Differences between Photon Freedom and X-Light Micro lights

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously it looks a bit different and I assume doesn't come with the clip but from CFR lights, it says the X-light uses the same Freedom circuitry. Does it also use the GS LED like the Freedom? Any opinions of this light? Quite a bit cheaper then the Freedom, especially for office gifts.

Marduke

Flashaholic
They do use the same circuitry. However, the X-Light uses a much cheaper body, and is larger. For the price, the Freedom is well worth the mere $10.90 it costs shipped.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The main difference is of course that the X-light doesn't come in fancy colors like the Freedom. :D
Now that I have them all ... I have to say that I like pink and yellow best.

Seriously though, I think I read somewhere that only the Freedom and the PhotonII use the "2x" LEDs.

bernie

PhotonColors.jpg

Toons

Newly Enlightened
Have owned both and yes the X-lite is a great value and contains the same LED that is installed in the Freedom. The glow in the dark feature is cool too.... However my not so careful treatment of the these lights after about a year of use the X-lite is destroyed and the Freedoms carry on. The glass filled case is stronger and holds up better during battery changes etc. The stray light emitted out of the case of the X-lite was distracting in low light situations too. Thumbs up on sourcing from CFR btw.

BUY BOTH :shrug:
Toons :)

concept0

Enlightened
BUY BOTH :shrug:
Toons :)

Or buy a Photon ReX for less than both. I got mine for $20 and I'm never without it. 4 Nichia GS (2x as Kiessling called them) LEDs, Li-ion battery and a tiny magnetic recharger that operates from 1.5v and 3.0v batteries. The circuitry functions just like the Freedom and it has a glow in the dark button.

The light is about twice the size of an x-light, but well worth the extra bulk. It's still smaller and more pocketable than most "pocket" lights. They're supposed to offer a solar charger for it soon, as well.

This is the third time I've mentioned the ReX today because I love it so much. Seems like nobody ever talks about it on CPF. :mecry:

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yeah, it's sad those little buggers get so little attention. Everyone can Cree, but only few dare to carry a red Photon Freedom :p

"2x" is the designator LRI uses for the newer LED generations. IIRC it started with the Nichia CS or DS and now they use the GS, it seems.

bernie

kubolaw

Enlightened
The X-Lights are undeniably good bargains, and based on my unscientific comparisons, they have the same LED brightness as the Freedom. But when compared side by side, the Freedom feels substantially smaller and seems much more robust. The accessories are surprisingly handy as well. The X-Light is still a nice office gift, especially if you have a lot of co-workers. It is a capable, quality light. But somehow I feel that the Freedom is significantly more pleasing, and almost without peer as a keychain mini-light.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the X-light video from the CFR site and I guess I'm not very impressed. Lots of light spill for one. I really wish the DX Nichia G2 lights were available, I wonder if they will be again? I can't find them anywhere else. The regular ones are ok for 50 cents but suffer some in the light output, at least compared to a GS. I wonder if the 50 cent ones are any brighter then they were a year ago when I last bought some.

I like to give out six to ten lights at the office. Last year I gave them the DX specials but now they are used to that, I need something brighter to wow them which is why the DX Nichia G2 lights would be perfect.