EX10 Emitter Replacement

Budman231

Enlightened
I love my EX10. I have all the toys 4 it, tritium, Ti bezel, clip... The only thing I am not crazy about is the Cree emitter. Tint is bluish and has slight doughnut.
Does anyone know if I can swap out the Cree for a warmer tint LED like a R100 ?
Would the reflector mess up any other leds beam pattern?
Is it difficult to disassemble the head ?

Thanks in advance
Budman

Axion

Enlightened
The head is super easy to dis-assemble, just unscrew the bezel an everything comes out. From there swapping the emitter would just be a solder job. As for how a non-cree emitter would work with that reflector, I'll leave that to those who know better.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
are you sure its a doughnut beam? its probably just got the cree ring thats typical for any small reflectored light, and the only led that would work in that reflector is a cree, your best be would be to get a ex10 gdp edition and swap the goodies onto that light and sell the xre...

kenzo

Newly Enlightened
Yes. I am also interested in how the D10 can be opened.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I am also interested in how the D10 can be opened.

It is very easy with the EX10. Separate the head from the battery section. ( For some reason, this makes it easier to remove the SS bezel.) Press the SS bezel into a rubber sole that has a gripping tread on it like on a tennis shoe. While you firmly press the bezel into the rubber, turn counter clockwise and the bezel should loosen. Remove the bezel, the lens, and then the O-ring under the lens. Tip the head over and the reflector and light engine will fall out.
Reverse the procedure to reassemble.

With the D10, you need special tools to remove the engine and reflector. I am not sure if 4SEVENS can provide them for you or not. I would check with him since some time ago he said they might be available in the future.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I love my EX10. I have all the toys 4 it, tritium, Ti bezel, clip... The only thing I am not crazy about is the Cree emitter. Tint is bluish and has slight doughnut.
Does anyone know if I can swap out the Cree for a warmer tint LED like a R100 ?
Would the reflector mess up any other leds beam pattern?
Is it difficult to disassemble the head ?

Thanks in advance
Budman
Head comes apart really easy.
A rebel is not something I would wrestle with! To small for me to manage.
Get yourself a 5A Q3 from someone on the Marketplace and swap it out.
Going with either a 5A Q2 or a 5A Q3 (both Cree) means you don't have to change anything else. Using some other Led might mean alot more work on your part.
Takes very little time to just swap the led!
Doughnut is from moving the emitter either too far or not far enough into the reflector. Just experiment a little to find the sweet spot.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread might help. If you unscrew the bezel, and take out the o-ring with your fingernail... everything falls out the top.

The only problem I have is that most of these manufacturers use a Cree on a very small, rounded star... and no one sells these stars. =\ That and neither dealextreme or kai sell p60 drop-ins with WH R2's anymore. :duh2:

Budman231

Enlightened
are you sure its a doughnut beam? its probably just got the cree ring thats typical for any small reflectored light, and the only led that would work in that reflector is a cree, your best be would be to get a ex10 gdp edition and swap the goodies onto that light and sell the xre...

Does the GD have the same brightness on high as the Cree ?

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
A little little bit less lumens. I think a hair less runtime but I may be confusing it with another light, I get confused when I am sick.

The throw is lessened and the spill is brighter from the pics I have seen.