Malkoff P7 Direct Drive Drop-In (Photos)

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
I called Gene and asked him about the possibility of a P7 drop-in that I could use in my Surefire C2 (bored to fit 18650's). I found myself carrying the MTE-P7 to work more frequently due to the sheer output it provides and really wanted that output in the C2 which happens to be my favorite flashlight body. Gene was not completely satisfied with the beam quality of the P7 but I didn't care about that - I just wanted a ton of light for close up illumination of machinery. Direct Drive was fine by me as well so no concerns about enough room for regulation circuitry in the heatsink. Gene really came through - the Malkoff P7 Direct Drive drop-in is exactly what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

From the outside it looks just like an M30 & M60
Side3-1.jpg

A different story from the business end
Front3.jpg

Close up. OP reflector.
CloseUp.jpg

I apologize for the upcoming subpar beamshots (maybe Santa will bring me a new camera!) L-R: 1)Malkoff P7 in SF C2 & 18650 2)Malkoff M30 in Leefbody & 18650 3)MTE SSC P7 & 18650 4)Malkoff M60 in Leefbody & 2x 18650
Side4.jpg

From the front
Front4.jpg

Up first the M60 (the bicycle is 15 feet from the camera & flashlight)
M60.jpg

The M30
M30.jpg

The Malkoff P7. Definitely a floodbeam with no real hotspot. Pulls about 2.5 amps.
MalkoffP7.jpg

MTE SSC P7. The Malkoff P7 has a little wider coverage and less hotspot compared to the MTE. Otherwise very similar.
MTEP7.jpg

And the good old Surefire P91:D (2x 18650)
P91.jpg

Some Additional Comparisons

Malkoff M30
M30-1.jpg

Malkoff P7
P7.jpg

Surefire L4
L4.jpg

Dereelight Q5
DereeQ5.jpg

Fenix P2D Q5
P2D.jpg

Surefire E2DL
E2DL.jpg

:D

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Even if Gene was not completely happy with the beam, it still looks great.

Thanks for sharing. :)

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you measure the current draw of the new Malkoff P7 on a digital ammeter? Need to know what its pulling on a freshly charged battery. Thanks, G.

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
Can you measure the current draw of the new Malkoff P7 on a digital ammeter? Need to know what its pulling on a freshly charged battery. Thanks, G.

Mr.G - between 2.8 & 2.9 amps on a freshly charged protected AW18650 at 4.2 volts.

Optik49

Enlightened
That's great news. I wonder if he will start making these on regular bases or even for Mags.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Optik49 came up with a great question.

Did Gene indicate if he had plans to make the P7 available to others, on a regular basis?

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
damn gsnorm you gonna cost me money...

any reason an AW 17670 cell wont' work?

(Someone please correct me if I have this wrong) I just measured a 2.9 amp draw so since 2C would be 3.2 amps for a 1600mAh AW17670 protected cell, you should be ok. Just less runtime. :D

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be pretty cool to stick this in a 3p and run it with one of AW's IMR 16340's. :D

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
That's great new. I wonder if he will start making these on regular bases or even for Mags.

I think when Gene achieves the desired beam quality he will. On a white wall up close you can see some beam imperfections but in actual use it's an impressive wall of light from a rather small package.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i prefer the p7 malkoff beam to the rest,

im not a fan of 12" diameter 450 lumen hotspots from 30 feet.

wall of light for me.