Is the Fenix L2D CE Q5 good enough.

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
I can get a very good discount on this Fenix that uses AA batteries. I know I can get better with different battery options but at a higher cost. As far as the 180 lumens, will this Fenix throw a spoltlight type beam or will it just light up the entire field at night? Thanks.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
xxD series Fenixes are not throwers. They'll light up entire field.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They tend to not be throwers. They are my most used light indoors or for working on a car, etc. For use outdoors at night I find them to be a little lacking because they can't light up distant objects. They're fine for talking a walk and lighting your way, but if you want to point it at something a hundred feet away and light it up that's not gonna happen. I tend to grab other lights if I'm going outside at night to take a look into the woods or want to light up something that's further away.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Dimensions on the field would be nice so we can give you some more accurate suggestions.

If you're a farmer trying to illuminate a large field you would be better served by an SSC P7 or Cree M-CE based light if you're looking for something you can holster. If you just need a big bright light, look into a Sam's HID or incandescent spotlight. Those can be picked up in the $30-50 range and will throw lots of light really far. Your options for bright throwy light will be severely limited if you are looking to stick with alkaline AA batteries as your power source.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
They tend to not be throwers. They are my most used light indoors or for working on a car, etc. For use outdoors at night I find them to be a little lacking because they can't light up distant objects. They're fine for talking a walk and lighting your way, but if you want to point it at something a hundred feet away and light it up that's not gonna happen. I tend to grab other lights if I'm going outside at night to take a look into the woods or want to light up something that's further away.

100 feet isn't going to happen? Maybe 300+ feet. 100 feet is no problem. As you can see my P2D (Rated 180 lumens like the L2D) easily lights up the garage beyond my backyard, past my minivan, which is about 126 feet away:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most 2 AA and AA lights are medium-floody beamed lights. Presuming you have enough output, it is more light up field light.

The Fenix TK20 and Olight T25 are both decently throwy AA powered lights.

What do you plan on doing with the lights?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 feet isn't going to happen? Maybe 300+ feet. 100 feet is no problem. As you can see my P2D (Rated 180 lumens like the L2D) easily lights up the garage beyond my backyard, past my minivan, which is about 126 feet away:

It's all relative to what you're pointing it at... If you're using it on dark ground or woods 100 feet away like you'd find in a field it isn't going to have enough light. Your white garage is a little different.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all relative to what you're pointing it at... If you're using it on dark ground or woods 100 feet away like you'd find in a field it isn't going to have enough light. Your white garage is a little different.

Unfortunately I don't have a better example, other than the fact that you can see the dark walkway and grass going all the way back to my red garage. 100 feet isn't that far for a light like the L2D, regardless of what you are trying to light up.

"but if you want to point it at something a hundred feet away and light it up that's not gonna happen"

There weren't any specifics in this statement, like trying to light up a black shirt 100 feet away with stadium lighting shining in your face. :)

If I have a L2D, and I'm out in the darkness, and I point it at something 100 feet away, be it a bush, deer, dog, etc, it will light it up.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a geocacher and always use my lights in a dark forst, mainly to light up the way, but also to find reflectors.

I have the L2D CE Q5 and the P2D CE as a backup for that purpose, until now we had our heavy Maglites with us, to enlighten the way, my wife uses the modded MiniMag.

Today, we decided to take the Mag out and to replace it with a TK20. I already have one and just ordered one for my wife. I think these will be good first for the way and second for the reflectors. What's more, they take AA, we always carry about 6 spare AAs rechargeable, will be more now. We also have our L4 in the backpac, if we really need a light of wall, the L2D will stay in also.

I see the pro of the TK20 in the easy UI, the big reflector and the toughness.

Greets,

Henk

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I don't have a better example, other than the fact that you can see the dark walkway and grass going all the way back to my red garage. 100 feet isn't that far for a light like the L2D, regardless of what you are trying to light up.

"but if you want to point it at something a hundred feet away and light it up that's not gonna happen"

There weren't any specifics in this statement, like trying to light up a black shirt 100 feet away with stadium lighting shining in your face. :)

If I have a L2D, and I'm out in the darkness, and I point it at something 100 feet away, be it a bush, deer, dog, etc, it will light it up.
Well perhaps I was too conservative on the distance. I don't exactly run around outside at night with a tape measure, but my point was more that it's not a thrower and there are better throwers for spotlighting something a long ways away. Lets not get too hung up on whether it's 100', 150', or 200'. :p

Edit: I love my L2D's. I think I have 5 or 6 of them.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well perhaps I was too conservative on the distance. I don't exactly run around outside at night with a tape measure, but my point was more that it's not a thrower and there are better throwers for spotlighting something a long ways away. Lets not get too hung up on whether it's 100', 150', or 200'. :p

Big difference between 100 feet and 200 feet. :) 100 feet is about the length of my small back yard, so to say a L2D isn't good at 100 feet, which is a relatively short distance for a 100+ lumen flashlight, is misleading.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
WadeF, I like your picture as it demonstrates how the light is at illuminating different surfaces at varying differences.

As stereodude said, it depends on what tpcollins is trying to illuminate, and how far away it is. Looking forward to his response... :popcorn:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
will this Fenix throw a spoltlight type beam or will it just light up the entire field at night?

The short answer is that the Fenix is not either a super flooder or supper spotlight - sort of in between really.

I quite like my L2D - plenty of light for most purposes. I also have a white & a red diffuser for lantern type duties. It throws OK, but I also have better lights for throwing further. My Olight M20 Premium throws really well - 200 or even 300 feet is no problem for it. My Jetbeam Jet-I Pro can throw OK on full power too, but with noticeably more spill than my Olight.

I think it is kinda hard to know how well a light will work for a particular purpose until you try it out and see if it does it for you or not. Overall I think that the Fenix L2D is a pretty decent light to own with 4 power levels available and a decent light output for its size. Using 2 x AA batteries is pretty useful as they are cheap & plentiful batteries, no problems finding rechargeables and a charger for such a common size.

I say: buy one - you can always buy more lights for specific purposes later, the L2D is a great general purpose light!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2D is a great light, you can't go wrong with this one in your collection. Most "great deals" aren't any better than Fenix-store.com once you take shipping and CPF 8% discount in effect. Both a 1AA tube and CR123 tube are available for a bit extra.

Keep in mind folks that the OP just joined and has 7 posts under his belt. It's quite possible the best light he has ever seen is a Maglight 3D.

FWIW a Maglite 3D puts out about 30 lumens.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Well, I have the same doubt too, and was about to create a topic on the Fenix L2D Q5.

I've just ordered a L2D Q5 and a L1T v2.0, the latter one for EDC purposes. I live in Brazil, and this is the best light I can find around here, besides MagLites. Importing is complicated due to high taxes, and I'm kinda broke now. Surefire G2L are common here, but I didn't like it, and I dislike CR123 batteries, because they're way too expensive and really hard to find down here. Rechargeable AAs are no problem, we can buy good ones everywhere.

Well, I like throwers, like the MagLite 2D LED. I'm not used to flooders, and would like something that throws AND spills well.

I saw a pic from another member of this forum, which I don't recall his name right now, and if the pic is real, I will be plenty satisfied with the L2D Q5. Look at the pic below, the barn looks like it's around 40 yards away from the L2D it it's lit up really nice, with a good hot spot:

fenixl2dq5beamto1.jpg

I REALLY miss this kind of pic on ALL reviews I've read in this forum. They test the beam spot on a wall... and then what? How far can it throw? How big an area can it light up? For those who doens't have the chance to actually use the light, we're in the "dark" and full of doubts.

What do you think guys? (sorry for the long post).

Thank you.

tygger

Enlightened
L2D is great general purpose light. I find the Medium setting bright enough for most tasks and the Hi or Max/Turbo are more than adequate for distance spotting.