Tough decision to make. I need help! *Bought TK11*

TheQase

Newly Enlightened
I am torn between 3 lights after reviewing all day today here on CPF.

The problem is, of the 3 lights, I cannot find as much information as I would like on the lights. Please be patient with me, as I know a few of these threads exist, but none answer my questions.

My first Serious LED light was the Fenix P3D CE (Rated at 165 Lumens) - I like it a lot, it is very robust for my needs, but as most of us here, I NEED MORE.

So... The 3 lights:
-Fenix TK11
-EagleTac T10C2
-JetBeam JetIII Pro Ultra (Broad Voltage)

The Factors I would Like to Have:
-Brightness (Brighter than current my 165 lm)
-More Throw than Flood
-Ability to Run 18650

Owning a P3D, I feel a bit biased towards Fenix. I have not owned anything else and feel that it is a quality light.

-The T10C2 claims to be the brightest, but is the only one to not use 18650. Only 2 Modes

-The TK11 appears to have the best throw, but apparently does not "flat-regulate" on a 18650. Only 2 Modes

-The JetBeam is my newest mystery. The Broad Voltage feature, does it "flat-regulate" on all types of batteries? How well does it throw compared to the TK11? How is the quality compared to fenix? Has many modes, which I appreciate in my P3D

To me, the JetBeam seems to be the best, well rounded light available of my choices...

What would you all recommend?

PS: Does anyone know where I can find the CPF code for this BUGOUTGEAR discount, cause right now, I am REALLY leaning toward buying the JetIII Ultra.

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tough decision to make. I need help!

jet 3 pro ultra sure does look good. :candle:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

What would you all recommend?

The Jetbeam with IBS.

Only 3 modes:
Custom A - Custom B - Custom C
Each of the 3 modes can be set to any brightness or SOS or Strobe or beacon. For me that means I set A to min (great for camping/run time/dim enough to not hurt my night adjusted eyes), B to normal (enough light for typical use, more runtime than max and less heat generated) and C to Maximum (sometimes you just want as much light as you can get!).
The ability to not have strobe/SOS/unused settings is brilliant!

The Jetbeam lights are well made, good performers with customisable modes - configure it to suit what YOU want!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 on the Jetbeam, i am figuring that if i just get the jetbeams in AA, CR123 and 18650 (the Jet I, II and III) all my lighting needs are covered.

The Jet III Ultra is designed to throw unlike my Jet III Pro ST which is a good multi level light for general use.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 on the Jetbeam, i am figuring that if i just get the jetbeams in AA, CR123 and 18650 (the Jet I, II and III) all my lighting needs are covered.

I am not a huge CR123 fan so I have a 1 x 14500 (My EDC), a 2 x AA and a versatile 2 x 16340/2 x CR123/1 x 18650 Jetbeam. I am currently fighting hard with all my willpower to not add a Titanium Jet-IIIM, especially since I already have a standard Jet-IIIM. It would be harder if they released a Titanium light in a format that I really want to add, like a AAA Jetbeam with IBS & clicky switch.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

yeah, a AAA Jetbeam would be great! Think it has been discontinued though. The multi voltage Jetbeam is great too, but i wanted 3 modes instead of the 2 that the military model offers.

mdocod

Flashaholic

I'm going to go on a hunch, a very experienced hunch, that the "broad voltage" jet-beam will not run in regulation on an 18650.

I only recall 1 production flashlight that would run on both CR123s and an 18650 and have good regulation on both, and that was the Tiablo A8. But it had "problems" with that circuit, it didn't like CR123s that much to say the least..... Everything else I have seen you get one or the other, either you get regulated output on 18650s, or CR123 compatibly.

If you want the best of both worlds, IMO, buy 2 lights. One for use with 18650s, and the other for use with CR123s. Use the 18650 light daily, and have the CR123 light with a stash of CR123s waiting for an emergency.

From reading your "requirements" along with other parts of the post, it sounds like the features you really want are:

1. 18650 compatibility
2. decent regulation
3. multi-modes, 2 might not be enough to satisfy
4. bright as %^&*
5. throws Like a %^&*

This leads me to think that the answer may not be in your list:

Get a DereeLight CL1H w/3SD module. Order it with both reflector types so you can decide just how much throw you want, but from the numbers I have seen, and the performance of similar modules I own, I think you will be impressed considering the small size of the reflector even with the orange peel.

Eric

concept0

Enlightened

TK11 is great in terms of simplicity. Two modes (60/225 lumens), selected by turning the bezel. If you're a shooter, this one is also great for using the "cigar" technique.

Then again, I only use CR123 primaries. I was a bit upset to find out that it is unregulated on 18650 months after I bought it for its ability to take 18650. But I guess it's not that big of a deal because still haven't used up the original set of primaries!

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

PS: Does anyone know where I can find the CPF code for this BUGOUTGEAR discount, cause right now, I am REALLY leaning toward buying the JetIII Ultra.

I noticed that you can get the JetIII Ultra in "broad voltage" or "18650".
The 18650 only light will probably be the only one that will regulate with a 18650. The JetIII Ultra is a nice looking light and may be my next light purchase.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

If you just want more throw than the Fenix offers, the Jet III Pro model is biased for throw; the Ultra model is essentially a super-thrower along the lines of a Dereelight.

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

Hmm... That CL1H... Doesnt really appeal to me. From the reviews, it just doesnt really catch my eye.

I like the dual clip on the jetbeam...

I am wondering though, would you see much difference in brightness (lumen power) between the T10C2 and the JetBeam JIIIU? Or the TK11 for that matter.

This is such a tough call, because I really want to go with fenix, but as stated before, versatililty and brightness appeals to me. The 295lm advert on the eagletac really appeals to me... That is nearly TWICE as bright as my P3D and to me, that is hard to imagine.

My big thing with the regulation, is I want constant brightness, but the other big thing (while I havent gone through a box of cr123a's -12- in nearly 18 months) is being able to have it be rechargable for (as someone has said) "guilt free lumens"

I wish I could see an up to date review from a site light light-reviews on the JetIII Pro Ultra.

Thanks for your input, and I would definitely welcome much more.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

The T10C2 has the brightest spill of any light I've seen. Decent throw, but not as strong as other. It works great on rcr123 ( I use unprotected Soshine from DX). Very easy to use, and the 60 lumen low is good for most everyday work...so you get extended runtime. It looks like 100 lumens to me-it's that good. The total light output of the TC102 is amazing....what I like is the whole area is well lite up! You don't have a central hot spot...then dark...then spill. The hot spot blends into the spill better than most, and the spill is so strong that you don't have to scan everything with the center spot. Everything is illuminated- all at once! All of these lights are great...no bad choices.

mdocod

Flashaholic

Try not to worry too much about lumen differences within the same range of lights, these are all Q5s or R2s driven to ~1A-1.3A and will all be pretty similar in total output. Being "twice" as bright as your P3D won't actually look much different unless you are comparing lights with different beam profiles. Beam shape is more important than lumens when you are within the same ballpark of lumens. By "ballpark" I mean anything rated 150-300 lumens would be in the same "ballpark" and beam shape would have a greater impact on usefulness within that range that the lumens themselves. The next "ballpark" might be defined as "300-600" lumen, then 600-1200, etc etc etc... When someone says they want a "350" lumen light, any light from 250-500 lumen would probably work fine if it has the proper beam profile for the application it is being used in.

I guess at this point, it's just all decisions decisions:

I guess the best thing to do first, is decide if you want to sacrifice regulation on the 18650 cell to get CR123 compatibility.

Then decide what user interface you prefer. Simple 2 mode bezel twist lights are going to be more practical for general use or as a tactical light, while the more complicated setups are more appropriate if you want something that is more "survival" "preparedness" oriented.

Don't forget about the T10L if you decide on 18650 powered only.

Eric

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

To quote the review in your sig, regarding the TK11...

TK11
Battery Size: 2xCR123
Regulation Type: Buck (seems to be the consensus)
Recommended Input Voltage Range: 3V-8.4V (estimated)
Recommended Rechargeable option: 1x 18650 protected 3.7V li-ion.
Rechargeable alternatives:
1. 1x 17670 protected 3.7V li-ion. (reduced runtime, why bother? maybe have some laying around?)
*Supposedly compatible with 2x3.7V RCR123s if you want flat regulated output with shorter runtime while maintaining recharge-ability. Runs with continuously diminishing output on 1x18650.

This implies that the TK11 could use regular cr123a's or rcr123's or the 18650 (unregulated)

This could quite possibly take care of my rechargable 'quest still having the ability to have multiple power sources. The question is, and this is where I am totally stupid, what kinds of rcr123s would I need to get? this AW brand? would that work?

Again, thanks for everyone replies!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

I think 2 RCR's will blow it up!
Nevermind! Thinking about the wrong light again...................
AW's are great cells.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic

To quote the review in your sig, regarding the TK11...

This implies that the TK11 could use regular cr123a's or rcr123's or the 18650 (unregulated)

This could quite possibly take care of my rechargable 'quest still having the ability to have multiple power sources. The question is, and this is where I am totally stupid, what kinds of rcr123s would I need to get? this AW brand? would that work?

Again, thanks for everyone replies!

Yes, the light is compatible with RCR123s, but it's hard to justify their use in a flashlight that was bored to take advantage of an 18650.

An 18650 has roughly double (or better) the energy stored as a pair of 3.7V RCR123s. Runtime on RCR123s would not be all that impressive... And both RCR123s and CR123s are going to rattle around in a body bored for 18mm cells. I would estimate that the TK11 would run for ~30-45 minutes on high on RCR123s. A regulated 18650 powered light will deliver around or more than double that runtime.

I personally think that sacrificing either regulation, or CR123 compatibility, is worth it to be on the 18650 platform. But that's my opinion. Cutting runtime into anywhere from 1/2-1/4 the time to get a regulated output on a rechargeable cell/s that's backwards-compatibility with CR123s, is just not a good compromise. But to each their own.

I would suggest AW brand protected RCR123s for their reliability.

concept0

Enlightened

CR123s are going to rattle around in a body bored for 18mm cells.

I've got a TK11 that I run on CR123 primaries. I just shook it as hard as I could and could not hear or feel the slightest bit of rattle...

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

Would it be safe to say, on the the TK11, that the brightness availability would surpass the maximum "regulated" brightness availability of the lesser RCR123s?

If so, then I am not sure why I could complain.

My goal there would be that... I could probably find CR123s easy(er) in the event that my 18650 would run down. Albeit that I would be paying 6 bucks a battery at walgreens...

Sounds like I could be back on track for the TK11. After all, its what I wanted to begin with, and I hear its a thrower. I always seem to draw toward lights that throw. I bought a maxabeam for that same reason.

Decisions Decisions it is...

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened

I've got a TK11 that I run on CR123 primaries. I just shook it as hard as I could and could not hear or feel the slightest bit of rattle...
Neither does mine.