surefire E2D LED Defender vrs Olight M20 Warrior PREMIUM

hnoppenberger

Newly Enlightened
i am up on the fence between these two lights.

i live almost next to the surefire HQ in fountain valley, so what attracts me to the surefire is no questions asked fixes for the light when it breaks
(have a E2E used for work and have had the tail cap and bulbs replaced free)

the thing i hate about the e2e is it goes through batterys and bulbs WAY to fast. and i cant use rechargables because that reduces bulb life to almost nothing.

now the price is 150 for the SF and almost 100 for the o light.

just seeing if anyone can shed some light on this if they have had some comparisons between the two.

i am a mechanic and hunter and go through lights like mad at work. would really like a tough light that will last me for years. i was planning on using the 4 pack rechargables from battery junction.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF
I have both these lights and i would recommend both of them.
You said you go through lights like crazy,well my E2DL fell off a 50ft scaffold once and landed on asphalt.
Other than the war wounds the light works perfect,how's that for durability?
I use rechargable LiFePo4 cells in mine.
Truly an amazing light that puts out way more than 120 lumens.
The M20 is also a great light,don't know if it's as durable but it looks like it's built tuff.
This sucker can throw a beam like a hand held lazer.The UI is really good exept for the headache inducing strobe.
I get almost 3hrs of (unregulated) runtime with a 18650 cell,and just over an hour with RCR123's regulated and a bit brighter.
They're both great lights, the Surefire is definately worth the extra cash.
If you could afford it get both.

P.S you'll never have to worry about burnt out bulbs with these babies and yes they will last many,many years.

Last edited:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I'm fighting the urge to buy an E2DL so I vote that way.

Same. I have the E2D incan, and I love it (got the lumens factory 7.2v/150 lumen bulb in it).

But I want that E2DL badly... 120 lumens, and we all know that surefire far understates their lumen values.

hnoppenberger

Newly Enlightened
sounds like im sold on the ED2L.... again surefires right next to my house so if anything breaks im good to go.

i wonder if i can use the redfilters that i have for my e2e on the ed2l??

thanks for the welcome guys... im a regular at calguns.net and was refered by a guy who comes here.

im a mechanic that uses a light daily, and most weekends hunting/being outdoors.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Amazing! I'm also considering both of these lights. I'm kind of leaning towards the Olight M20 Warrior Premium (what a mouthful) because:

1. I like the idea of 3 brightness levels
2. It looks pretty nicely made
3. The high output level will definitely let me see the critters in my yard (usually deer) when I'm walking to my observatory dome.
4. The price for this light is terrific! (Although SF certainly makes very high quality lights, worth the premium).
5. I have five surefire lights already that I purchased several years ago, and maybe it's time to spread the love around?

But maybe I'm not thinking this all the way through?

Oh, I used to post on here from time to time when I could still hike at night. I don't do that anymore, but the walk out to my observatory is DARK, so I still use lights. I thought I'd escaped flashaholism - but apparently that's not the case! So hi again!

hnoppenberger

Newly Enlightened
well hell, battery junction has free shipping and a box of free batterys i can use with my E2E incan. bulb light.....
and its a 1" bezel i can use my red filter for night hunting yotes and rabbit.
needless to say i just pulled the trigger on a E2DL.

again, thanks for the welcome and help guys!

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
After studying "The Sun" review of 6 lights which included these 2, the one I would add to my collection is the Olight M20 Warrior R2. It is definitely more powerful than the E2DL, has 3 modes so you can turn it down and save batteries and still cost less than the E2DL. The Olight M20 W R2 definitely throws further than the E2DL and still have more useful spill. It is a far superior tactical light.

hnoppenberger

Newly Enlightened
After studying "The Sun" review of 6 lights which included these 2, the one I would add to my collection is the Olight M20 Warrior R2. It is definitely more powerful than the E2DL, has 3 modes so you can turn it down and save batteries and still cost less than the E2DL. The Olight M20 W R2 definitely throws further than the E2DL and still have more useful spill. It is a far superior tactical light.

its far superior save for a few things.

e2dL
no questions asked fix policy at their store (1 mile away from home)
waterproof- tried and tested.
tried and tested mounted on firearms, sustained abuse aplications.

the o light is nice i just dont want to spend 100 bucks and have it break in a year or two. when the surefire will be replaced no problem.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
good call on the E2DL. if one were to even consider paying 100 for this "Olight" then a little more gives one a light that has two great output levels and a life time warranty. I have a few of the E2DLs and E1Bs and find no need for anything else.

Since you are so close to SF the Karma will come back and reward you.:twothumbs

1996alnl

Enlightened
well hell, battery junction has free shipping and a box of free batterys i can use with my E2E incan. bulb light.....
and its a 1" bezel i can use my red filter for night hunting yotes and rabbit.
needless to say i just pulled the trigger on a E2DL.

again, thanks for the welcome and help guys!

Good choice:thumbsup:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
its far superior save for a few things.

e2dL
no questions asked fix policy at their store (1 mile away from home)
waterproof- tried and tested.
tried and tested mounted on firearms, sustained abuse aplications.

the o light is nice i just dont want to spend 100 bucks and have it break in a year or two. when the surefire will be replaced no problem.

FYI:
The M20 is IP-68 rated; dust proof and immersion tested at over 1M. Not a diving light but still quite 'waterproof.'
The M20 has been weapon-mount tested - 500 rounds on an AR15 IIRC.

It's been my experience that few lights simply 'break' in a year or two; most fail in the first few hours of use. Those that have a problem later invariably just need a switch replaced as the switch is the mechanical part most prone to failure - that goes for ANY brand of light.

These are two of my favorite lights - you simply cannot go wrong with either choice.
The M20 is clearly brighter, less expensive and has more features; the E2DL is smaller, a Surefire and has an amazing warranty. In our IS testing we saw in excess of 160L on the E2DL we tested - the M20 Premium was ~215-220.

My .02.

Happy holidays! :)

Dangarand

Newly Enlightened
I have the E2DL already and I am looking at buying the m20 warrior premium R2.

I want the m20 warrior because of the reported 250lumen output and the strobe feature.

I really would like to know how much brighter the m20 warrior is compared to the E2DL. I know surefire underrates their lights and was wondering if anyone who has both of them can give me a little info about the differences in brightness at full blast before I fork over the $100 bucks.

THANKS!

Forgoten214

Enlightened
Pictures anyone? :-D . I like both these lights as well and don't know what I would like the best. Also what are some of the prices around for these lights?

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Pictures anyone? :-D . I like both these lights as well and don't know what I would like the best. Also what are some of the prices around for these lights?

I own both of these lights. I will try to post some side-by-side comparison photos of the two sometime tomorrow. I will say that the Olight is noticeably larger than the E2DL so if you are looking for something compact, then the E2DL will be the better deal.

As far as prices, the ED2L has an MSRP of $149. 4sevens has the Olight M20 Warrior Premium for $99.95 (if you order from them, make sure to use the CPF discount).