Noobie - 1 x CR123 advise ?

Southernlight

Enlightened
Hi, Noobie here, first post. I've been lurking for a few days on this forum and learnt a lot. Thank you all. :wave:

Over the years I have had the usual Maglights and some years back bought a Inova X1 which I still use. I see technolgoy has moved on since. I recently purchased a Fenix LD10 Q5 :D from a local seller and am amazed at how far technology has advanced in the last 10 years, the output is astounding and the max is as much as I need. - can any AU members recommend local sellers?

Although I see the benefits of single AA lights, I'm buying a 1 x CR123 as well (and a AAA). On my shortlist for the CR123 are the Novatac 120E, Nitecore EX10 and/or maybe a Ra clicky. I'd like three output levels and the lowest level to be really low and not affect night vision too much. A strobe would be welcome but not essential, are there any others lights I should consider?

Thank you in advance for any advise.

Tim from AU

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
Mine went wrong BUT the Nitecore Extreme is a really nice light. Very powerfull high a good low and strobe if you need it too.
It also has very good regulation and good run times.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Noobie here, first post. I've been lurking for a few days on this forum and learnt a lot. Thank you all. :wave:

Over the years I have had the usual Maglights and some years back bought a Inova X1 which I still use. I see technolgoy has moved on since. I recently purchased a Fenix LD10 Q5 :D from a local seller and am amazed at how far technology has advanced in the last 10 years, the output is astounding and the max is as much as I need. - can any AU members recommend local sellers?

Although I see the benefits of single AA lights, I'm buying a 1 x CR123 as well (and a AAA). On my shortlist for the CR123 are the Novatac 120E, Nitecore EX10 and/or maybe a Ra clicky. I'd like three output levels and the lowest level to be really low and not affect night vision too much. A strobe would be welcome but not essential, are there any others lights I should consider?

Thank you in advance for any advise.

Tim from AU

Jetbeam Jet II IBS - has 3 programable modes and you never have to see the strobe until you want to see it.

In fact, the entire Jetbeam range with IBS allows you to individually program the modes.

The downside is with their regulation (based on what i have read here) but for my needs, the Jetbeams are just nice.

sappyg

Enlightened
:welcome:

of the lights in your list i would choose the novatac 120e. there is a thread running around here about a cracked easter egg that pretty much makes the 120e 100% programable. besides, the cool factor of a novatac is off the hook.
if price or availability is a concern 2nd my second choice would be the e10. this is a lot of light for the money and i would consider it a best value.
also, you can't overlook the the pd20 but, it will not have the low low of the e10

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
120e or EX10 are good choices. The Fenix P2D or PD20 are also the benchmark for brightness and efficiency.

okbohn

Newly Enlightened
My FAVORITE 1 cell CR123 light is the ITP C9--it has the strobe, 190 lumens. Great runtime.

Southernlight

Enlightened
Thank you so much to all who replied. Many great ideas here. Thanks heaps for the links also, I am eagerly reading through them and I doubt I would have found these pages myself, so thanks again.

Tim

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
you're most welcome, let us know which light u finally get. I got some cheap (to us flashaholics) CR123 lights from Dealextreme and am quite pleased with the Romisen RC-C3 ($13.50 shipped), single mode. Been running for a few weeks already on a partially discharged Energizer (use it off and on when i am bored, to shine at stuff, show off to non-flashaholics etc) and it's pretty darn bright. Shiningbeam has a Q5 version of that light for a bit more.

Also got me an Ultrafire A1 that should be coming in sometime this week, 5 mode light, also around the same price (wish i had seen that first)

Rob187

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, Tim. What part of Australia are you in?

Local Australian dealers who I know and I can recommend are:

Glen - www.wolfeyes.com.au
Luke - www.extremetorches.com.au

I have also bought from www.torchworld.com.au and recommend them.

You won't go wrong with the Ra. I also think the Novatac is a great light but the newer ones may not quite have the quality of the early ones. i'd go with a 120P though - I've got two...

Rob

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You should also consider the LiteFlux LF3xt. It has very recently been getting some good reviews, and costs about the same as the EX10. I recently spent a few weeks agonizing over which to buy, and feel I made the right choice with the LiteFlux. We'll see, maybe today or tomorrow. I'm sure the EX10 is a fine light too, just a bit different.

Welcome to CPF.

Geoff