TSA On The Lookout For "Tactical" Flashlights

Praxis

Enlightened
*Mods please merge with existing airport threads if you think it best*

Hi Everyone,
Just a warning to any of you who travel with "tactical" style lights like the Surefire E2D. Until yesterday I scoffed at people on the forums who worried about flying with TID-style lights. I have traveled with these lights before, and my significant other travels on a weekly basis with her E2D and had never encountered any problems until yesterday (November 28).

Yesterday, though, she ran into problems at Washington-Dulles Airport with a TSA screener. Screener said her E2D was a "sharp object" and wouldn't let her through. She eventually spoke to the head screener for the checkpoint and he continued to say the same thing. Now, my SO also works for the TSA, has security clearances, and official credentials, so she specifically asked the supervisor to state where his information was coming from. All he would say is that he had received "specific guidance" from headquarters to be on the lookout for "tactical" flashlights with sharp points.

So, for those of you flying with TID lights, be aware that the TSA is starting to pay attention to these lights.

**Question edited out of respect for Size15 and CPF**

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Also, can anyone think of a way to retrofit something over the points on the E2D so it doesn't look "tactical" to screeners?
I would rather we didn't get into a discussion on ways and means of concealing things from the TSA. It would be dreadful if such methods, voiced here were later discovered to have been used against us (using 'us' in the broadest sense as well as CPF specifically)

That said, SureFire offers BeamFilters, in two styles for the E-Series bezels. These are accessories intended to enhance the utility of flashlights rather than conceal aggressive features.

Praxis

Enlightened
I would rather we didn't get into a discussion on ways and means of concealing things from the TSA. It would be dreadful if such methods, voiced here were later discovered to have been used against us (using 'us' in the broadest sense as well as CPF specifically)

That said, SureFire offers BeamFilters, in two styles for the E-Series bezels. These are accessories intended to enhance the utility of flashlights rather than conceal aggressive features.

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for.

And no, I'm not advocating breaking any security protocols, or whatever TSA wants to call their screening criteria. Based on the conversation, as retold to me by my SO, TSA screeners are now simply being told to look for flashlights with pointy parts.

Personally, I do not see how tactical flashlights represent a threat when flights have armed Air Marshalls and passengers are no longer afraid to get involved with potential security situations onboard. In fact, as of last year, Kip Hawley, head of TSA, wanted to allow small knives through checkpoints again, but the flight attendents union got upset and put pressure on him to keep the rules as strict as possible.

Out of respect to CPF, I will edit original post.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
* All he would say is that he had received "specific guidance" from headquarters to be on the lookout for "tactical" flashlights with sharp points.

So, for those of you flying with TID lights, be aware that the TSA is starting to pay attention to these lights.

Also, can anyone think of a way to retrofit something over the points on the E2D so it doesn't look "tactical" to screeners?

Well thats a bunch of CRAP!!!:rant::rant::hairpull::rant:

I suggest buying a separate e-series bezel for flight.

Good to know and thanks for the heads up.
I have flown many times with flashlights with strike bezels and have had zero problems....so far.
I have thought about what I would do if some TSA agent decided they wanted my flashlight...:xyxgun:....my flashlight PUNK!!!

I try to only take lights that don't look to menacing.
Last time I flew, I was pulled to the side by a screener.
Ended up...she really liked all my Maxpedition gear and wanted to know where she could get some:D.. When I opened the bag to show her what kind of space there was inside, she spotted all 8-10 surefire and asked why I needed so many flashlights and wanted to check them out!:crackup:
To bad she wasn't cute and young:p
She ended up liking the Kroma the most:grin2:

I DID have one incident where the screener picked up and looked at the TAD Gear strike bezel on my E1L, but put it down and let me pass.

prof

Enlightened
I was stopped over an Inova X5 a year or two ago because the agent did not know what it was...

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Useful info thanks very much. I have always avoided travel with crenulated bezels or any sharp teeth.

tango44

Enlightened
*Mods please merge with existing airport threads if you think it best*

Hi Everyone,
Just a warning to any of you who travel with "tactical" style lights like the Surefire E2D. Until yesterday I scoffed at people on the forums who worried about flying with TID-style lights. I have traveled with these lights before, and my significant other travels on a weekly basis with her E2D and had never encountered any problems until yesterday (November 28).

Yesterday, though, she ran into problems at Washington-Dulles Airport with a TSA screener. Screener said her E2D was a "sharp object" and wouldn't let her through. She eventually spoke to the head screener for the checkpoint and he continued to say the same thing. Now, my SO also works for the TSA, has security clearances, and official credentials, so she specifically asked the supervisor to state where his information was coming from. All he would say is that he had received "specific guidance" from headquarters to be on the lookout for "tactical" flashlights with sharp points.

**Question edited out of respect for Size15 and CPF**

The light was in your carry on or the register one?
What did they do?
They took the light or they ask you to register or mail it, tell us what happened?

Thank you.

Praxis

Enlightened
The light was in your carry on or the register one?
What did they do?
They took the light or they ask you to register or mail it, tell us what happened?

Thank you.

Hi Tango,

My significant other had the light clipped in her carry-on bag. Apparently, the screeners spotted it on the X-ray machine and decided to do a secondary screening of the bag. They said she could give it up, or mail it. She decided to leave the checkpoint and mail it since she really likes the light. Fortunately, Dulles has an automated mail center just outside the checkpoint so she was able to mail the light and get back through security in time to catch her flight.

She originally asked to borrow an inter-office mailer and send it to her office in DC, since she is a TSA employee, but that apparently made the checkpoint supervisor angry and he refused. She got all their names and badge numbers and will be talking with their bosses at headquarters because she wants to know the specific details about how and why tactical lights are being restricted.

Another screening incident of note, about a month ago, one of my SO's co-workers (former head of security for a major transit agency) got yelled at in LAX by a screener for having a 3C mag-light. Tried to tell her it was an impact weapon and she would have to give it up. She complained to the supervisor and got to keep the mag. :p

Last edited:

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
They'd probably freak out for sure if you were carrying one of those 200 lumen Home Depot monsters. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
I was stopped over an Inova X5 a year or two ago because the agent did not know what it was...

tag on your X5 sheathed bezel up next time, bezel down someone told me it looked like mace :ironic:

my TIROS'd inova in La Guardia International got a different treatment. they take the tailcap off, remove the battery, then compare the battery to the light and ask me whats in the extra space between the window and batteries:duh2::ohgeez:

I stopped carrying Inovas altogether on flights

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Screw that, I taking an L6 Porcupine on my next flight...

In mock innocence . . .

What do you mean? I cant bring these? but they are harmless haha
sf3por3sd1.jpg

Those are not mine bytheway.

Funny you say that. I EDC my L6 Porky in my Tad Gear FAST PACK. I was thinking of bringing it with me when I travel to Vancouver this xmas holiday. I was thinking it would be better If i DONT bring the porky, but I could swap the rather aggressive strike head for my std KL6 or my Old style M3 head. If I really wanted to, I could put my porky KL6 in my small pelican case and put my SF blockout filter over the strike bezel. As a stand alone head I dont think they would know what it is. But then again There is no real need for me to risk losing my porky KL6.

I EDC the L6 Porky, G2Z, Kroma, and Gladius in my pack. So i should be ok on lights.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
tag on your X5 sheathed bezel up next time, bezel down someone told me tit looked like mace :ironic:

my TIROS'd inova in La Guardia International got a different treatment. they take the tailcap off, remove the battery, then compare the battery to the light and ask me whats in the extra space between the window and batteries:duh2::ohgeez:

I stopped carrying Inovas altogether on flights
Just imagine if you had an A2 Aviator, an L2 or the old L1...

Illum

Flashaholic
Just imagine if you had an A2 Aviator, an L2 or the old L1...

My A2 didn't get any attention, it passed through the X-ray faster than my shoes. I stapled the heels on my tennis shoes back on, come to think of it I should have them glued or just buy a new pair of shoes before getting on the plane:shrug:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is certainly good to know.

One thing is clear, what's true today, will change tomorrow. The rules aren't constant.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They apparently don't have enough to do strip searching old ladies and harassing frequent flyers, so they've moved into the role of flashlight patrol.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As if a metal ballpoint pen can't do as much or even more damage than an E2D or similar light. :rolleyes:

It's sad that the TSA can't even do a decent job of pretending to reduce the likelyhood of terrorism. :ironic:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the head's up. I figured it was a matter of time before this would be an issue. I don't fly with such a configured light anyway.