Need help with 2d/3d magled mod

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i just bought a ton of 2d and 3d magleds and need help souping them up. i dont mind taking out the led altogether and treating it like an incandescent mag and building from the ground up. i've got two main ideas. one is taking out the luxeon bulb that comes with it and swapping out for a ssc p4 bulb. this would be great cause magleds run longer than terralux but with ssc p4 bulb, i still get most of the brightness and ALL the efficency. this will due me till thost 167 lumens per watt crees are released ;)

second idea is a p7 build from scratch with heatsink, driver, reflector. with either of these i am clueless where to start and i have searched like crazy on cpf but still dont know where to start with either of these mods. if i can get some pointers that would be great.
thanks,
jason

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look for the photo tutorials by StefanFS or Wquiles on how to build a P7 Mag

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
While you could just swap out the Luxeon for a P4, the biggest problem the MagLEDs have is that there is ZERO heatsinking. The P4 will be brighter for about the first 10 seconds before it starts to get too hot and dims. I would not reuse the MagLEDs fixtures.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
but if i'm not mistaken, even once the thermal controls kick in, the p4 upgrade would be twice as bright as the magled would have been, and probably the best bang for the buck mod i can start with.

can someone give me a link to the led i want. i've been searching but dont understand the difference between the star and getting just the bulb (if thats even possible). i'm looking for white, not on the blue side, not on the yellow side. beautiful 3000-4000k white and the most lumens per watt i can get.

is that what i want?
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=180093
can i get it cheaper from kiadomain or dx, or is this the best way to go?

Last edited:

wildstar87

Enlightened
The one you posted would work, or the P4 emitters from DX, you want the bare emitters. The ones you posted are a bit brighter in stats, but in real life you probably wouldn't see much difference.

Look at the Seoul Mod in that thread that was already linked, should have everything you want there.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've been searching but dont understand the difference between the star and getting just the bulb (if thats even possible). i'm looking for white, not on the blue side, not on the yellow side. beautiful 3000-4000k white and the most lumens per watt i can get.

is that what i want?
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=180093
can i get it cheaper from kiadomain or dx, or is this the best way to go?
You need just the emitter 'bulb' if you are putting it on a Magled module.
The star is a heatsink in the shape of a star, sometimes with the emitter pre-mounted.

Tints tend to be SWO ~5000°K or SXO ~5500-6000°K.
For 3000-4000°K you need a SUM or SUN. I have seen them mentioned but no idea where to buy.
The link you provided is a SWO.
SSCP4PureWhite.jpg

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I strongly reccomend the P7 M*g build, you wont be sorry.

A simple place to start would be an emitter and heat sink from here
You can use the stock reflector if you cut off the cam (the tailpiece) I use a 52.1 x 1.90 mm UCL lens from here but the stock one will do.
The 6AA or 9AA battery adapter here or here
And you will need a driver board Kaidomain has them available here and you could also get the li-ion 2 D cell (32600x2) pack with charger (like 40.00$) rather than the AA converter. I like the 2 D pack for the P7 light but its not as good for incan lights. There is also a better driver available from ( the one I wish I had) here

If you decide to go this way and need any help with the assembly all the help you will need is just a mouse click away. I had very little knowlage of this type of thing a few months ago but eveyone here has been a tremendous help, and I have since been able to build several lights that are a blast.

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
The one you posted would work, or the P4 emitters from DX, you want the bare emitters. The ones you posted are a bit brighter in stats, but in real life you probably wouldn't see much difference.

are you saying the ones sold in that post are a more efficent bin than the ones on dx. by how much. is that why they're $10 and dx is 5.25

thanks for posting that graph ledninja. looks like svo or swo is what i want.
u bin is a pretty broad range of lumens per watt it seems like. is there a way to ensure we get a "good" u bin? also is that all we look for in a led, bin efficency and color. if so, seems easy enough. thats how i though it was but some of the model numbers seem complicated.

is there a way to build a p7 off of d cell batteries. i dont want to fool with the hassle of taking aa's out of their harness to charge like i use to with my incandescent mods. d's are real easy and i have 16 of them. my ideal size would be 4d but i have a ton of 3d bodies now (thank you black friday) and a 6d would be ok too. how else besides with aa batteries can i build a p7. elektrolumens seems to have figured it out.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i know this is alot of questions but is it artic 2 pary epoxy or adhesive i want for the magled to sscp4 mod?
these are all the ones available in that post

We are pleased to offer the folowing Arctic Silver products for your modding use:

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Thermal Compound, 3.5 Gram Tube Price: $7.90

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Thermal Compound, 12-Gram Tube Price: $19.75

Arctic Silver Ceramique High-Density Thermal Compound, 2.5-Gram Tube Price: $4.00

Arctic Alumina Ceramic Thermal Compound, 1.75-Gram Tube Price: $3.50

Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (two-part Epoxy), set of two tubes at 2.5gms each Price: $7.00 per set

Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive (two-part epoxy), set of two tubes at 3.5gms each Price: $14.25 per set

Last edited:

wildstar87

Enlightened
You want the epoxy/adhesive, the other stuff is just thermal compound that is used to put more for CPUs, that have some sort of retention mech for the heatsink.

If memory serves the next official bin for the SSC is the "V" bin, which no one has seen yet, this would be like an R2 in a Cree supposedly. The one that is selling in Marketplace is supposed to be inbetween the U and V bin, I believe it's a U2 bin, but just read the details on the post.

That is the only place I've seen those for sale, everywhere else sells just standard U bin. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a "good" led, I've modded a bunch of lights with those bought from both KD/DX and other places and they all pretty much seemed equal. IMO the SSC U, and the Cree Q5 are pretty comparable in brightness, the SSCs seem to have slightly lower vF in my experience.

They are cheap enough that you should just order some and give it a shot. I have 8 on the way to do the exact same thing.

CampingLED

Enlightened
i just bought a ton of 2d and 3d magleds and need help souping them up. i dont mind taking out the led altogether and treating it like an incandescent mag and building from the ground up. i've got two main ideas. one is taking out the luxeon bulb that comes with it and swapping out for a ssc p4 bulb. this would be great cause magleds run longer than terralux but with ssc p4 bulb, i still get most of the brightness and ALL the efficency. this will due me till thost 167 lumens per watt crees are released ;)

Look here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166999 Post #28 has the pics

or here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2307702#post2307702 Post #25 has nice info.