Olight M20 Premium (R2) vs EagleTac T10C2

druidmars

Enlightened
Hello fellow users of the CPF! If anyone has the patience to respond to my post it will be deeply appreciated as I am torn between two lights.
I have already published this post here but that was already a very specific topic so I think I should be better off starting a new one.
Let me quickly explain my situation:
I have a 10year-old Maglite, which takes 6D cells. It always worked wonders but it's heavy and long and I believe that lights have evolved a lot since then. Therefore I decided that I want a new, smaller light, still powerful (namely throw, although some spill can always come in handy) and regulated for hiking at night. These are the main purposes for the light.
After perusing the forum (which btw is superb) I have a final with these two contestants: Olight M20 Premium R2 and the Eagletac T10C2.
From my point of view, acquired from reading the forums rather than from experience, this is how I see the face to face:

M20 pros
- better throw (how much better can anyone say?)
- longer runtimes
- three output levels
- takes 18650

M20 cons
- lots of problems with off die or emitter
- more expensive
- some reported problems with o-rings, flickering light as a low power indicator and almost useless warranty (although I think the two last have been or are on the verge of being corrected)
- green tint

T10C2 pros
- good throw (how good compared to M20?), very good spill and beautiful bright beam
- half the price
- tailstands
- neutral tint

T10C2 cons
- couldn't find out about the warranty
- no 18650
- no low low mode

I searched the forum for a comparison between both but found none. Do anyone have both lights? What's your thoughts? Could you post a nice comparison/beamshots?

MattK from Battery Junction replied to my post and was kind enough to explain that the low battery warning was removed, the warranty has changed and is more comprehensive and that only a few lights were affected with the green tint and non aligned die/emitter. Still, I would like some more opinions.
Thank you all very much :)

Noobiwan

Newly Enlightened
Outer Galactic Rim Of The Coruscant Star System
Hi druid,

If throw is important to you, as well as a longer runtime, the M20 is a good choice. Also, it can take cr123's so that's an option you may want to consider. If you're gonna be using the light outdoors, a low lumen setting and a warmer tint would be ideal, as well as having both a SMO and OP reflectors. I prefer the T10C2 for close, indoor applications. Seriously, both lights are great so if I haven't helped any, do what I do...get em both!:)

Good luck in your next light.

Earl

druidmars

Enlightened
Hi druid,

If throw is important to you, as well as a longer runtime, the M20 is a good choice. Also, it can take cr123's so that's an option you may want to consider. If you're gonna be using the light outdoors, a low lumen setting and a warmer tint would be ideal, as well as having both a SMO and OP reflectors. I prefer the T10C2 for close, indoor applications. Seriously, both lights are great so if I haven't helped any, do what I do...get em both!:)

Good luck in your next light.

Earl

Thank you Noobiwan for your advice, which is in fact the same as The Sun :naughty: (in another thread) Nevertheless, most of the times wives don't understand the passion for electronics and mine has forbidden me to buy both lights. "There can be only one".... :sigh:

Last edited:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Noobiwan for your advice, which is in fact the same as The Sun :naughty: (in another thread) Nevertheless, most of the times wives don't understand the passion for electronics and mine has forbidden me to buy both lights. "There can be only one".... :sigh:

You need to be a creative thinker:
1. Buy one light.
2. Lose light.
3. Buy second light.
4. Find first light - ooh look, now I have 2 lights! :whistle: :twothumbs

faucon

Enlightened
The T10C2 does take CR123 primaries, of course, but it also performs very well with 2xRCR123 3.7v rechargeables. I use the ones from AW. So you do have a rechargeable option with the T10C2 despite no 18650 capability.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a M20 and sold it

Emitter on the R2 was not straight (as in the die was off center in the LED it self) - HAlll if thats what it was, chipped off way to easy with general use - it was too eager to flash that it was going flat - and the green/yellow tint never grew on me - it just looked sick.

But it did throw well for its class - but IMO it was nether a thrower or a good light for up close - and for $100 I would have expect better - but this is just IMHO.

Noobiwan

Newly Enlightened
Outer Galactic Rim Of The Coruscant Star System
It's my pleasure druid. Like The Sun, allow me to suggest the CL1HV4 from Dereelight as another alternative. It has everything you'd want in a pocket rocket from build quality, high output, runtime and great customer service, but the ultimate selling point for me is its ability to upgrade with ease.

There's a U.S. dealer available now (FlashCrazy) so you won't have to deal with the long wait that comes with international shipping. It's also a little cheaper in price than the M20. Happy shopping!

druidmars

Enlightened
It's my pleasure druid. Like The Sun, allow me to suggest the CL1HV4 from Dereelight as another alternative. It has everything you'd want in a pocket rocket from build quality, high output, runtime and great customer service, but the ultimate selling point for me is its ability to upgrade with ease.

There's a U.S. dealer available now (FlashCrazy) so you won't have to deal with the long wait that comes with international shipping. It's also a little cheaper in price than the M20. Happy shopping!

Sadly, this dealer does not ship to Canada :( Do you know if is there there any other options in US/Canada?

artec540

Enlightened
Sadly, this dealer does not ship to Canada :( Do you know if is there there any other options in US/Canada?

You can buy directly from Dereelight....... I've found Alan there very helpful, so if the CL1H or the DBS seductive, try him. I have the DBS and have a used CL1H on its way. The CL is a bit smaller but not all that much. I've also got the M 20 but I'm not familiar with the other light you're interested in. The M 20 an te DBS are about the same size and the DBS, in my opinion, is preferable in every way unless you need to have alternating, on-off mode. another advantage of the DBS is the availability of OP or polished reflectors.
Good luck.

Xak

Enlightened
Any chance Eagletac might come out with an upgraded T10C2 with a low-low mode?

druidmars

Enlightened
Any chance Eagletac might come out with an upgraded T10C2 with a low-low mode?

That would make it almost perfect :) Btw I ordered the light from eagletac store and they're out of stock :( They are expecting another shipment in two weeks...

druidmars

Enlightened
2 weeks is a long time to wait when you're a flashaholic.....:candle:

Finally my T10C2 has arrived! After having no stock, EagleTac-Store.com shipped it on the 20th of December and it arrived today, 10 days later. It was a pleasant surprise I didn't have to pay any custom taxes (I live in Toronto, ON, Canada). I remember just a few months ago ordering a pair of shoes (90$) and I was charged 50$ in custom fees!! Now the light had the declared value of 100$ and no custom fees. :confused:
Can someone explain this?
Also I am considering the DBS V3 that just came out and I have to order directly from Hong Kong and I have no idea how much a 150$ light would pay in custom fees when entering Canada. Any of you with a similar experience?
As for my new light, I am waiting for tonigh for further testing!! :naughty: