Some love for the Photon ReX?

concept0

Enlightened
Anybody else have a Photon ReX?

Info: http://www.photonlight.com/Photon-ReX-Keychain-LED-Flashlights-p/rex-lithium-ion-rechargeable.htm

I've had one on my keychain for almost 6 months now and I love it! The ReX uses 4 Nichia GS (2x) LEDs, so it's 4x brighter than the current Photon Freedoms and 8x brighter than the older Freedoms and the X-Lights. Uses the same great UI as the Freedom/X-Light, so you can start on low or high and ramp the light up or down. It also has momentary/beacon/SOS settings that I've never accessed accidentally, but can find easily when necessary. And the button glows in the dark for easy nighttime location.

And the best part is that it uses a built-in rechargable Li-ion battery that can be recharged from standard 1.5v and 3.0v batteries. It's got this tiny little charger with rare earth magnets that attach to the light and the battery terminals for charging. LRI (Laughing Rabbit Industries - the maker of Photons) is also supposed to be releasing a solar charger!

This light has come in handy so many times I can't count! I also like that I don't have to worry about the polymer body getting scratched on my keys like aluminum or titanium. Not that it can't get scratched, just that I don't care if it does. And LRIs warranty department goes out of their way to help.

Anyway, the ReX just doesn't get enough attention on this board... Any ReX owners want to give it a shoutout?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine less than a month ago, it's definately my most used light, it's really a shame it doesn't get much love on these forums.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure this is high tech, but a lil bit too pricy imo... I think i will order one with a 3v solar panel from dx. :grin2:

concept0

Enlightened
Sure this is high tech, but a lil bit too pricy imo... I think i will order one with a 3v solar panel from dx. :grin2:

Not sure which one you're talking about. I searched for "solar flashlight" on DX, but the two lights that came up were junk.

The ReX is <$20 at batteryjunction - doesn't seem that pricey compared to most of the lights discussed around here...

concept0

Enlightened
Mine didn't hold the charge after only 1 cycle.

There is another thread about it somewhere.

I would love it except for that issue.

If you got one from the initial batch, it's got faulty circuit programming. Just call LRI at 541-925-3741 and they'll take care of you. They have a great warranty dept. and will probably send you a free X-Light for your trouble...

The initial batch still works okay. It just had an issue that if you let the battery completely discharge, then you had to charge it with a 3.0v cell (CR123) instead of 1.5v. Or a least that's what they told me when I sent mine in with that same problem. My replacement ReX charges fine.

Snow

Enlightened
For such a low price, it sounds like a light worth checking out. LRI is a great company and I'd love to send more money their way.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll send a shout out for the Rex.
I carry my first batch one every day now. It is my only pocket EDC clipped to a small Spyder Byrd. I use it every day and the charge lasts me at least a month per. I'm still on the first C-cell alkaline for recharging. Only problem I had was some connection problems taken care of by cleaning up around the plastic with said Byrd knife for a few seconds and a jiggle to connect when charging.
It's the only light I can toss in my pocket without worry of it getting scratched.

LOVE IT and I paid $30 for mine. They are a STEAL now.

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
Mine got a cicle in the washing machine today at 40 ° C for 1 hour ... it worked right after still with water in it.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in! This is a very nice light and easy to EDC. It can be adjusted very low, is suprisingly bright for as small as it is (but short runtime), and can run for a couple of hours at a decent level which is very practical. I just give it a charge every now and then and know it is ready to go when I head out the door.

I am awaiting the improved version that is supposed to address the low discharge issue. In the meantime, I just do not discharge the light too low and this seems to work just fine. I have one left from the original batch - I lost one during camping.

concept0

Enlightened
I am awaiting the improved version that is supposed to address the low discharge issue.

I talked to LRI a couple weeks ago, because I sent in my old ReX with the charging issue for warranty service. They said that the new batch was in and shipping. Not sure if they're in stores yet, and I don't know of any way to tell which batch it is from the package or from the light itself...

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely love mine. Puts out a ton of light for it's size, plus has one of the best UI's ever. :twothumbs I carry it in my pocket, and I usually forget it's in there... weighs practically nothing.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I got my Rex, but I'm having trouble with the UI. LOL. Also should it turn off automatically a few seconds after being turned on? I can turn it on dim, turn it on bright, make it ramp up, ramp down. I haven't figured out the SOS, beacon, strobe, etc. Are there better instructions posted somewhere?

concept0

Enlightened
You're in "Demo Mode"... the light automatically shuts off to prevent it being left on inside the package...

Look at the instructions to find out how to get it out of demo mode, I forget how to do it and don't have the instructions in front of me...

Let me know if you're still having problems with the Morse/beacon/SOS modes after you get it out of demo!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, demo mode, that would explain it. Looks I disabled it from fooling around. Now I can try using the UI per the instructions and maybe this time it will work. :)

Now I've got it doing what it's supposed to do. :) Anyway to get it to strobe, beacon, etc, in low mode? Or is it only full output in these modes?

concept0

Enlightened
Haha, demo mode, that would explain it. Looks I disabled it from fooling around. Now I can try using the UI per the instructions and maybe this time it will work. :)

Now I've got it doing what it's supposed to do. :) Anyway to get it to strobe, beacon, etc, in low mode? Or is it only full output in these modes?

Those modes only work on a single brightness, which I assume is full output.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally played with the Rex in the dark. I assume this is using GS LED's? It's pretty bright on high, but has the purple tint we're used to with GS Nichia's.

Last edited: