Spartanian II users discussion thread.

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Spartanian II users lets talk?

I was planning to start a thread asking what default levels people were using but this one will be as good as any.

I feel 13 levels might be a bit much for the control ring method when it needs separate rotations to advance. Also, I would start at level 1 and advance to the level I need but with a little ambient light the low is too dim to see the locked on flash (I know I can give it a couple of bananas but it's not positive enough feedback for me). To kill two birds, I would like the right twist to lock on then advance up the levels if you continue to hold. Shortcuts for min and max or continuous level advance would be a good addition too, I think about 1/4 to 1/2 sec pause per level would work well.

While I'm on the subject of the locked on flash, it could be more intrusive for me, I find it hard to pick up against any sort of busy background i.e. most real world outdoor use.

I ought to pimp my Sort of Review while I'm here.

Kev.

EDIT: I may have misinterpreted the question, did you want to know what I thought of the UI or if you should buy one for your wife?

Last edited:

Elakazam

Newly Enlightened

I think, the spartanian II concept is really nice and innovative all in all, but the realization of the 1st batch is a little bit disappointing:

a rattling and lax switch-ring
the ugly colored and imperfect anodisation and some scratches
completely unlubed threads and o-rings
no lanyard hole
thin wall thickness
a unsatisfying bezel ring...

and, of course the handling of my order after a longer time of waiting (the light was sadly delivered without the lens, o-rings and op reflector).

I´m sure, Neoseikan will do his best (and has already done the first improvements) to make us customers more happy with the 2nd batch of lights.

I´m very curious what we will get hopefully soon.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

@Cheesy actually it was meant to be anything about the S2,but there does not seem much interest anyway!

Apart from the obvious control ring issues I really like this light,I have mine set right level 13,left level 1 I find twisting right more natural.

I'm not sure yet if I would like the spring to be stiffer,at the moment it feels ok IMO.

And as for carrying this light in your pocket I would prefer a holster of some kind instead of unscrewing the tail cap every time I take it out.

Elakazam mentions the wall thickness,well I find that not a issue my thoughts go to when I had a Novatac which had a lot less meat on the walls IIRC,no the S2 is plenty thick IMO

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not sure yet if I would like the spring to be stiffer,at the moment it feels ok IMO.

i agree, personally i have no problems with the stiffness of the ring, its just lose enough that no matter how you hold it, you can still activate it with any free finger.
Of course, if a stiffer ring also means a more reliable one, unlike mine in which SOMETHING came detached, then im all for it.

My only other gripe is that it needs SOME sort of attachement point for a lanyard or something, im thinking something like the old ARC LS would do nicely.

and the anodizing is very thin on tail, even coming up againt soft material like its own drawstring bag, i can see abit of bare AL showing after awhile, no doubt in fault, partly to the extremely agressive knurling

Crenshaw

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I took the spring to a dab maker"there are many where I live"I think they would easy make a perfect spring,it may just be a case of loosing one coil :thinking:

yes the anno is it's downfall very thin mine is flaking around the head,but i can live with this.

you could tether a lanyard around the waist I guess,but yes maybe a lanyard ring of sorts would be better.

also what this light need is a SS bezel,which BTW where are they I thought these were meant to be shipped ASAP :shrug:

[EDIT]Any better suggestions for the title of this thread?

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

here you go
017.jpg

023.jpg

007.jpg

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened

How about some pics!!

There are quite a few if you follow the link in my post above.

I'm not sure what Elakazam is talking about with the tube thickness, the threaded part is thick enough IMO and it only gets thicker going forward.

My tailcap is flaking, hopefully the HA is going to be fixed though.

I haven't mentioned the bezel before, it really needs a bevel to trap the o-ring, if you slightly over tighten it tends to spit out. I would like to see a new version with better keying for removal like JetBeam use, and a tool, especially with offering interchangeable reflectors.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any pestering about the SS bezel yet.

Kev.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheesy yes you are right maybe a word in neo's ear is called for :scowl:
em yes a tool would be nice to be included with the S2 in future,BTW did you see a pic of the one I use on all my lights?

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened

Yes, I saw your tool. :eek:

The JetBeam one is nice non scratchy Nylon 66 type stuff.

blackforce_2030_924028.jpg

I used a set of round nosed pliers with a rubber glove then got annoyed and did it without the glove thinking I'm likely to have the body replaced anyway. As it turned out, there wasn't really any damage. I did turn the bezel over as it seemed to be upside down (the two grooves don't go all the way through on my two) and found hidden HA chipping.

Kev.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheesy agreed my tool is not for the faint hearted and it will find those so called sapphire lens out very quickly lol,but I wonder if there would be call for ......:thinking: word removed I have a plan,

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

you could tether a lanyard around the waist I guess,but yes maybe a lanyard ring of sorts would be better.

yes i did that, and it functions well, but its just that, it would be cooler if I the user didnt have to improvise a way to lanyard it up y'know?

:tinfoil:

still waiting on my replacement though.....

Crenshaw

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast

em yes a tool would be nice to be included with the S2 in future,BTW did you see a pic of the one I use on all my lights?

Slightly off topic, but i bought one of those after you've pointed me to it. Thanks a lot, it's a VERY useful thing to have! :thumbsup:

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened

I don't have a problem with the metal tool, the :eek: was for an alternate meaning (Google 'define:tool', bottom of the first list).

The first price I found for 28mm Nylon 66 rod was under $30 for a 3000mm length, enough to make 60 so they could effectively be included free. I suspect there is a very healthy mark up on the JB ones at $8 as the raw materials are worth <$1, although the machining is a bit complex.

Kev.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes i did that, and it functions well, but its just that, it would be cooler if I the user didnt have to improvise a way to lanyard it up y'know?

:tinfoil:

still waiting on my replacement though.....

Crenshaw
let us know when you get the replacement,lanyard?agreed something like this maybe?
004.jpg

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Slightly off topic, but i bought one of those after you've pointed me to it. Thanks a lot, it's a VERY useful thing to have! :thumbsup:
Great it is what I use you just have to be careful that's all,but I it adjusts to fit any light that was my point,now where are my plan drawings :thinking:

[edit]Ok my plan has worked on my tool just super glue 2 thin plastic bit to the contact area,there ya go no scratched lens.:twothumbs

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

let us know when you get the replacement,lanyard?agreed something like this maybe?
004.jpg
YES! now where is that from?

i tried the one from my SFC2, it works, but the tail cant screw all the way down, so its locked out..

Crenshaw

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crenshaw that is a NOVATAC ring,now you can add the ring but you will need to place a brass/copper washer "bear in mind it does not touch the spring" in the tail cap so you have a complete circuit.BTW make sure it is about .50mm thick maybe get away with .75mm

[edit]sorry I forgot your ? you can get them from lighthound.

Last edited:

Latest posts