fenix! But I really like the idea of a momentary on... I'll have to look around.

:thumbsup:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son's 17 months old and uses the energizer hard case inspection light (the soft rubber padding on it is good for him)...he even knows how to work the foward clickie...although, when he asks for it, he calls it "Gaar"...:thumbsup:

flashlife

Enlightened
Dollar General sells a 'touch switch' 2AAA LED light for about $5.
It has 2 conductive rubber strips running along the length of it, so it comes on automatically when you pick it up. And, of course, it goes off when you lay it down. Perfect for little kids, who are apt to run down the batteries.

It has a lens in front of a single 5mm LED, but it has some flood and is not a spotlight. My great grand-daughter (age 4) loves it.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
my son is 5 and he is a budding flashaholic.
he's gotten more into it, as I have in the last few months.
needless to say, we 'sizzled' the neighborhood walking around at Halloween.

he's had cheap toy flashlights (disney's 'cars', halloween lights, pen lights) then he moved on to larger D cell grown up flashlights (Rayovac, etc..) and mini-mags (with Nite Ize).
He likes to not only walk around with them, but likes to turn off the lights in his room and play trains on his train table , or cars on their tracks, at "night" with the flashlight as lighting.

I bought him a Garrity Wind Up to not eat up so many batteries (they're normally 13 bucks but they were 80% off at a local CVS one day. there was also a "disposable" garrity for 87 cents).

I bought him a Pentagonlight MOLLE Phantom (glow in the dark) since AA's are easy to find for xmas. Its angled head should work easily lighting the way on his train table or clipped to his pocket in case we go for walks checking out xmas light displays.

but of course, he likes to play with daddy's Surefires and Laser Devices OP6 and OP9 LEDs , likes the neat toggle switches.

my wife laughs that daddy and son have a similar flashlight interest.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
A couple years ago my now 10 year old wanted a good light. He wanted something along the lines of a Lumapower M1-T at the time. Ha! I told him he had to prove that he could take care of a light and not loose it before I would spend $80 on a light for him. I bought him an Ultrafire 1xAA Luxeon 3W light and we modded it together to an SSC P4. He's lost and found it a number of times since then. I gave him my old Energizer NiMh rechargables and charger to use in it.

jkdguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! Along with the Fenix E01 that I bought him, my son also loves playing with my LumaPower LM31. He enjoys clicking it on and waving it around. I plan on moving up to a NiteCore D10 (Q5) as my EDC light one of these days, so may be I will let him keep this light if he proves he can keep it on him. (He was wearing the empty holster to my Inova X5 on his belt yesterday, so hopefully I can teach him to wear the LM31's small holster, and put away the light when he's done playing.… and not leaving it on a shelf in Target!).

Along with his budding interest in flashlights, he also likes to watch the Red Sox and Patriots with me... What a good boy!:thumbsup:

jkdguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi Burgess! I loved the story... That is one light worth hanging on to! The memories it holds for you... Definitely not a light to ever modify!

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
Get him acouple of $5 Dorcy's to play with.

They are aleast half the price and if he loses one you have another one.

Besides they are only 2 lumens and not that bright like 10 lumens a Fenix E01 is.

Just incase he wants to shine it in his eyes.

Last edited:

paintballdad

Enlightened
My 11 yr old son finally noticed some of my flashlights and asked why I have one on me all the time. I told him that I use it for work :) and that it's a good idea to have one just in case. Well, he said that maybe he should have one too.

I initially gave him a brass 5 led Peak Kilimanjaro on Thursday. He was fine with it but today complained that it was a bit heavy in his pocket and wanted one with a switch. I showed him my Inova X1, not really a clickie but a twisty with momentary function. He likes the weight and the fairly good output. He EDC'd this light tonite when we went to a friend's house. I had a smile on my face as he lit up the walkway to the front door. It's a good light to start, and I can see him with a Fenix or maybe a Surefire in the near future.

It's moments like these that make parents like us proud, when our kids show a bit of interest in things that we like and do. :twothumbs

cruisemissile

Enlightened
My 11 yr old son finally noticed some of my flashlights and asked why I have one on me all the time. I told him that I use it for work :) and that it's a good idea to have one just in case. Well, he said that maybe he should have one too.

I initially gave him a brass 5 led Peak Kilimanjaro on Thursday. He was fine with it but today complained that it was a bit heavy in his pocket and wanted one with a switch. I showed him my Inova X1, not really a clickie but a twisty with momentary function. He likes the weight and the fairly good output. He EDC'd this light tonite when we went to a friend's house. I had a smile on my face as he lit up the walkway to the front door. It's a good light to start, and I can see him with a Fenix or maybe a Surefire in the near future.

It's moments like these that make parents like us proud, when our kids show a bit of interest in things that we like and do. :twothumbs

take good care of that X1, your son might be telling a story like BURGESS one day about that light.

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
Got this flashlight when i was 6 years old.

Still have it, too ! Half-a-Century later.

( i am post # 86 in the following thread: )

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/150257

:cool:
_

Got this light when I was a child - it still works. My first flashlight.

Eveready Chrome "Little Jim" Pocket Lite with Green Wand Lens Guard and Boat Switch 1955

flashlightmuseum.com - search for - ev00416

paintballdad

Enlightened
take good care of that X1, your son might be telling a story like BURGESS one day about that light.

Yeah, that light is built for it. I was going buy the HomeDepot 2 for $5 cheapie AA lights but thought that his first one should be something more durable. I'm glad he liked the X1.