2~CR123 Large spot loads of flood. Any ideas?

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
Hey there, As the title really, I like the look of the Dereelight with sm3 mod (I think its that one)but don't know if this is more of a thrower.
I work as a signal engineer and need to be able to light up a electrical location with a nice bright clean light with no intense hotspots.
The gdp led's give a nice smooth beam but I can't find one that uses 2 cr123 battery. But am sure that is something out there!

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
I work as a signal engineer and need to be able to light up a electrical location with a nice bright clean light with no intense hotspots. The gdp led's give a nice smooth beam but I can't find one that uses 2 cr123 battery. But am sure that is something out there![/quote said:
Check out the flood of the 160 lumens Daylite (2xCR123) here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=212205

or Here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=212987

The 160 lumens model is relatively difficult to get. (Only a few places on the internet carry them.)
$40 Shipped here : http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(muqeao45xhc4uumwckvjm2id)/productdetails.aspx?sku=998023155&source=GoogleBase

Here are some facts about the Daylite

Duracell Daylite 2XCR123
Regulated Circuit-
Good run times
BRIGHT! 160 Lumens
Water Resistant
Lifetime GUARANTEE
http://www.duracell.com/products/guarantee.asp
CR123 version can be had for about $40.00
5" long
Reverse clicky
Can tail stand
Reputable company- Can be trusted
Nice Looking
Sturdy anodized aluminum.
Comes with batteries
Protect the window inexpensively- Cut out the threads of a gallon milk jug cap- fits great!
(Different colored milk jug caps make nifty filters too!)
Window%20Cap.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like what you need is a Zebralight headlamp. It's basically a bare Cree LED, there's no reflector or optics, so you get a super-wide, smooth flood of light. It's perfect for close-up work, and puts out a lot more light than an Inova X5. The H50 uses a single CR123, but it puts out 4lm for over three days, 20lm for 21 hours, which is around the same as an Inova X5 (but wider flood), and 80lm for 2.5hrs. Also, since it's a headlamp, it will leave your hands free to do your signal-engineeringly duties unimpeded.

Edit: www.4sevens.com is the place to get it if you decide to go this route. It's run by CPF member 4sevens, and I believe they offer a discount to members.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Pick your light. Ignore beam pattern. Make sure you can open the head.
Simply put a layer of LDF under the lens and you are done. Choose the strangth of LDF you want. Don't limit yourself to the factory options.

Roscolux sample pack.

d_rasp

Newly Enlightened
I use the super-popular combo of a Surefire 6P w/ Malkoff M60F & it's one of the most impressive 'real-world' lighting solutions I've seen. If you're really going to use it mostly for close-up work you might consider the M60LF instead as the regular 'F' variant is quite bright.

I'm quite interested in the new Zebra H60, it's towards the top of my Christmas list. I work on cars for a living & spend lots of time doing detailed work under dashes and in crowded engine bays - the idea of a med-strength floody beam on my forehead seems great!

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips, would any of the dereelights work, in the UK it can be harder to get hold of some of the lesser known lights and if they come from the states I have to pay upto the cost of the light in import fees and handling charges.
Just gets abit confusing with all the various pills and things you can get!
I looked at the surefire outdoorsman but it's alittle too much to spend at a time when I am waiting for the Ra clicky to hit the UK.
I don't want rechargable batterys as in the UK we are going to be turning off a large percentage of our power stations in 2010 because of 'enviromental reasons' aslo all but one nuclear power station will be reaching there end of life and the goverment has not invested in new ones! I have seen lots of warnings about power cuts coming our way :-/.

Last edited: