Teaser blackout

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I had a blackout just now. Power was out along my whole block. I reached for the closest thing, my iphone and quickly found my Kroma (running on a 17500) Then I grabbed my C2 Millenium w/ P60L for my girlfriend. I walked outside with my neighbor to see how many houses were out of power.

I walked back inside and grabbed my milky candle, preparing for the long haul and then the power came back on.

I have to say im a little dissapointed but as the power was out I was more worried about how my girfriend and I were gonna stay warm as the outside temp is 27 deg F and feel like is 17 deg F. Our house heater is electric.

I have my brother's Army Wool blanket and his issue ECWCS gear (parka, pants, and sleeping bag) the ECWCS system is good for -50 deg F supposedly.

So im a little dissapointed I didnt get to enjoy the darkness as much, but the cold weather makes me happy I have heat haha.

D-Dog

Enlightened
Yup, that has happened too many times to me too (although we usually get brownouts at my house). Usually by the time I can even grab for my EDC in my pocket the lights are back :-( However, given your situation I am kinda glad the blackout was temporary because no heat is far worse in my opinion(especially with it being that cold).

If your heat is all electric as you mentioned, I would seriously think about getting a small gas heater (like a Mr. Heater or something of the sort) and a few one pound tanks of propane. In a pinch it could keep a room or two quite toasty(although you have to remember the heater will use up oxygen in a hurry in a small clossed room which is why you have to be carflul).

My grandparents have one for just the ocassion because they are in the same position (all electric heat), however, they can not afford with their age to function in a cold environment for extended periods of time.

radar696

Newly Enlightened
Even though this forum is all about flashlights and such you must always remember to keep some candles on hand.

Remember that candles have a much better shelf life than any power cell you'll ever find! Well unless it has a Nuclear source!:thumbsup:

Yes and the small propane space heater isn't a bad idea either. They even offer adapter hoses for those things so you can attach it to a twenty pound cylinder. Pull the tank right off of the BBQ grill if you have to.:candle:

D-Dog

Enlightened
Even though this forum is all about flashlights and such you must always remember to keep some candles on hand.

Remember that candles have a much better shelf life than any power cell you'll ever find! Well unless it has a Nuclear source!:thumbsup:

Yes and the small propane space heater isn't a bad idea either. They even offer adapter hoses for those things so you can attach it to a twenty pound cylinder. Pull the tank right off of the BBQ grill if you have to.:candle:

Good thinking as the 1 pound tanks are not the most economical and a number of homeowners already have a 20 tank from a gas grill

Illum

Flashaholic
I have to say im a little dissapointed but as the power was out I was more worried about how my girfriend and I were gonna stay warm

That is too much of a teaser to post that:nana:
EDIT: Stress_Test got here first

Don't rely on electric as your sole heater. Get yourself a Mr. Camper catalytic heater that runs on propane. It has a low oxygen sensor so its usable indoors and out.

the power here do flicker [sending my UPS's screaming like banshees] when its cold outside [~40-50F], I wonder...are transformers affected by the cold?

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder...are transformers affected by the cold?

Yes. :crackup: Sorry I couldnt resist haha
large_Transformers%20-%20Frozen%20Megatron-ethsq1mf.jpg

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I had a blackout just now. Power was out along my whole block. I reached for the closest thing, my iphone and quickly found my Kroma (running on a 17500) Then I grabbed my C2 Millenium w/ P60L for my girlfriend. I walked outside with my neighbor to see how many houses were out of power.

I walked back inside and grabbed my milky candle, preparing for the long haul and then the power came back on.

I have to say im a little dissapointed but as the power was out I was more worried about how my girfriend and I were gonna stay warm as the outside temp is 27 deg F and feel like is 17 deg F. Our house heater is electric.

I have my brother's Army Wool blanket and his issue ECWCS gear (parka, pants, and sleeping bag) the ECWCS system is good for -50 deg F supposedly.

So im a little dissapointed I didnt get to enjoy the darkness as much, but the cold weather makes me happy I have heat haha.

might be a good idea to pick up an alternative power source heater for you for emergencies?

a lil propane heater would only be $35 and might save a life?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pffft - a cold weather sleeping bag for two from the civilian market, lots of blankets and a girlfriend. Throw in some thermal underwear and you're good.

Small, alternatively powered heaters are well and good, but a non-powered backup is always nice.

Especially if you live in an area prone to both cold weather and power outages.

-Trevor

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I remember several years ago, we had a blizzard here that kept the power off for several days. On the morning of the third day, I woke up and checked my inside thermometer and it was reading 33 degrees. I already had every blanket I owned plus a sleeping bag on my bed and I was just barely able to stay warm. I thought about going out and sitting in my car for awhile with the heater running and then I thought about my gas barbecue grill. I went out on the back porch and swept the snow off of it and dragged it inside and fired it up. I turned it on low and in no time, my little apartment was warm as toast. I was careful to keep a couple of windows open slightly to keep a good oxygen supply in the room. Not only was I able to keep warm, I was also able to heat up something to eat. That night, the power came back on but I sure was glad I had that grill.