Whats your best beater for cheap?

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Mine is a Fenix L1P,paid 20 clams for it...dropped from 12 ft to concrete,hit everything but the lottery getting into tight places as a work light.Has served me very well,so I bought another as backup.Whats yours?

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
Mine is the Fenix L2S.

I paid about 20 to 25 dollars for it.

I really like how you can hold it under your arm while you are doing stuff.

My L2D CE is my outsids.

While the L2S is for indoors. I also use it if I want to get it wet and work with my tools.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
single mode ultrafire C3 off DX, got that for 18.98, been dropped too, but not 12 ft, maybe 5 plus or so down a breakwater onto the beach, into wet sand and hit with salt spray too.

Got a spare as well, but find that the later models the reverse clicky is very sensitive, takes very little pressure to activate the momentary off.

Like it that the C3 can be either single AA/14500 or 2 x AA (only), regular maintenance with Break Free keeps everything running smooth.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
SF Titan. It is working keychain duty for months and months now ... the toughest job I have to offer for a light as I am an armchair flashaholic :D

Although I admit if I knew the light would get a real beating I'd bring a U2 instead of the Titan.

bernie

Monocrom

Flashaholic
River Rock 2AAA model.

$9.95 from Target.

Not very bright compared to many EDC-sized lights, but very bright compared to many penlights out on the market.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pr-t head----$40.00
E1B body and tailcap---$20.00
P7 and AMC driver---$26.00
Total: $86.00
Not real cheap, but a damn nice light for the money!

013.jpg

011-7.jpg

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I don't have a cheap beater, the only beater I have is the E1B. If I ever want my light to be dropped, scratched, marred, dinged, thrown, drowned or chipped, its my E1B. Now that's what I call a tool and a half.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is it that Surefire makes it's way into a cheapo's thread? It's like Zaino and Amsoil on their respective forums. How many Surefire people fill their engines with Amsoil and wax their cars with Zaino? :poke:

kavvika

Enlightened
Romisen RC-G2. I bought mine modded with a PhotonFanatic SW0 and DX 7880 for $15, and I would have it in my hand right now but I gave it to my dad! I was thinking, a RC-G2 modded with a #7880 driver and KD warm white cree would be the perfect camping light for flashaholic. Cheap so you can loan it out, the color rendition of a incandescent, and awesome efficiency and brightness on one AA! UI can be confusing for those not in the know though...

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cheapest I have that gets knocked about a lot is a MiniMag with TerraLux upgrade. I keep that on my keys. It might seem a bit big for a keychain, but it's an old habit, and I always know when I've dropped my keys!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Romisen RC-G2. I bought mine modded with a PhotonFanatic SW0 and DX 7880 for $15, and I would have it in my hand right now but I gave it to my dad! I was thinking, a RC-G2 modded with a #7880 driver and KD warm white cree would be the perfect camping light for flashaholic. Cheap so you can loan it out, the color rendition of a incandescent, and awesome efficiency and brightness on one AA! UI can be confusing for those not in the know though...

Personally I'd keep the original driver in there for longer runtimes :)

But yes, the G2 is a very good beater light.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Wow. I wish I was able to call a $500 limited edition flashlight "cheap"

Cheap is relative. If it lasts a long time, it is cheaper on the long run.
And if I really expect a dirty job it is the U2 that has to do it.

I don't have anything where a light really gets beaten to pieces, but if there was such an opportunity or necessity I'd opt for a G2L if it wasn't anything where I'd really depend on the light.

If it is important, cheap becomes more expensive, so to say.

bernie