suggestions for compact AA led light?

balou

Enlightened
hi everybody, looks like I've succumbed to yet another must-have-best something... this time flashlights. oh my wallet...

so... my requirements:
-powered by 1xAA. aaa's cost the same as aa's, but are only minimally smaller, less available, and just 1/3 capacity. besides, with some paper and some aluminium foil you can build an aaa to aa adapter in a pinch. lithium - would be hell as expensive, or would always have to wait from shippings out of hong kong...
-cylindrical, as I will keep this light in my pocket all the time. a big head would be a nuisance
-as I only want to carry one flashlight, it should have different modes - superbright for a couple of minutes, a 'normal' mode and an extended runtime mode.

so far, a novatac would seem like a good fit, except that it runs on lithiums, and, next requirement, not suitable for a student budget :). budget is about 50$.

I've chosen this light as my favorite on DX: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12759
seems to have the 3 modes I described, plus some useless modes I'd have to switch through. but yeah, it's more than half as expensive as an D10, and size isn't really that different.

What differences could I expect from the DX light and a D10?

edit: looks like approved posts are missing newlines, and have some rather short character limit. re-edited the whole thing...

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1D and Nitecore D10 both sound like contenders. Both very nice torches and they both run on a single AA. IIRC the Fenix puts out 120 lumens on highest setting, and the Nitecore 130 lumens. You can select different levels on both, but the Nitecore excels here by letting you push and hold the button to get the exact brightness level you want.

There's other options out there, but I'll stick to recommending brands I use myself. The D10 is a personal favorite of mine and lives in my pocket. :)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

If you wear jeans with tight pockets even if occasionally, the shorter D10 fits in the pocket better.

If you do not need strobe or SOS the L1T v2.0 is ~$10 cheaper than the L1D Q5 or LD10.

balou

Enlightened
hey, the d10 is above my 50$ limit ;) seems like a common gadget forum rule: state your limit, expect that others will assume 1.5x your limit.

yeah, the D10 looks really nice. unfortunately, it's just above the tax-free limit. will have to call customs first to get a quote on the import tax. and I will also have to ask the shop if they ship as padded envelope or parcel.

what differences could I expect from the D10 vs the DX-flashlight? 24$ is a lot more in the 'yeah lets buy it' region than the about 65$ (taxes...) of the D10. I've also read that the 1st and 2nd gen of the d10 had massive problems... how about them now?
about the size... I also found the fenix ld10 when searching for the d10 here - this light's a lot bigger. the d10 really is compact. but the one from DX is just a few mm longer.

I also forgot something in the first post - intended usage.
-going to the bathroom at night without turning on the blinding lights everywhere
-walking home in the middle of the night, when the bus doesnt drive anymore (it's through a forest)
-looking inside computer cases
-camping

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are in the US, you can buy Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, and Eagletac lights(along with other companies that are above your budget) from 4sevens/Eagletac Store. They are in the US so no extra taxes for people in the US. Their price also includes shipping and they have a 8% off coupon for CPF users, "CPF8".

DX is for budget light, the Nitecore, Fenix, Olight, Liteflux, Jetbeam and so on aren't budget lights, so that means better quality, warrenty, and better thought out.

I'm not how often there is a problem with the D10 but Nitecore seems to covered them pretty well.

The Fenix L1T V2.0 is bigger but is cheaper then the Nitecore. Low mode is too bright for times when you have night adaped eyes.

Which DX light are you looking at?

:welcome:

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
I agree with Gunner. 4sevens is an excellent dealer.

If you're outside the US; I think the declared value on the package will be conservative, so don't worry that it will be a few bucks to high.

If you invest a few more dollars, you'll have a light that will last you a long time, and is cutting edge brightness- and functionality-wise. I strongly doubt this is what you'll say when you buy a budget light.

My two cents,

Kees

oh, and :welcome:

balou

Enlightened
I'm sorry, posts that have to be pre-approved seem to have a rather low maximum length, here is roughly the part that was lost (also added it in the first post):
================
so far, a novatac would seem like a good fit, except that it runs on lithiums, and, next requirement, not suitable for a student budget :). budget is about 50$.

I've chosen this light as my favorite on DX: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12759
seems to have the 3 modes I described, plus some useless modes I'd have to switch through. but yeah, it's more than half as expensive as an D10, and size isn't really that different.

What differences could I expect from the DX light and a D10?
================

I'm in Switzerland, taxes apply if the value of the shipping + s&h fees is above 66 CHF, which is approx 55$. I just calculated it - if I order on the right day, a D10 would fall just under the 66CHF limit, if the 8% CPF rebate is included.

but still... a bit on the pricey side for me, and besides half of my meals come prepackaged from asia and most likely through Hong Kong, just like the stuff on DX... gotta love Ramen noodles ;)

so... I'm a bit unsure which to buy. any advise appreciated

Toaster

Enlightened
I really wouldn't worry too much about the size difference among the various single AA EDC lights. While some are bigger than others, they are all small lights that are easily pocketable. So pick a light based on the features you want instead of worrying that extra 10g and half an inch here or there will make the light unpocketable :crackup:

I believe you should email/PM 4sevens and ask what the declared value will be on any lights you are interested in as he states on his website he "will declare them at the invoice price minus the shipping cost." So maybe lights that are close to the $50 mark might have a declared value below your limit?

Anyhow my vote is for the Fenix LD10/L1D Q5. The Nitecore D10 is a great light as well. They both do what you want, but the Fenix just seems a bit more reliable and worry-free to me.

chibato

Newly Enlightened
Balou,

It kind of sounds like you have already made up your mind about getting the DX light. Several folks have already given reason that you would like the D10. My two cents, as well, is that for the size and requirements you are looking for, the D10 should be at the top of the list. I have ordered a number of things from DX, including lights, although not this particular one. In general, the products are ok, but usually, you get what you pay for. If you plan on buying only one light for a while, you want somehing that is rugged enough to last. However, only you know your budgetary constraints and if the DX light is where you need to be price wise, it would beat other competitors at that price. One thing to note, as was mentioned in the reviews, is that if you plan on doing a lot of night trips to the bathroom the DX light does not have a memory mode and you will have to switch through the high modes everytime you turin it on. It does become a pain after a while. Also, the build and feel between the DX and D10 will be a lot different. The D10 will be much more solid and the knurling gives it a much better feel. Anywho, good luck with whatever you decide, and welcome to CPF. Another option is to keep your eyes open for someone selling a D10 in the marketplace.

balou

Enlightened
ok, so let's see...

Option 1: I buy the cheap DX light

Hypothesis 1.a:
I will like the cheap light, never come back to cpf and live happily ever after with this light.

Hypothesis 1.b:
The light will be crap, will last just a month, will probably get slightly wet and then just stop working. I'll be disappointed because I spent 24$, and now I will have to spend another 60$ to buy a quality light.

Option 2: Buy the Nitecore D10

Hypothesis 2.a: I will like the D10 and live hap..... same as above ;)

Hypothesis 2.b: "Must have better light, must spend $350 on better light". Repeat ad nauseum...

Soooooo........
I hate this forum already ;)
60$ is well past the 'cheap' zone, as I already mentioned.

-Is there a bike holder for it? Dual-use as bike light would make the decision a little easier... I could justify the light with "you can't put a price on security/being seen late at night on the bike" ;)
-the first D10 seemed to have problems with lubrications/o-rings/whatnot. Is that fixed now?

On the other hand, I have some experience shelling out large sums on quality things...
Would you:
1. spend 20$ on 100g (about 3 oz) of plain dark chocolate
2. spend 200$ on something called 'headphone amplifier' (just the parts)
3. 160$ on headphones
4. 1500$ on a digital camera
5. 60$ on 2.5dl of spiced wine

ok, I didn't buy the last, just tasted from it...
So the question is.... staying with the 'cheap flashlight' crowd, or expending my expensive quality-only habit on flashlights (and eating even more ramen as compensation :p)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hypothesis 1.b:
The light will be crap, will last just a month, will probably get slightly
IF Your light lasts one month, You can be happy!
(I use DX lights for modding and lending them around instead of my normal lights, dont give a dime on most of them)

Alkalines are a NO, because they dont stand the current draw, You have to use Ni-Mhs with these lights.
Do You have Ni-Mh cells and charger already?

Question: why does the light has to be 1 AA?
It is a sub-optimal size.
For very small light, something like the long running Fenix E01,
for powerful light (multilevel) there are options: 2 AA or 2 CR123, or the best option: 1 18650 Li-Ion cell.

That huge 18650 makes the light the same size than a 2 CR123 one, shorter than 2AA, but larger than single AA.
Li-Ion Cells and charger are way less expensive than Ni-Mhs and their charger.
and it offers considerably more runtime than 2 AA or 2 CR123

... the uses You typed make a light necesary that
* can give several levels
* comes on at LOW
* can give power
* still gives useful runtime
* is small
Your actual favorite, with its multilevel one-after-the-other user interface that has to be gone through every time, ... it will annoy You on the short run.

... I just switched from a Fenix L1D to a Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST. Sure the size is a bit larger but the difference is worth it.
when I know I wont need a light, I pack a Fenix E01 in my back pocket.
On hikes, nightrides, ..., several of my 18650 ones come with me.

PS: usually with most shops recommended here, You dont have to pay shipping cost, that customs thing might not get activated. If there is shipping, I ask not to mention them on the invoice, so ...

Last edited:

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Balou, looking at your list, it's obvious you like GOOD stuff. Chocolate, headphones (I've spent quite a lote on earphones, particularly on Ultimate Ears and Audio Technicas...). I have DSLR Canon cameras, and they're also expensive.

So why NOT purchase a light that will last 'forever' for fifty bucks??? Go for it!

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D10 was an expensive item for me too, but after being repeatedly let down by cheap toches (usually when I needed them most), I feel it's well worth the extra money for something you can rely on. I'm not saying the one from DX is no good, but IMO it's a bit of a gamble if it's going to be your only light on camping trips or in emergencies. I'm not trying to be dramatic here - I realise you can survive a night in the dark - but it's very inconvenient (I've been there :sigh: ).

So that's a practical reason to spend a bit more. Other than that it's a very nice, well designed light, so if you appreciate quality (as you appear to do), I think you'll also take pleasure in owning it.

balou

Enlightened
Why AA?
big advantage is of course the availability of them. And yes, I already have a charger and about 8 AAs, and atm I need at most 4 of them (alternatively in a flash or in an old gameboy ;)). I also don't expect to run alkalines at 130 lumen - about 10 lumen would be ok, seems to be still bright enough to find my way in a dark forest.

CR123 - locally they're ridiculously expensive (18$). yes, I could order them from dealextreme, but it's not as easy as just popping in an alkaline AA when the nimh runs out.

what alternatives to the D10 are there with other battery types? I think 50min at 130 lumen is enough, I don't think that I'll use this mode often.

about the free shipping/less tax issue some of you mentioned: swiss customs adds the value of the shipping and the postage together, so the advantage that 4sevens subtracts shipping costs doesn't help much... unless they also extract the h of s&h ;)

by the way, this seems to be my current led light: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1137
paid triple of that for it at a local wandering-thriftstore (yeah strange concept). dimmer than the led light of most cellphones, but great at sucking juice out of batteries down at 0.7v.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Balou, I like AAs too, currently use Rechargeable 2500mAh Sonys. They're good. CR123 are expensive around here, and hard to find ($15).

I live in Brazil, and everything above US$50 gets taxed, and the fee also includes S&H.

www.fenix-store.com has free shipping worldwide, so as dealextreme.com maybe the shipping comes as $0 on the invoice and you pay tax just over the flashlight.